DeAndre Ayton: “I’m not struggling on defense”

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by sunsfan88, Feb 13, 2019.

1. sunsfan88

sunsfan88 Registered

The “they don’t have anything bad to say about my game so they pick and choose” thing sounds almost like someone full of themselves.

He is right though in that he stays with perimeter players pretty well on switches and such. However, I’m not sure he isn’t struggling on that end overall (especially rim protection wise) though I do expect him to get better on that end as he gains experience.

Good read overall on his rookie season.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  2. iLLmatiC

iLLmatiC Drive-by Poster

Struggling on defense would imply he plays defense.

Ronin likes this.
  3. slinslin

slinslin Welcome to Amareca

The Suns are way better on defense with him on the court that is for sure

4. 95pro

95pro Registered

Booker usually looses his guy or doesn't switch quick enough, then there goes our perimeter defense. By then Ayton is too late to come over on help defense. We've seen Ayton do a great job 1 on 1 when defending a guard, it's not a quickness or lateral issues with him. Sometimes its his drive but you can't help feel for him to be defeated when our perimeter defense breaks down far too often.

5. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

We fail to see this often. There is more to D than blocking shots.

6. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

And when he's defending the smallest player on the court, who is defending the tallest?

That is a management shortcoming.

7. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks ASFN Contributor Contributor

That's the NBA. Teams will cause you to have to switch your big man onto a guard and thus get the little guy stuck guarding a big man. This is why it is so important that your big men can keep up with the small guys when it happens.

8. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

Ayton is better than some people think, but he is delusional if he really thinks he is a good defender with a Kevin Garnett mentality. I am guessing he knows he is not a good defender, and has some serious insecurities about it.

9. sunsfan88

sunsfan88 Registered

This could be because the alternate options are even worse (Holmes, for examples is just too small even though he plays with great energy).

10. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Señor Caca Cabeza Contributor

It seems that's the mentality some posters take on when Ayton is criticized, maybe he learned that excuse from the ASFN board? That is what some say when people are critical of Ayton, even when praising him with 90% of their post.

sunsfan88 likes this.
  11. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Señor Caca Cabeza Contributor

And just how often is he defending the smallest guy on the court? Did you quit watching games? I think there might be a shot or two like that where Ayton is "guarding" or switched off onto the opposing team's PG but even then, he should be sending that ball into their face but he's not even picking up easy blocks like that.

12. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Right, there is letting your man (zubac) and everyone else on the clippers score over and over again at the rim. Zubac was a better defender at the rim for the clips last night than was Ayton. He just flat out sucks defensively. So many of you want to say it’s just a lack of blocks but otherwise he’s so good. He’s not. Teams score at will on us in the paint. Ayton makes little effort to deter them, and in the rare instances where he “tries” he’s horribly ineffective. He’s got the tools to become better. But if he thinks he doesn’t have to (and that’s what this article is full of, false bravado) he’s not going to put in the work.

He likes the shiny things like shooting. Imo, to this point in his young career, he hasn’t found the hunger to put in the work and get dirty. Again last night 3 FTs against a young less athletic zubac and a dude in Harrell who, while a strong guy, is FIVE INCHES SHORTER than Ayton. And Ayton is shooting fadeaways.

I’m hopeful for his future, but I’m realistic about his present. And at present he’s the BIG PUSS.

sunsfan88 likes this.
  13. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Has No Time For Love

That's like saying..... "In a field full of tree stumps, Ayton is the tallest."

He is an abomination on defense. I think he is top 5 in the league in the opposing FG against category.. Make no mistake about it... He's really bad.

14. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Exactly. One of our smalls (or even JJ or Bridges) takes it at any other teams big and they get swatted. Tiny pgs run layup drills on Ayton.

15. elindholm

elindholm edited for content

His one-on-one defense is pretty good, but he doesn't anticipate well. The reason other teams score in the paint so easily is that Ayton is bad at recognizing when his defensive assignment is about to change. It's like one of those primitive video games in which the human operator gets to assign exactly one task to each virtual player before the play is run, and if you happen to guess wrong about how the play is going to unfold, the player is laughably out of position with no ability to contribute.

Bufalay and SirStefan32 like this.