Davon Reed

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
His initials DR. We should call him Doc.
Julius' initials were JE. There is only one "doctor". Calling him that would put a lot of pressure on a rookie.

Being raised in New Jersey, my dad and I used to make the loooong trip out to Nassau County on Long Island to see The Doctor play in the ABA.

It was disappointing when the Nets could afford to move to NJ to join the NBA only by selling Julius. The fact that Dr. J and I have the same birthday has nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Julius' initials were JE. There is only one "doctor". Calling him that would put a lot of pressure on a rookie.

Being raised in New Jersey, my dad and I used to make the loooong trip out to Nassau County on Long Island to see The Doctor play in the ABA.

It was disappointing when the Nets could afford to move to NJ to join the NBA only by selling Julius. The fact that Dr. J and I have the same birthday has nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:
I was going to say there's o my only one doc, but then remembered doc rivers. But dr j is truly the only doc for me.

OP
OP
Raze

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Reed showed tonight why the Suns lunged at taking him at #32. If you just viewed him strictly as a 3 and D guy then you would be happy with his performance. He locked down his players all night and when one finally did score on him (Fox) he had his hand up in his face making it a tough shot. He had a smooth stroke from 3 and hit some big shots.

But he isn't just a 3 and D guy.

He didn't just make good passes he kept making the RIGHT passes. He looked for open teammates and took shots when he was open. He's a heady player.

There were a couple of times the asked him to bring the ball up. He wasn't super confident with Frank Mason on him, but you could see what they want him to be. Kinda like Ron Harper in Chicago. He has pretty good ball handling skills. He also showed he can attack the basket with some good finishing moves.

He's already earned the respect of his teammates. Booker went out of his way to talk about him tonight. And that's his back up at 2. It speaks volumes that this guy has already earned a reputation and has the team's future gushing about him.

He also played a lot of good minutes tonight. I don't have the final stats but he sure looked like he played more minutes than DJJ. But it doesn't matter. He gave his team top quality minutes tonight. I'm guessing the coaches will be talking more about him as the days pass. He should be starting at 2.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere a comment (probably from McDonough) that the Magic were going to draft Reed at #33 if he was there. The Suns took him at #32 so this was not a reach.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It looks like Reed is always exactly what he is. He will give you exactly the same thing night in and night out no matter what level.

14-17 points, 40-50% shooting including threes, very good versatile defense.

Rock-like consistency. Very valuable.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
It looks like Reed is always exactly what he is. He will give you exactly the same thing night in and night out no matter what level.

14-17 points, 40-50% shooting including threes, very good versatile defense.

Rock-like consistency. Very valuable.

That's what I am hoping for. Sure, the team needs stars, but it also needs solid role-players. Good defender who doesn't do stupid stuff, and gives you some consistent scoring in an efficient manner is critical to any team. I know it's one game, but he looks the part. I hope the other kid (Peters) is as good as advertised too. How cool would it be to get one of two solid rotation players in the second round?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
For what it's worth, the reigning Rookie of the Year was a second-round pick.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's what I am hoping for. Sure, the team needs stars, but it also needs solid role-players. Good defender who doesn't do stupid stuff, and gives you some consistent scoring in an efficient manner is critical to any team. I know it's one game, but he looks the part. I hope the other kid (Peters) is as good as advertised too. How cool would it be to get one of two solid rotation players in the second round?

Raja Bell, Dan Majerle, James Jones, Rickey Sobers, Jeff Hornacek, Danny Ainge, Dennis Johnson, even PJ Tucker. These were all that type of player.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If the Suns find 3 solid NBA players in the draft two years in a row, I will take it. Hopefully 2-3 become stars. I do think it's possible.

OP
OP
Raze

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
4 games in and Davon is +18. By comparison Bender is +16, Jackson is -4 and, Chriss is -3.

He's played some great D this summer. I could be wrong, but I don't think any Utah player scored on him in the first half. Even if they did his D FG% must have been studly.

Although he's shooting 29% from 3's, most of the damage came from the 0-7 Dallas game. In the other 3 games he went 40%, 40%, and 50%. The other thing I absolutely love about him is he isn't the typical 3 & D shooter. Most of those guys are catch and shoot. Davon has a good jab step off the dribble that he pulls back in rhythm and hits.

I'm still impressed with his overall game. Everyone's going to watch the highlight of Josh's block followed by Chriss's dunk, but it was Davon who received the outlet, drove up the court and gave a great pass to Chriss. This guy continues to show a high game IQ with D, dribbling, passing, and shooting.

Right after Chriss got his Tech against Utah today, Davon was the first to grab him and talk into his ear. Even though Reed is the rookie and Chriss isn't, you can tell that Davon's slid into the sage role for these young guys.

I know this sounds trivial, but he needs work on his spring. His vertical is still lacking. He is extremely smooth around the basket (unlike DJJ). If he had a few more inches to his vertical he could be Oh So Dangerous around the rim. I wonder if he's done any plyometrics.

He still looks like a steal as a 3 & D player off the bench.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Reed reminds me of a much more well rounded Raja Bell. He can nail down shots from outside and lock down his guy defensively. I say he's more of a well rounded player though because he has better passing and ball handling abilities than Bell did. Anyone who can be a rotation player that's selected in the 2nd round is a good pick, IMO, expecting more than that is unrealistic. I think it goes both ways though, a lot of college players taken in the 2nd round were used to being the man on their college team and have trouble adjusting to being a role player in the NBA. It seems like Reed is ok with being a role player, he was called that in college and that's what he'll be now in the NBA and it's good that he's accepted that so hopefully he can contribute here rather than being one of those 2nd round picks that takes a few years of bouncing around the league before they get it and start contributing doing the little things for a team.

Reed seems to know his role as a 3 & D guy and be ok with it, so hopefully things work out. Not just that things work out for him but him and the Suns and he sticks around for a while and contributes. It'll be interesting to see what sort of role he plays during the regular season. He has played against some quality guards in the Summer League though so it's not like he's playing against guys who won't make their team's rosters.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Reed turning into a more well-rounded version of Bell would be a steal at 32.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So much scrutiny over a guy who has a 1% chance of making the squad.

theres more talk about Reed than there is about Jackson.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Yeah, I would say there is a 1% chance he does NOT make the team.

On a side note, I am kind of excited to see the second unit of Ulis, Reed, Warren (or Jackson, depending on who gets the starting job), Bender, and Williams. There is an awful lot of scoring, passing, and defense in that group.

OP
OP
Raze

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
So much scrutiny over a guy who has a 1% chance of making the squad.

theres more talk about Reed than there is about Jackson.

Jackson is the best prospect in this draft. So it's no surprise he's so good.

Reed is a shock to most people, because he really wasn't on many mock draft boards.

I'd put his chance of making the squad at 99.99%. McD, the HC, and Booker absolutely love him. We're all starting to see why.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Jackson is the best prospect in this draft. So it's no surprise he's so good.

Thats faaaaar from a given. There are few to no sure things in NBA drafts. Id be watching Jackson extremely closely.

Thus far he looks good. But to say hes a surefire star already is premature.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson