DeAndre Ayton: “I’m not struggling on defense”

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Why would Ayton spend any time working on anything he doesn't intend to apply on the court? More to my concern is that he is working on something that will take him further from the basket. He should be working with a big man coach on positioning and defense under the basket.

If the team’s primary ball-handler looked for him he’d those opportunities during actual games. Playtracking data say he’s top-5 in the league in paint touches. Again take these advanced metrics with a grain of salt.

His touch is really advanced I think he needs to be more aggressive and it will result in guys feeding him more. His per-36 FT attempts per game is the same as rookie Alex Len.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Maybe you are correct poophead but the statement specifically says "The suns" followed by "They're" working on "Ayton's".

I know we are splitting hairs here and you may be right but Ayton shooting threes would seem to fit with Igor's European style and would seem to fit with how he has been used so far this season.

If Ayton was doing this on his own the statement should read. Ayton has been working on his 3pt shooting after practice.

Do you agree that "they" whoever that is would be better served working on Aytons interior positioning and defense, or do you think Ayton shooting 3's is is a good idea?

I'm not trying to be combative I just don't understand why any time is being spent on something that would move the teams best rebounder away from the basket on the leagues worst rebounding team. Especially considering previous revelations that the team rarely has time to practice during the season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe you are correct poophead but the statement specifically says "The suns" followed by "They're" working on "Ayton's".

I know we are splitting hairs here and you may be right but Ayton shooting threes would seem to fit with Igor's European style and would seem to fit with how he has been used so far this season.

If Ayton was doing this on his own the statement should read. Ayton has been working on his 3pt shooting after practice.

Do you agree that "they" whoever that is would be better served working on Aytons interior positioning and defense, or do you think Ayton shooting 3's is is a good idea?

I'm not trying to be combative I just don't understand why any time is being spent on something that would move the teams best rebounder away from the basket on the leagues worst rebounding team. Especially considering previous revelations that the team rarely has time to practice during the season.

It's hardly European, look around the NBA at the big men who have been asked to drag their defender to the 3 point line. In today's NBA you want your big man to be a threat from distance. I wouldn't care for it if they were talking about turning him into a primary weapon from the outside but after practice seems like a good time to work on those kinds of shots.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I get what you're saying but guessing who "they" are is just that, guessing. We don't know who that is supposed to be. Since the article says it's being done after practice I'm not going to get worked up over it. Our rebounding sucks but we don't know what they're devoting time to during practice. That could have something to do with why Ayton decides to practice his 3pt shooting afterwards. If he's working on rebounding throughout or towards the end then maybe he just wants a break from that, we don't know. I think the author could have expressed that part a lot better though because it does raise some questions. I'll quote it again just for reference and to keep anyone else from having to click on the article,

"The Suns are very aware there’s more to tap into. They’re working on Ayton’s three-point shot after practices, after all."

That is too vague. I'll try reaching out to the author on Twitter to see if he'll clarify who the "they" are in that case but I don't think it's that important to how the Suns are right now. I would like to know because I'd like to know who on the coaching staff, or on the team, is trying to help him develop a 3pt shot.

Ultimately our defensive rebounding needs to improve more than our offensive, IMO. We give up too many 2nd chance points and that's a recipe for losses on it's own. If Ayton grabbed a few extra offensive rebounds it would help us keep things closer or get some easy points but working on his 3pt shot isn't useless if he can develop it well enough to start running a pick & pop with Booker, Tyler Johnson, Jackson, or Crawford instead of just rolling. That would actually add a new element to our offensive that might help keep opposing defenses on their toes and make it harder for them to predict what we're doing offensively.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
I get what you're saying but guessing who "they" are is just that, guessing. We don't know who that is supposed to be. Since the article says it's being done after practice I'm not going to get worked up over it. Our rebounding sucks but we don't know what they're devoting time to during practice. That could have something to do with why Ayton decides to practice his 3pt shooting afterwards. If he's working on rebounding throughout or towards the end then maybe he just wants a break from that, we don't know. I think the author could have expressed that part a lot better though because it does raise some questions. I'll quote it again just for reference and to keep anyone else from having to click on the article,

That is too vague. I'll try reaching out to the author on Twitter to see if he'll clarify who the "they" are in that case but I don't think it's that important to how the Suns are right now. I would like to know because I'd like to know who on the coaching staff, or on the team, is trying to help him develop a 3pt shot.

Ultimately our defensive rebounding needs to improve more than our offensive, IMO. We give up too many 2nd chance points and that's a recipe for losses on it's own. If Ayton grabbed a few extra offensive rebounds it would help us keep things closer or get some easy points but working on his 3pt shot isn't useless if he can develop it well enough to start running a pick & pop with Booker, Tyler Johnson, Jackson, or Crawford instead of just rolling. That would actually add a new element to our offensive that might help keep opposing defenses on their toes and make it harder for them to predict what we're doing offensively.

Thank you, I'm now curious to find out. I'm not arguing that Ayton shooting 3s is a bad thing. I look at it this way, mowing your grass is good but if your house is on fire you should address that first. :)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thank you, I'm now curious to find out. I'm not arguing that Ayton shooting 3s is a bad thing. I look at it this way, mowing your grass is good but if your house is on fire you should address that first. :)

Surprisingly enough he responded fairly quick. It was written by Kevin Zimmerman

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

In case the tweet disappears, here is his quote, I asked him who the "they" were that were working with Ayton on his 3's and this is what he said...

"Usually Cody Toppert, whose has a lot of exp. in development. Hard to say when they would green-light him to shoot threes. Imagine 3s come after they start running O out of him more in post, which they sprinkled in once."

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
So he has nowhere to improve. o_O

I guess it's the accepted norm for NBA D in 2019. The team gives up 116+ pp and he isn't a primary factor starting at C?! :?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
So he has nowhere to improve. o_O

I guess it's the accepted norm for NBA D in 2019. The team gives up 116+ pp and he isn't a primary factor starting at C?! :?
The primary factor of our bad defense is perimeter players consistently losing their man or allowing penetration way too easily.

The Suns have a defense rating of 115, Ayton however of 112.

He is the last of our problems.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
The primary factor of our bad defense is perimeter players consistently losing their man or allowing penetration way too easily.

Please. Use ur eyes.

It's night and day watching Ayton play on D and how Holmes plays. It's not really that close as to who is better defensively. Ayton has stepped it up the last two games. Let's see how he finishes out.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
If I was coach K, I'd start Holmes with Ayton at PF for the rest of the season. Nothing to lose to evaluate that combo. Or at least with a second unit, playing that configuration.

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score
Ayton's D was not bad at all last night. I have seen improvements the last few games. Again, the coaching is not helping him. He continually follows his player and sags out way to far. He needs to focus on trying to stay in the post more. If the coaches aren't correcting that then they have some responsibility in this.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If I was coach K, I'd start Holmes with Ayton at PF for the rest of the season. Nothing to lose to evaluate that combo. Or at least with a second unit, playing that configuration.

I’ve been saying this. This “system” does not work with the players in place they need to go to a more traditional line up, but it won’t happen

The system works- Former suns coach Igor

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmm. Is the best use for Ayton just covering the other team's best player every game? Probably not pg's but still. Maybe he is just being misused as a rim protector. He certainly did an admirable job with LeBron.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmm. Is the best use for Ayton just covering the other team's best player every game? Probably not pg's but still. Maybe he is just being misused as a rim protector. He certainly did an admirable job with LeBron.

I think that's a better role than rim protector but only if the opposing teams best player is a PF or C, so it won't happen a lot. Bridges is our best perimeter defender, probably, and he couldn't guard most PF's or guys Lebron's size until he adds some serious muscle. Jackson should be big enough but he's in the doghouse right now and is also inconsistent so that takes him out of it. We need a PF like a Kenneth Faried perhaps who can pose as a rim protector and rebounder on defense so Ayton can get away with playing on the perimeter defensively.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think that's a better role than rim protector but only if the opposing teams best player is a PF or C, so it won't happen a lot. Bridges is our best perimeter defender, probably, and he couldn't guard most PF's or guys Lebron's size until he adds some serious muscle. Jackson should be big enough but he's in the doghouse right now and is also inconsistent so that takes him out of it. We need a PF like a Kenneth Faried perhaps who can pose as a rim protector and rebounder on defense so Ayton can get away with playing on the perimeter defensively.
We need Zion. Ayton can take the best opposing pf or c one on one and Zion can just hang back block shots from the weak side. Oh man. That would work.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

this is such an odd thing for a C to not know how to do... especially for a guy who's offense comes very naturally. hoping we get a big man coach who can really make a difference here. He's got to get better at the rim.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
See holmes is a shorter guy but with a quick jump, it's a little deceiving to opponents, I bet, when they get their shot swated by Holmes.

Where as Ayton is taller so they measure him up first and lob it over him.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why I keep harping on having a quality coach in here. The coaches job is to not only improve his young players but put them in the best position to succeed. Igor is not that guy.

Sure...now reality kicks in regarding a quality coach wanting to come here. However, the Suns may have to seriously overpay for a quality coach. Do what you have to do.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is why I keep harping on having a quality coach in here. The coaches job is to not only improve his young players but put them in the best position to succeed. Igor is not that guy.

Sure...now reality kicks in regarding a quality coach wanting to come here. However, the Suns may have to seriously overpay for a quality coach. Do what you have to do.
OK. I understand that people are frustrated that situations like this exist, but before Igor came, he was considered exactly that guy. He was considered the BEST guy in the business for teaching and guiding young players and that reputation was developed over 17 years in the league. I know its common habit when the students aren't learning fast enough to blame the teachers. But I would hate to fire a good teacher, get a worse teacher and then find out that the problem was slow students.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. I understand that people are frustrated that situations like this exist, but before Igor came, he was considered exactly that guy. He was considered the BEST guy in the business for teaching and guiding young players and that reputation was developed over 17 years in the league. I know its common habit when the students aren't learning fast enough to blame the teachers. But I would hate to fire a good teacher, get a worse teacher and then find out that the problem was slow students.

That's not entirely accurate. Who valued him as the best in the business? Seems to me the market was very small for Igor in the NBA. I didn't see any bidding wars happening over our coach. Second, it doesn't matter what people "thought".

The NBA is full of coaches some people "thought" would be the best for something. That doesn't mean what people thought were correct.

Here is my thing. When I look at a team that isn't completely devoid of talent. Has some unique players like Booker and said coach really hasn't brought anything to the table? There is a problem. He just helped the Suns set a new record in futility.

If Igor had been bringing anything to the table I would be happy with that. I just don't see it.