Davon Reed

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Spurs originally drafted him, I don't believe they drafted him for the Suns either. I recall reading something about how the Suns wanted him but the Spurs ended up selecting him so the Suns had to give up a little more to get him. The Suns had the pick just 2 slots after he was selected which they traded with cash and their 2009 2nd round pick to acquire him. So perhaps the Spurs scouted him as well but decide to take the extra's from the Suns considering they got another 2nd rounder, the pick 1 selection later, and cash.

As noted the Suns were desperately trying to move up in the second round to draft a player (Dragic) and it wasn't a secret at the Suns draft headquarters. It was all over the radio listening to local coverage of the Suns draft.

Steve Kerr wanted to draft Dragic badly. Some other team wanted to draft Dragic ahead of the Suns in the 2nd round but the Suns parted ways with two second round picks to move up so the Spurs would draft him for them.

I think a scout had to put Dragic on Kerr's radar. Wish I knew who was the scout.

This is not the first time the Spurs helped the Suns in the draft. The Suns traded a first round pick to the Spurs in 2003 to draft Barbosa.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those who wanted the Suns to draft Jordon Bell instead of Reed with the #32nd pick in the 2017 NBA draft.

I know a lot of posters were disappointed when the Suns passed on Bell.

"The irony is that Bell is exactly the type of big man those teams need against Golden State," writes Tjarks. "He wouldn’t be as successful with less offensive talent around him, but a player with his skill set is inherently valuable."

The Warriors have a net rating of +14.9 when Bell has played this season, which is the fourth best mark on the team.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...f-Big-Men-In-NBA-Could-Be-Cut-In-Half-By-2020

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted Bell because I saw him as a Draymond Green type of playerZ

Too bad the Suns did not see it this way. I have to admit the Reed pick did not excite me.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
WE have no idea what the reed pick will be. Summer is all fine but we really have no idea what he is or isn’t at the nba level yet. I’m willing to take a wait and See approach.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
WE have no idea what the reed pick will be. Summer is all fine but we really have no idea what he is or isn’t at the nba level yet. I’m willing to take a wait and See approach.
Reed might be fine. I just liked Bell.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I was hoping for Bell, too. I was wanting us to go big in ths last draft. Believe it not I thought Ulis was good enough to start at PG so I was not looking at PGs at all. Markkanen, John Collins and Jordan Bell were my choices but none of them were in the right range in the mocks to make them at all likely except Bell in early 2nd rnd. The same thing happened the year we picked Len, I liked Adams and Dieng who'd have likewise been reaches at 4 (or did we pick Len #5?) (Of course, in late first -early 2nd I preferred Withey over Gobert - painful to admit all the pcks we get terribly wrong, isn't it.)
Pretty much the same story when we picked Bender and Chriss... I liked Labissiere, Sabonis and Thon Maker, not mocked in the right range for our picks - though if we hadn't traded down for Chriss, we could have reasonably picked one of them.

If Reed gets all the way healthy he might live up to the promise he showed in summer league as a defender. I like the Peters pick, too, in retrospect. At the time I think the prevailing opinion was we should have picked Bell and hoped Reed would last to #52 or whatever it was we used on Peters.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Len was taken fifth I believe.

You should work for the FO. Too many misses in the top 10.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was hoping for Bell, too. I was wanting us to go big in ths last draft. Believe it not I thought Ulis was good enough to start at PG so I was not looking at PGs at all. Markkanen, John Collins and Jordan Bell were my choices but none of them were in the right range in the mocks to make them at all likely except Bell in early 2nd rnd. The same thing happened the year we picked Len, I liked Adams and Dieng who'd have likewise been reaches at 4 (or did we pick Len #5?) (Of course, in late first -early 2nd I preferred Withey over Gobert - painful to admit all the pcks we get terribly wrong, isn't it.)
Pretty much the same story when we picked Bender and Chriss... I liked Labissiere, Sabonis and Thon Maker, not mocked in the right range for our picks - though if we hadn't traded down for Chriss, we could have reasonably picked one of them.

If Reed gets all the way healthy he might live up to the promise he showed in summer league as a defender. I like the Peters pick, too, in retrospect. At the time I think the prevailing opinion was we should have picked Bell and hoped Reed would last to #52 or whatever it was we used on Peters.
I liked Sabonis, but not that early. I was mocked by people who said he did not have legit nba athleticism. But when I watched him play I saw a strong physical pf with good speed.

Seems to me the reason for blowing the scouting report on players lately is overrating athleticism and underrating skills.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There is a lesson to be learned for the Suns. Perhaps draft big over small given equal talent.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Seems to me the reason for blowing the scouting report on players lately is overrating athleticism and underrating skills.

I agree completely, and I would say that the bias toward athleticism is getting worse. All these teams think that they can get a raw athlete and teach him how to play basketball in a few years. The game is a lot more complicated than that.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I'd also add that "the lack of athleticism" definition keeps expanding. It seems that if someone can't jump like a young Amare or Marion, they are branded as "lacking athleticism." Hell, those were big knocks on Booker and Warren, if I remember correctly. They are not explosive, BUT they both seem plenty athletic.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Another interesting thing is "potential." I think we discussed that here regarding Bender/ Chriss and Randle, I think. Looking at 2016 draft, Sabonis was drafter later than Bender and Chriss, and it outperforming both. He is scoring 12.4 points per game, grabbing 8.3 rebounds, dishing out 2 assists, and shooting 53% from the field in 25 minutes per game.

Meanwhile, Bender and Chriss are combining for 13 points, 8.4 rebounds, and three assists in 43.4 minutes per game, while shooting atrocious percentage from the field- 37% and 42%. I am not even going to mention defense. Granted, Sabonis is a bit older, but he is hell of a lot better than Chriss and Bender combined. I am really starting to go to the side of "who is good right now" over the side of focusing on "potential." Worst of all, the Suns could have probably drafted him while keeping their number 4 pick and Bogdanovic. They would have needed to move up just two spots. I understand that when you are short on talent, sometimes you have to swing for the fences, but man, would I love to have Sabonis and Bogdanovic right now instead of Chriss, Bender, and probably both of them combined.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It seems players who stay in college beyond their freshman season are often labeled as lacking athleticism, which is true in some cases but it's not an issue of them not being able to play basketball. Players like Reed and Peters had solid college careers, playing all 4 years they attended. Either someone can or can't play. Athleticism can't be taught but when we're talking about 19-20 year old kids it's hard to teach them how to play basketball, especially at the top level in the world.

I can see the athleticism argument for a lottery pick when all else is equal but when it comes to late 1st round picks or 2nd rounders that shouldn't be an issue. If they can play, take them. I'd rather have someone with a high BB-IQ like Booker and average athleticism than someone who is a freakishly gifted athlete but doesn't know where to be on the court, offensive or defensively like Chriss, for example. Granted Chriss is coming around but he's a player who was lauded for his athletic ability without having much basketball skill when he came into the league. Players like that take years to develop and typically the team that drafts them don't see a return on their investment because they don't pan out until years later and after a change of scenery or two. Look at Noah Vonleh for another example. He was a gifted athlete coming into the league and hasn't found a spot in the league yet, he's on his 2nd team and it's unlikely he'll get a good sized offer to play anywhere next season when his rookie contract ends.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn’t there an injury concern with Bell?

And maybe they didn’t think talent was equal.

Jordon Bell had surgery on a broken right foot when he was with Oregon. Now he reportedly has a sprained left ankle.

Davon Reed had surgery on his left knee in college and surgery on the same knee with the Suns.

Maybe draft big over small given equal talent and surgical concerns.

I do know one thing, removing cartilage from a knee is not a good thing.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I think all this is pointing at is that drafting is a crapshoot. If the Suns drafted purely on what are they good at right now, I'm not sure Booker would be selected where he was. Drafting for potential is inherently more risky; for every Garnett or Kobe there's a few Jonathan Benders or Kwame Browns.

I'm more interested in how deep the Suns go into psychological profiling when drafting. I'd select the guy with a desire to improve and win over a slightly more skilled or more athletic player.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Ouchie-Z-Clown

The Suns obviously had Reed rated higher than Bell but I don't recall any mocks having him rated anywhere near that high. Supposedly another team wanted Reed early in the second round.

As @Suns_fan69 points out, the draft is a crap-shoot for the most part.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Another interesting thing is "potential." I think we discussed that here regarding Bender/ Chriss and Randle, I think. Looking at 2016 draft, Sabonis was drafter later than Bender and Chriss, and it outperforming both. He is scoring 12.4 points per game, grabbing 8.3 rebounds, dishing out 2 assists, and shooting 53% from the field in 25 minutes per game.

Meanwhile, Bender and Chriss are combining for 13 points, 8.4 rebounds, and three assists in 43.4 minutes per game, while shooting atrocious percentage from the field- 37% and 42%. I am not even going to mention defense. Granted, Sabonis is a bit older, but he is hell of a lot better than Chriss and Bender combined. I am really starting to go to the side of "who is good right now" over the side of focusing on "potential." Worst of all, the Suns could have probably drafted him while keeping their number 4 pick and Bogdanovic. They would have needed to move up just two spots. I understand that when you are short on talent, sometimes you have to swing for the fences, but man, would I love to have Sabonis and Bogdanovic right now instead of Chriss, Bender, and probably both of them combined.

We overdrafted in a weak draft. Not the end of the world but glad you are starting to see the light.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson