Davon Reed

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"Jackson is the best prospect in this draft. So it's no surprise he's so good."

Saying he's one of, if not the best, PROSPECT in the draft doesn't mean that he'll be a star in the NBA. Of course that is the hope but that's never a sure thing and there is a difference in calling someone a top prospect and a future star.

Look back at the 2013 draft, it was said Len was one of the top prospects that draft but he's not a star and never will be. No one taken in the lottery from that draft could be called a star but those were the players considered top prospects that year.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Good stuff. Good luck Reed. We need more shooters. Hope you earn a lot of playing time. Trio of Booker, Daniels and Reed should give us more punch, especially late in games.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just heard on ABC 15 that Davon Reed has been recalled by the Suns and will be available for the Thunder game tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing what he can do. The only downside is how Jackson has been getting sporadic playing time lately, not sure if he's in the doghouse or not but with another wing available he might have more time taken from him. Hopefully Reed just takes House's playing time though.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just heard on ABC 15 that Davon Reed has been recalled by the Suns and will be available for the Thunder game tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing what he can do. The only downside is how Jackson has been getting sporadic playing time lately, not sure if he's in the doghouse or not but with another wing available he might have more time taken from him. Hopefully Reed just takes House's playing time though.

The news just popped up on azcentral as well in an informative article by Scott Bordow.

“I felt pretty good,” Reed said. “My main purpose was to go out and not necessarily worry about how I’m playing, but go out and try to just feel good body-wise. I must say I was impressed. It was a huge confidence builder. I wasn’t thinking about my leg at all. That was big for me.”

Still, Reed admitted he doesn’t have the explosiveness he did before the surgery. He’s not sure, however, whether that’s a physical issue or just his mind telling his body he’s not quite there yet.

“I’m trying to decide if it’s a confidence thing,” he said. “As much as you tell yourself to let go, there are certain things you just favor or certain things you think about (subconsciously).”

Part of that hesitation may be related to Reed’s history. This is the second time he’s had torn cartilage in his left knee; the first was his sophomore season at Miami.

“I feel like that’s why I want to take my time right now and make sure it’s done right and I’m ready to go,” Reed said. “I obviously don’t want a relapse. I don’t feel like that will be the case.”

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...ld-make-phoenix-suns-debut-sunday/1010556001/

OP
OP
Raze

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
It'd be interesting to see if Triano runs him next to Booker in the backcourt with no traditional PG. Davon is a great compliment to Book in that he can defend and is a willing passer. Book has been running the O many times anyway so I don't see why it would matter to run Davon at "SG" while Book runs "PG".

If so that wouldn't alter Jackson's minutes as much as Troy, Tyler, or Isaiah.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing him out there. Really impressed by his play in summer league. Have to keep an eye on the quality of shots we get with him and Booker in the backcourt. We gain defense and outside shooting but perhaps we lose a bit of breaking down defense with drive and dish. Depends on the line up and how well Booker handles the extra work versus coming off screens with the ball. I think we do a lot of high screens so in those cases outside shooting is a definite plus.

Fingers crossed, Davon!

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I would be curious to see a lineup that includes Booker, Daniels, Reed and Chriss. That is 4 players with 3 point range and it might really open the floor up for Booker.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm glad that he has the chance to play a full half season. I thought that the initial prognosis was more pessimistic. The Suns really could use a disciplined floor spacer who isn't a liability on defense. Reed has a chance to be that guy.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been awhile since the Suns have nailed a top second round draft pick. I'd like to know the scout who nailed the Dragic pick.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's been awhile since the Suns have nailed a top second round draft pick. I'd like to know the scout who nailed the Dragic pick.

The Spurs originally drafted him, I don't believe they drafted him for the Suns either. I recall reading something about how the Suns wanted him but the Spurs ended up selecting him so the Suns had to give up a little more to get him. The Suns had the pick just 2 slots after he was selected which they traded with cash and their 2009 2nd round pick to acquire him. So perhaps the Spurs scouted him as well but decide to take the extra's from the Suns considering they got another 2nd rounder, the pick 1 selection later, and cash.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I could of sworn I heard something about the Spurs almost screwing up their plans but they were willing to part with him. Seems odd they'd have the Spurs take 2 spots ahead of their own pick, and give up more cash and an additional 2nd rounder to get him, unless they knew the Sonics/Thunder wanted him and were going to take him before they could pick him themselves.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I could of sworn I heard something about the Spurs almost screwing up their plans but they were willing to part with him. Seems odd they'd have the Spurs take 2 spots ahead of their own pick, and give up more cash and an additional 2nd rounder to get him, unless they knew the Sonics/Thunder wanted him and were going to take him before they could pick him themselves.
I believe it was something like that. They were convinced the next team after the Spurs would take him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave