Dbacks acquire new closer

TEAMPETE

Rookie
Reaction score
JJ left the game tonight with a hand injury. In all honesty this is the best thing that could happen for this team. Gibby is so stubborn and won't move JJ from the closer role. JJ has cost us at least 4 wins

Your new closer is.....

Heath bell. He has been pitching very well since his first few bad outings. He used to be a dominat closer and I believe the dbacks need give him the chance as closer. I really believe this will revive his career and he will be the old Heath bell we used to hate in sandiego. Go dbacks

P.S Goldie will be considered in MVP voting this year!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope so! He has looked good after a shaky start.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thread title had me excited for a second. I didn't see the end to last nights game, I fell asleep, but how legit do you guys think that hand injury was? He comes in throws 4 straight balls then leaves.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
By the sound of it and knowing from personal experience, I think Putz will need Tommy John.

I also think Bell will be the closer in his absence.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Thread title had me excited for a second. I didn't see the end to last nights game, I fell asleep, but how legit do you guys think that hand injury was? He comes in throws 4 straight balls then leaves.

He didn't look right in that sequence. All balls high in both directions.

He's hurt.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
By the sound of it and knowing from personal experience, I think Putz will need Tommy John.

I also think Bell will be the closer in his absence.

That's exactly what I was thinking when he came off the mound.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Over / Under on Heath Bell saves going at 25?

I will take the over.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Over / Under on Heath Bell saves going at 25?

I will take the over.

If JJ really does need surgery, then I will go over as well. Don't see anyone else who fits the mold of closer. All in on Bell, as scary as that is.

OP
OP
T

TEAMPETE

Rookie
Reaction score
I guess the update on putz is that it was a shoulder injury.

Get ready for the "Heath Bell experience". You would think we could find someone on the farm as another bullpen arm. What happened to Saito??

I say more than 25 saves for Heath.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Heath Bell was a very dominant closer while at San Diego. This is a feast or famine situation IMO. He could get 25+ saves, but if he pitches like he did in Miami, our bullpen woes will persist.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just got a text saying putz is headed to the DL with an elbow strain. Not good.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Damnit, damnit, damnit. I still think that Josh Collmenter has the potential to be the best closer on our roster.

Straight overhand. Less wear and tear on his arm.
Has done his best when not starting.
Is flexible. Has shown stamina.

Does anyone else think he could be our 9th inning guy?

If not, I'd be curious to hear why not.

Thanks.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Damnit, damnit, damnit. I still think that Josh Collmenter has the potential to be the best closer on our roster.

Straight overhand. Less wear and tear on his arm.
Has done his best when not starting.
Is flexible. Has shown stamina.

Does anyone else think he could be our 9th inning guy?

If not, I'd be curious to hear why not.

Thanks.

Perhaps... though, if you take him out of his current role, who will fill his slot as our rock-solid middle inning reliever?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Perhaps... though, if you take him out of his current role, who will fill his slot as our rock-solid middle inning reliever?

This!

Collmentor is like our 6th starter in the bullpen. Any time a starter has to leave really early for injury or ineffectiveness he is capable of going as far as 4 or 5 innings.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
This!

Collmentor is like our 6th starter in the bullpen. Any time a starter has to leave really early for injury or ineffectiveness he is capable of going as far as 4 or 5 innings.
True. But isn't a closer who could work most of our save opportunities throughout the season even more valuable that a middle inning reliever, no matter how good he is?

Other than our five starters, what one pitcher is more important than the rest? Our closer. We're "leading" the league in blown saves.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The closest thing to a closer in the D-Backs farm system is Jake Barrett, and he's a long ways off in A+. He might be doing well to make it to Mobile this year. I guess he's ditched the splitter -- or greatly reduced his usage of it -- in favor of the curve, which ... well, whatever.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
True. But isn't a closer who could work most of our save opportunities throughout the season even more valuable that a middle inning reliever, no matter how good he is?

Other than our five starters, what one pitcher is more important than the rest? Our closer. We're "leading" the league in blown saves.

Honestly I think the same reason he has been better in relief than as a starter would be the same reason he wouldn't be great as a closer and that is teams figure out how to hit him when they see enough of him.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
T

TEAMPETE

Rookie
Reaction score
The new closer has looked pretty good! I just feel so more confident with bell on the hill. Every time putz was out there i felt like he was going to blow the save. Go dbacks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard