Davon Reed

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Reed is a very promising prospect.

First of all, he has great measurables. 6-6 with a 7 foot wingspan and has legit SG/SF athleticism.

Offensively, he is a good shooter. 39.7% from 3's ties him with Malik Monk. 83% FT's and gets to the rim with his long reach. His form is solid and can break down his defender off the dribble when needed to get his shot off. A good, not great finisher with limited hops. But he shows tremendous promise here as he displays athleticism near the rim.

He is a good dribbler for a wing, and a better passer than his 2.4 apg indicates. He actually plays really well in the flow of the game creating for teammates when needed or getting a shot off when needed. His in game IQ looks solid.

He is a willing defender. He uses his long arms to be a nuisance and is athletic enough to keep them in front. His feet need to be quicker. Too many times he takes unnecessary risks or has his body out of position. But a good coach will clear that up. He has the potential to be good here if he has the heart, which...

His intangibles are solid. Well liked and well respected on his team (they call him Mr. Dependable). He's a top student (3 time all ACC academic). And a natural leader. He does a lot of dirty work on the floor for his team. He's one of those guys that is a little good at a lot of things.

This is no stiff. He really could be a good player. I love this pick. Plus, because he's 22, he brings immediate age and experience to the team (I can't believe I'm saying that, but everyone else is under 21).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Nice write up, but why in your opinion were most writers leaving him undrafted on their boards? This write up makes him sound like he should have at worst been a late 1st rounder.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hope he turns out to be servicable good size sure there are issues woud have liked bell.... but we will see in time. Just still pumped suns got jackson will sleep good tonight! Been up since 5 am lol.

OP
OP
Raze

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Nice write up, but why in your opinion were most writers leaving him undrafted on their boards? This write up makes him sound like he should have at worst been a late 1st rounder.

Because he only averaged 15 ppg and looks like a role player. Which is totally true. Right now. Plus, he's a senior. Only 13 taken in this draft, all after #28. Ageism is real. At least in the NBA. My guess is that teams feel they "know" what they're gonna get in him.

But isn't that pretty much what we hope for in the 2nd round? A guy who embraces his role off the bench. Davon is a legit 3&D prospect. And that's right now. He's a great compliment to Booker coming off the bench.

However, he has the physical make up of a guy that is much better than a role player. A 7 foot wingspan on an athletic defender who can hit 3's is nothing to lift your nose up at.

This is a low risk move at #32. While I agree he was projected to go late, if at all, McD must have heard he was going before #54 and took a shot. Contrary to the naysayers about him as a GM, he's an awfully good drafter. I trust his judgement. (With drafting. NOT trading or signing players. Holy crud he scares me with those.)

I would encourage anyone to watch him play before passing judgement on him. Here's a full game of his against FSU. (He's #5).

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen him compared to Raja Bell elsewhere and it makes sense that a guy like Raja would go in the 2nd round in the current NBA. Like @Raze said, he's a role player, which is something you actually want in a 2nd round pick. There weren't any players available that could be Isaiah Thomas or Gilbert Arenas type breakout stars in the 2nd round this year, those are hard to predict and for everyone who pans out there are hundreds who don't ever make the league. I think Archie Goodwin is that sort of player, someone who is convinced he's more than a role player and won't change his change because he's convinced he can be a star. So drafting a player who already is a role player is a safe move because there is no denying the Suns needed a 3 & D player. They also need a knockdown 3 point shooter, not just an adequate shooter and Reed appears to be that.

When you're a bad team like the Suns are you need to select guys in the 2nd round who may otherwise end up undrafted free agents. 3 & D players are wanted by every team in the league. If Reed wasn't drafted at all then he'd probably have a half dozen invites to Summer League teams and almost every one of those teams would have better record than Phoenix. It's kind of like the Waiver Wire, the worst team gets first opportunity, in the 2nd round the worst teams need to have players rights to get them to stick with them rather than sign with a playoff team or contender. Wouldn't you rather be a 12th man on a team that will go to the playoffs over Phoenix?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok. It's an odd thing. McD has a guy he really likes and ranks him at #30 or so in his board. But all the media types have him ranked much later. So, does he get cute and try to draft him later and run the risk that other GM draft him or does he just trust his own board and draft accordingly?

This kid looks like he has all the tools and he fills a need. He is a second rounder. So I am ok.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My expectations on anyone drafted in the 2nd round are low. Chances on making the team are tough. However, I do like both of the players that the Suns drafted in the 2nd round.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I've seen him compared to Raja Bell elsewhere and it makes sense that a guy like Raja would go in the 2nd round in the current NBA. Like @Raze said, he's a role player, which is something you actually want in a 2nd round pick. There weren't any players available that could be Isaiah Thomas or Gilbert Arenas type breakout stars in the 2nd round this year, those are hard to predict and for everyone who pans out there are hundreds who don't ever make the league. I think Archie Goodwin is that sort of player, someone who is convinced he's more than a role player and won't change his change because he's convinced he can be a star. So drafting a player who already is a role player is a safe move because there is no denying the Suns needed a 3 & D player. They also need a knockdown 3 point shooter, not just an adequate shooter and Reed appears to be that.

When you're a bad team like the Suns are you need to select guys in the 2nd round who may otherwise end up undrafted free agents. 3 & D players are wanted by every team in the league. If Reed wasn't drafted at all then he'd probably have a half dozen invites to Summer League teams and almost every one of those teams would have better record than Phoenix. It's kind of like the Waiver Wire, the worst team gets first opportunity, in the 2nd round the worst teams need to have players rights to get them to stick with them rather than sign with a playoff team or contender. Wouldn't you rather be a 12th man on a team that will go to the playoffs over Phoenix?
Honestly as a rookie free agent? No. I want to go to:

A) the team with the least depth at my position
B) the team with the best developmental coach at my position
C) the worst team because they are bad because either the players suck, which means more opportunity for me, or their chemistry sucks which means someone might be shipped out and thus more opportunity for me.

The playoff team is likely the worst team to go to in order to build a career because they've got talent stacked in front of you and too much riding on games to give you developmental court time.

Unless you're a paul Shirley type who knows his profession won't be the nba and you're just enjoying your good fortune. Then you ride the pine on a playoff team of good guys, blog about it, and get a book deal.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ok. It's an odd thing. McD has a guy he really likes and ranks him at #30 or so in his board. But all the media types have him ranked much later. So, does he get cute and try to draft him later and run the risk that other GM draft him or does he just trust his own board and draft accordingly?

This kid looks like he has all the tools and he fills a need. He is a second rounder. So I am ok.
Exactly. Media and team board posters that "do their research" should (and do) mean nothing to professional GMs. They are paid to do this full time with full time paid scouting staff. They shouldn't listen to any of you bozos who say anyone was a reach. If I remember correctly years ago most media and posters were calling the Greek freak a reach. They didn't know what the gm did.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
My expectations on anyone drafted in the 2nd round are low. Chances on making the team are tough. However, I do like both of the players that the Suns drafted in the 2nd round.
Both of them will find a role coming off the bench and give great effort. You really need energy and solid fundamentals, and they shouldn't disappoint there.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We arguably have way too much youth on this team. Taking on more rookies is almost burdensome.

The wolves trade for Jimmy Butler was brilliant for the fact they have a similar young core of potential superstars, and just added a veteran superstar to lead them.

Thats what we need.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The question now is how valuable is our 2018 first rounder? Next year should be a big man-heavy draft, so we have to keep that in mind.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Because he only averaged 15 ppg and looks like a role player. Which is totally true. Right now. Plus, he's a senior. Only 13 taken in this draft, all after #28. Ageism is real. At least in the NBA. My guess is that teams feel they "know" what they're gonna get in him.

But isn't that pretty much what we hope for in the 2nd round? A guy who embraces his role off the bench. Davon is a legit 3&D prospect. And that's right now. He's a great compliment to Booker coming off the bench.

However, he has the physical make up of a guy that is much better than a role player. A 7 foot wingspan on an athletic defender who can hit 3's is nothing to lift your nose up at.

This is a low risk move at #32. While I agree he was projected to go late, if at all, McD must have heard he was going before #54 and took a shot. Contrary to the naysayers about him as a GM, he's an awfully good drafter. I trust his judgement. (With drafting. NOT trading or signing players. Holy crud he scares me with those.)

I would encourage anyone to watch him play before passing judgement on him. Here's a full game of his against FSU. (He's #5).

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I appreciate the write up but who has time to watch an hour long college basketball game to scout a second round draft pick?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We arguably have way too much youth on this team. Taking on more rookies is almost burdensome.

The wolves trade for Jimmy Butler was brilliant for the fact they have a similar young core of potential superstars, and just added a veteran superstar to lead them.

Thats what we need.

Trade Bled for picks and sign Chris Paul. Done.

Paul, Ulis
Booker, Reed, BK
Jackson, Warren, DJJr
Chriss, Bender
Chandler, Sauce, (maybe even resign Len cheap)

OP
OP
Raze

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I appreciate the write up but who has time to watch an hour long college basketball game to scout a second round draft pick?

One game? Yikes. I won't form an opinion on a player until I've at least seen one full game in which I exclusively watched him play.

I guess everyone needs a pass time.

Here's some key points from my notes in the first half of the FSU game that you can FF to. I put down the time of the film (not game time).

2:25 Hits 3 off of screen, in rhythm.

11:30 jabs right, drives left, penetrates and kicks out, turnover, sticks with it, steals, drives, nice dish to big man.

16:25 guarding a small quick PG on perimeter. Great D.

22:30 Fights through weak screen, defends with feet well, phantom call.

26:29 Rebounds, brings ball up, left handed dribble, finishes with agility by big man

29:23 Offense breaks down, good ball handling x-over drive to left

31:30 Good transition D

32:45 Drives left, x-over right, kick out 3

33:10 Runs fast break, passes too early. Exhibits frustration AFTER play was over, presumably from his poor pass.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I believe the Suns would have taken Bell if Jackson didn't fall. I was wanting Thornwell who went a few picks later.

Call me an idiot but Reed looks like Walter Davis. Like the pick.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose