Deandre Ayton and Rookie expectations

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Smaller guys who have the rock more, get better votes in the ROY and MVP voting. Guys who need to be fed the ball like Ayton do worse. I've seen a couple shows where ex-NBA players point this out. More bias on the guy who is the creator versus the big men finishers. That said Doncic earned ROY. Historically, Ayton measures well for his first year compared to former NBA greats.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Super Sweet! First team. Pretty much lead by three guys according to points. Maybe the Luka Doncic ROY not locked looking at the points Trae garnered?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whoever voted Ayton second team should be castrated with a dull, rusty spoon.

I looked at the votes too, and was like who else is going to be first team instead of Ayton.

Last edited:

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Dallas pretty much ran their whole offense through Doncic for about three quarters of the season. It's not really surprising he put up the best numbers of any rookie. Meanwhile, Ayton spent half of his playing time setting screens at the three point line and generally floundering around in Igor's clueless offensive sets.

I will give Doncic props for being more mentally mature and ready for the NBA, however. But that should also be somewhat expected given he had already been playing for years in a professional league with more mature competition than any of the other rookies.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think we are going to love us some bridges over the years, but yes he would’ve solved one major hope for us likely. I was high on him.
A teammate of Ayton’s, fellow Suns rookie Mikal Bridges, was the leading vote-getter among players who didn’t make either the first or second team. He received one first-team vote and 29 second-team votes.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Monty Williams on Ayton, above.

"I was excited about what he didn't know....." I get what Mony Williams is saying. The talent he does have with how little he nows lends a huge room for growth. However, a year into the NBA and his knowledge is that lacking? WYF? What were Igor and Corlis WIliamson doing with this guy? I know once in season practices are few, but Williamson should have been working on at least one move to try and perfect for Ayton once in season. That explains a lot of why Ayton looked like he did at Arizona. That was the last time he was coached, it sounds like.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Monty Williams on Ayton, above.

"I was excited about what he didn't know....." I get what Mony Williams is saying. The talent he does have with how little he nows lends a huge room for growth. However, a year into the NBA and his knowledge is that lacking? WYF? What were Igor and Corlis WIliamson doing with this guy? I know once in season practices are few, but Williamson should have been working on at least one move to try and perfect for Ayton once in season. That explains a lot of why Ayton looked like he did at Arizona. That was the last time he was coached, it sounds like.
Maybe he was coming from ground zero and so he learned a lot during the year but still had a ton left to learn. Very few things players are complete even by their third year in the league. So it’s not surprising there was a lot left untapped after a single season.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Maybe he was coming from ground zero and so he learned a lot during the year but still had a ton left to learn. Very few things players are complete even by their third year in the league. So it’s not surprising there was a lot left untapped after a single season.
When I was a kid, I read a lot of basketball books, and biographies. What stood out to me was the old school way of teaching was to have a guy work on a signature move all during a season. Until that move was perfected and basically unstoppable. Then, next season, new move. Then four or five seasons later, a guy had enough moves that were highly polished, he moved into the realm of seasoned professional. A lot of the books, the players commented on how they fealt they were light years away from being a good professional during their rookie years. Wilt's biography he acknowledged how much skill he knew the other players had. I was just surprised, as the season went along for the Suns last year we didn't start seeing a play or move, that was an obvious, so that's what they have Ayton working on! Usually you can see guys developing at least one move during their rookie year.

For example, Mikal Bridges on defense started playing tighter up on guys dribbling. I noticed by the end of the year at least one or two strips of guys dribbles happened every game. That was encouraging because here's a rookie stripping the ball from seasoned veterans. Mikal you could see they had him working on that dribble strip move.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rookie of the year or not most draft experts had him being a guy that wasn’t exactly going to hit the floor running like Doncic. I think the ceiling is higher for Ayton.

What has me so excited about him is he is still learning to play big in the NBA and he put up decent numbers.

When I watch him play he seems like he wants to follow not lead. At times he is passive and hesitant. The best way I can describe it? It’s like the lights are not exactly on yet. When he figures out he can do what he wants against most other players!? Watch out for this kid!

You guys agree or disagree?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Rookie of the year or not most draft experts had him being a guy that wasn’t exactly going to hit the floor running like Doncic. I think the ceiling is higher for Ayton.

What has me so excited about him is he is still learning to play big in the NBA and he put up decent numbers.

When I watch him play he seems like he wants to follow not lead. At times he is passive and hesitant. The best way I can describe it? It’s like the lights are not exactly on yet. When he figures out he can do what he wants against most other players!? Watch out for this kid!

Generally agree. I just don’t know if he’ll ever have the dawg enough to want to destroy opponents the way he likely could.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Agree! Fans can't expect a rookie to step into the NBA and play as an experienced Center.

Especially having played on the perimeter as Power Forward in his one year at UofA.

Developing the all around skills to match his rookie stats, as well as the confidence to be
dominant (in his own way), could come with his initial years of experience. A key will be
the coaching he receives. Coaching that he evidently did not receive his rookie season.
And being used properly on the court, which he was not under Igor.

Ayton appears to be mature for his young age. That is a plus. Especially being from the
laid back atmosphere of the Bahamas. Tucson was a step up. Phoenix and the NBA are
another step up.

Hopefully, the Suns will field a balanced roster around him so he can develop his role.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Generally agree. I just don’t know if he’ll ever have the dawg enough to want to destroy opponents the way he likely could.
Did Lou Alcindor "destroy" opponents? Did Bill Russell "destroy" opponents?

Reasonable expectations preclude disappointment. And utilizing players to
their strengths which, of course, must be developed by good coaching.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Did Lou Alcindor "destroy" opponents? Did Bill Russell "destroy" opponents?

Reasonable expectations preclude disappointment. And utilizing players to
their strengths which, of course, must be developed by good coaching.
Yes Kareem demoralized them with his skill. Russell destroyed them defensively. Ayton has a physical superiority that neither of them did, but has neither the finesse of Kareem nor the defensive prowess of Russell. So he needs to maximize what he’s capable of, which should be physical dominance.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That is definitely a possibility but what a waste of potential that would be. Not that I am saying Ayton will be a HOF or superstar but we have seen great players discover a new gear when that light goes on.

I hope that happens.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My heart says he should do what KAT did and average 21 and 11. My head says big men struggle in year one so 14 and 8. I will split the difference and says 17 and 9

I was pretty close. 16.3 and 10.3

With Josh Jackson being the best guy at giving him an entry pass.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think we are looking at an AD or Dwight Howard type center out of Ayton. A guy who wins with skill moves, and not an Embid, Shaq, Wilt power guy. As Suns fans we just have to acknowlege Ayton is not going to be a power center, but more of a skill center.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we are looking at an AD or Dwight Howard type center out of Ayton. A guy who wins with skill moves, and not an Embid, Shaq, Wilt power guy. As Suns fans we just have to acknowlege Ayton is not going to be a power center, but more of a skill center.

Interesting that you put Howard in with the skill players, I'd have put him in with the power guys myself. As for Ayton, I don't know what he'll end up becoming. But IMO he has the physical gifts to play the finesse game and he could bang and battle with the power guys too should he desire that enough to actually commit to putting the work in.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Interesting that you put Howard in with the skill players, I'd have put him in with the power guys myself. As for Ayton, I don't know what he'll end up becoming. But IMO he has the physical gifts to play the finesse game and he could bang and battle with the power guys too should he desire that enough to actually commit to putting the work in.

With Igor gone, and if Jones can bring in a legit Power Forward, Ayton will have the opportunity to develop, and
hopefully thrive, at Center, instead of being stationed at the 3-point line setting picks.

Just as, if Jones can bring in a legit Point Guard, Booker will have the opportunity to thrive at Shooting Guard
full time.

What a strange and remarkable coincidence. Putting the work in . . . at the right place. :)

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
With Igor gone, and if Jones can bring in a legit Power Forward, Ayton will have the opportunity to develop, and
hopefully thrive, at Center, instead of being stationed at the 3-point line setting picks.

Just as, if Jones can bring in a legit Point Guard, Booker will have the opportunity to thrive at Shooting Guard
full time.

What a strange and remarkable coincidence. Putting the work in . . . at the right place. :)
What I like is Monty Williams has a history of working with big men and developing them more traditionally. I expect a bump up from Ayton, and possibly more minutes, too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose