Dave Pasch Gives His Draft Take

Jim O

Reaction score
http://www.azcardinals.com/fanzone/columndetails.php?cid=133

Side Note: You can meet Dave Pasch at the draft party at Jackson's on 3rd beginning this Saturday at 8:30am.

Pasch's Draft Predictions
by: Dave Pasch

Every pick of the NFL Draft is an undeniable risk, but that claim is accentuated this year. Most of the top 10-15 prospects in this weekend's draft have question marks. Kansas State cornerback Terence Newman is considered by some as the most dynamic player in the draft, but he has a bad shoulder which could prevent him from being drafted in the top six. Marshall quarterback Byron Leftwich has a bazooka for an arm, and is a leader and winner. Leftwich also has injury problems, and may fall out of the top 10. There are one-year wonders like USC quarterback Carson Palmer, who will be picked #1 overall by the Cincinnati Bengals despite the fact he underachieved severely for most of his college career. The best running back in this draft is Miami's Willis McGahee, but he probably won't play this year as he recovers from a knee injury. Still, McGahee is expected to go in the first round. There are workout wonders like Cal quarterback Kyle Boller, Oklahoma State defensive lineman Kevin Williams, and USC running back Justin Fargas. Plus, workout duds like Arizona State defensive end Terrell Suggs.

The Cardinals (as I write this article) have eight picks in the draft. Improving the pass rush and the wide receiver corps are the top priorities. For what it's worth, here's my take on what should happen in the 2003 draft, assuming Arizona does not trade out of the sixth spot.

1st Round (#6)--I saw Dwight Freeney dominate for an entire season at Syracuse. He had 17 sacks. Terrell Suggs had 24 this year for Arizona State and looked even more dominant (if that's possible) than Freeney did a year ago. Suggs has quick feet, great timing, a mean streak, and a good motor. However, Suggs failed to impress during his pre-draft workouts, running slower than expected 40 times. Suggs is also a little light. He's listed at 262 lbs, but an ideal playing weight based on his slow 40 times might be closer to 250. Suggs didn't show great strength during his workouts either. If you draft a player at #6, the goal is to find a guy who can play every down. Suggs may have trouble shedding blockers and stopping the run. Still, Suggs is a pure pass rusher and Freeney proved you don't have to be 275 pounds to have success at defensive end in the NFL. Miami Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor is one of the best pass rushers in the league, and he weighs about 245 pounds.

Many of the draft prognosticators think Suggs will fall to the Cardinals, but if he isn't available, Terence Newman could be. He would give the Cardinals a shutdown corner, plus a dangerous punt returner. The Cards, like many other teams, have major concern' about Newman's shoulder. Washington State cornerback Marcus Trufant might be a safer pick, but some consider him a stretch at #6.

The Cardinals are also expected to draft at least two wide receivers. Miami's Andre Johnson is expected to be gone by the time Arizona selects, but if Johnson is there, the Cardinals would probably take him. The Cardinals may talk with teams about trading down until their clock runs out. They might be able to get their pass rusher later in the first round. Miami defensive end Jerome McDougle and Penn State defensive end Michael Haynes would be good candidates. The Cardinals will also look at defensive tackles, and there are plenty in this draft. A trade down might allow them to take Miami defensive tackle William Joseph, who I think could be the best of the group.

2nd Round (#37)--A wide receiver or a defensive lineman would be a good choice here. If the Cardinals draft Terrell Suggs at #6, they would probably look at receiver here. Florida's Taylor Jacobs, Tennessee's Kelly Washington, and Penn State's Bryant Johnson are considered late first/early second round prospects. Jacobs probably won't be available, but Washington and/or Johnson might. Washington has attitude and injury concerns, but he's an incredible athlete. He's a risk to take middle to late first round, but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes that early. Johnson is a big receiver and can return kicks. There is a big drop off in receivers after that, but Middle Tennessee State's Tyrone Calico and Texas A & M's Bethel Johnson are probably the next best. Calico is a big target. Johnson is a sprinter, but has had numerous abdominal injuries.

If the Cardinals don't draft a defensive lineman in the first round, some of the defensive linemen that could be available at #37 include Wake Forest defensive end Calvin Pace, Colorado defensive end Tyler Brayton (considered overrated by some), Louisville defensive end DeWayne White, Penn State defensive tackle Anthony Adams (some feel is overrated because played next to Jimmy Kennedy), Washington State defensive tackle Rien Long (had 13 sacks last season), and Clemson defensive tackle Nick Eason.

If the Cardinals don't like their options at defensive line or wide receiver at #37, they may take a cornerback. Potential cornerbacks available include Sammy Davis (Texas A&M), Nnamdi Asomugha (Cal), and Andre Woolfolk (Oklahoma).

3rd Round (#70)--Again, defensive lineman, cornerback or wide receiver. Miami defensive end Andrew Williams played in the shadows of McDougle and Joseph, and is a possibility. Boston College defensive tackle Antonio Garay would also probably be available, but has injury questions.

Florida State wide receiver Anquan Boldin (stock fell since end of college season), Arizona State wide receiver Shaun McDonald (small and struggled returning kicks), Utah State wide reciever Kevin Curtis, Nevada's Nate Burleson, Missouri's Justin Gage (considered underrated) could be available.

Cornerbacks that might be around at #70 include Drayton Florence (Tuskegee), Charles Tillman (Louisiana-Lafayette), Bryan Scott (Penn St.), and Mike Lehan (Minnesota).

The 4th through 7th round selections depend on what areas the Cardinals have already addressed, and what players have slipped to those positions. The Cardinals draft #102 (4th round), #141 (5th round), #177 and #210 (both 6th round), and #220 (7th round). Of the eight picks the Cardinals currently own, they would like at least two defensive linemen, at least two wide receivers, one or two defensive backs, an offensive lineman, and perhaps a quarterback. The focus of the first day of the draft will be on the defensive line and wide receivers. They could pick up a cornerback, offensive linemen, and a quarterback on day two. The Cards may also look at an inside linebacker in the middle rounds. Players at that position that could be available include Chaun Thompson (West Texas A & M), Clifton Smith (Syracuse), and Mario Haggan (Mississippi State).

My Top 10 predictions:

1. Cincinnati-Carson Palmer, QB USC
2. Detroit-Charles Rogers, WR Michigan State
3. Houston-Andre Johnson, WR Miami
4. Chicago-Dewayne Robertson, DT Kentucky
5. Dallas-I think Cowboys trade this pick. Whoever (maybe New Orleans) gets #5, picks Terence Newman, CB Kansas State
6. Cardinals-Terrell Suggs, WR Arizona State
7. Minnesota-Jimmy Kennedy, DT Penn State
8. Jacksonville-Jordan Gross, OT Utah
9. Carolina-Marcus Trufant, CB Washington State
10. Baltimore-Byron Leftwich, QB Marshall

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope you're right Dave. I think Suggs is the most important player in the draft for the Cards right now and I hope if he's available at that spot that they pick him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn