Darren Collison

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Wonder why there is no thread..

18/8/4/1.5 as a starter. Had he started all year he'd probably lead the ROY race.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Along with Stephen Curry the best young PG in the league right now if he does it for the rest of the season, btw.

Yes better than Derrick Rose.

Last edited:

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:bigyawn: :bigyawn:When Collison scores 30 points in a game, in February.....then i might wake up and compare him to Rose. Rose has done it twice.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Well since when is being a PG about scoring? Despite that Collison still scored at least 22 in 7 of 12 in february.

Wake me when Rose is averaging 7apg for a month. He is going to be the next Marbury except Marbury in his worst seasons as a starter still managed to get at least 7.6apg and usually was averaging between 8-9.

Rose has trouble getting 6, his shot also isn't as good as Marbury was and Marbury had the same kind of physique and athletic ability in his first years. He had only 2 double digist assists game all season.

Collison had 18 or so in his first game as a starter.

Last edited:

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have to admit I haven't seen a lot of Collison but his stat lines have been real impressive. I'd take his #s as a starter over Rose. Rose is an athletic freak but unless his game evolves I think he will struggle once he loses a step.

From what I've seen I think Curry will be the best of all this years rookies. If he develops Nash's circus shot ability to finish in the paint he'll be dominate.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
1. Curry, needs to improve defense, could be the next Nash.
2. Westbrook, needs to improve jumpshot, could be the next Kidd in terms of triple threat possibility.
3. Jennings, needs to develop a jumpshot of any sort. It is horrid, he is pretty good though already in all other areas. Could be the next Kevin Johnson.
4. Collison, needs to improve defense and jumpshot. Could be the next Chris Paul/ Kevin Johnson.
5. Evans, is overall a better player than the others but not really a PG. Could be the next Dwayne Wade.
6. Rose, needs to improve jumper and develop PG skills or he is just the next Francis.

Those are my top young "POINT GUARDS" in order in which I would take them on a new team if I needed a PG.

I'd project John Wall to take over the #1 spot next year and Rubio to be in there anywhere from #2-5 when he comes over.

2009 draft was insane at the PG position or overall guard positions.

What a draft New Orleans had with Darren Collison and Marcus Thornton.

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
On Sportcenter last night they were drooling over a little pivot move Curry made under the basket to fake out some PF. Dragic made the exact same move a couple of games ago and nobody says squat.

The exact same move. As a matter of fact I bet Curry saw Dragic do it then copied him.

Now that I think about it I remember Dragic actually faking 2 guys out of their jocks.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
:bigyawn: :bigyawn:When Collison scores 30 points in a game, in February.....then i might wake up and compare him to Rose. Rose has done it twice.
Also look what Rose did in the playoffs, last year. He was pretty darn good, if I remember correctly. And it was against a pretty strong defensive Boston team.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
On Sportcenter last night they were drooling over a little pivot move Curry made under the basket to fake out some PF. Dragic made the exact same move a couple of games ago and nobody says squat.

The exact same move. As a matter of fact I bet Curry saw Dragic do it then copied him.

Now that I think about it I remember Dragic actually faking 2 guys out of their jocks.

Dragic has done that quiet a few times actually.

Curry also travelled on the move, well the reason people are drooling over it anyway is that Curry is showing to be a spectacular player and actually a true PG.

He is averaging something like 21/8.5/7.3/1.7 49%FG 94%FT since the allstar game, only his 3pt shooting has been cold in the stretch at 25%.

The numbers are even more impressive considering that he has to share the ball a lot with Monta Ellis.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also look what Rose did in the playoffs, last year. He was pretty darn good, if I remember correctly. And it was against a pretty strong defensive Boston team.
Against Rondo. Rose turned into the hulk in that series.:hulk:

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry for quoting you twice, but
You say pretty darn good, this guy says historical

Rose probably brought back memories (or nightmares) of Michael Jordan scoring 63 points at the old Garden back in 1986. After all, the teams have only met in the postseason once since that series, and not at all since 1987. And that's how electric Rose's performance was.
Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/steve_aschburner/04/18/day1.analysis/index.html#ixzz0gmEG3zUm

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Still snoring.
Sorry I'm a big Memphis fan....and I know how good Rose and Tyreke Evans were/are to be.
I posted somewhere in the draft thread (last year) that Tryeke Evans he would struggle as point guard and flourish as a shooting guard, and woolah! Turnovers were a very big concern for Evans at Memphis.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
14 points 19 assists 5 minutes to go in the 4th quarter.

Please stay on the Derrick Rose bandwagon as he is the most overrated player in the league.

Darren Collison is a true PG and a stud. Jesus i can't believe he is this good. I really wanted him to enter the draft in 2008 so we could draft him, but after this year I had no expectations for him.

He has no glarring weakness really, if you want to moan about something turnovers is the biggest issue but he is just pretty solid at everything already.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Not counting tonights performance btw

Post-Allstar Game

Curry 22ppg 7.7apg 6rpg 1.6spg
Westbrook 20ppg 9.6apg 6rpg 2.2spg
Collison 22ppg 9apg 3.4rpg 2.0spg

Rose 25ppg 5.4apg 3.6rpg 0.9spg

That's why Rose is incredibly overrated. Give me any of these 3 over Rose. The only special skill Rose has is slashing, that doesn't make a PG great. He is just another combo guard. He is also the worst defender of the bunch probably.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love DC(UCLA of course) but his defense has not been good. He's having trouble with thepick and roll he's not strong enough to get off the screen and gets caught on it too easily. Offensively he's very good, too many turnovers but he's shooting it well and involving teammates.

I watched the whole Warrior game tonight, he didn'thave 20 assists the announcers guessed more like 13 which I would agree. The official scorer gave him assists on plays where the guy dribbled 3-4 times after the pass. Did a great job on Curry. I think Curry is the best rookie and Collison is making a run for it himself.

Evans is a ballhog, he's very good but the reason Martin was traded is he told the Kings he was tired of watching Evans dribble so much. It was in the Sac bee weeks before the trade, he told them to trade him because he didn't think him and Evans worked well together and he knew Evans was the future of the franchise.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not counting tonights performance btw

Post-Allstar Game

Curry 22ppg 7.7apg 6rpg 1.6spg
Westbrook 20ppg 9.6apg 6rpg 2.2spg
Collison 22ppg 9apg 3.4rpg 2.0spg

Rose 25ppg 5.4apg 3.6rpg 0.9spg

That's why Rose is incredibly overrated. Give me any of these 3 over Rose. The only special skill Rose has is slashing, that doesn't make a PG great. He is just another combo guard. He is also the worst defender of the bunch probably.

I am glad you base everything on the box score. :doi:

Seriously man, you need to watch the games before you start calling Rose overrated. He has not low post player to feed the ball to. The only other threat to score on the Bulls is Deng and half the time he misses wide open jumpers Rose feeds him. Rose has carried to team over the last two months.

By the way, it you look at just the box scores, look at Nash's first several years.

96-97 PHO Assists 2.1 Points 3.3
97-98 PHO Assists 3.4 Points 9.1
98-99 DAL Assists 5.5 Points 7.9
99-00 DAL Assists 4.9 Points 8.6
00-01 DAL Assists 7.3 Points 15.6
01-02 DAL Assists 7.7 Points 17.9
02-03 DAL Assists 7.3 Points 17.7
03-04 DAL Assists 8.8 Points 14.5

I guess Nash is highly overrated and only puts up good numbers because of the system since according to you, numbers are the only factor.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Please list the minutes if you want to make an argument..

96-97 10mpg
97-98 22mpg
98-99 31mpg
99-00 27mpg
etc

Rose is simply not a very good passer/playmaker. He gets his assists almost exclusively off of penetration. He'll be the next Francis/Marbury type PG.

Goran Dragic had as many 10 assists games as Rose...

And please don't give me that crap about Rose's lack of teammates. That isn't the reason why he doesn't even get 6 apg. Stephen Curry plays with a bunch of d-leaguers and a ballhog yet he averages about 8 since new years.
Brandon Jennings plays with less offensive players, yet averages more assists in less minutes.
Who does Darren Collison have outside of David West?

Who did Marbury have in New Jersey when he averaged more points and more assists?

Maybe Rose just doesn't have "it" to make his teammates better, to find them open and allow them to score? I hear all the time Derrick Rose always gets double-teamed as an excuse. Although I haven't seen it, certainly not against the Suns, shouldn't he average MORE assists when they double team him?

Last edited:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please list the minutes if you want to make an argument..

96-97 10mpg
97-98 22mpg
98-99 31mpg
99-00 27mpg
etc

Rose is simply not a very good passer/playmaker. He gets his assists almost exclusively off of penetration. He'll be the next Francis/Marbury type PG.

Goran Dragic had as many 10 assists games as Rose...

And please don't give me that crap about Rose's lack of teammates. That isn't the reason why he doesn't even get 6 apg. Stephen Curry plays with a bunch of d-leaguers and a ballhog yet he averages about 8 since new years.
Brandon Jennings plays with less offensive players, yet averages more assists in less minutes.
Who does Darren Collison have outside of David West?

Who did Marbury have in New Jersey when he averaged more points and more assists?

Maybe Rose just doesn't have "it" to make his teammates better, to find them open and allow them to score? I hear all the time Derrick Rose always gets double-teamed as an excuse. Although I haven't seen it, certainly not against the Suns, shouldn't he average MORE assists when they double team him?

:biglaugh:

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Typical slin slin argument. Exaggerates everything to tip the scales and is pretty much irrational about any other opinion.

Youre right collison is good but to say rose is overrated is asinine.

BTW rose has a box score you should take a peek at tonight.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Typical slin slin argument. Exaggerates everything to tip the scales and is pretty much irrational about any other opinion.

Youre right collison is good but to say rose is overrated is asinine.

BTW rose has a box score you should take a peek at tonight.

25 and 13 but -22?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
25 and 13 but -22?

Yup, but they won 9 out of 13 and he averaged over 25 points and only 5.5 assists a few weeks back. He carries the team they win, he finds his teammates they don't win. Funny how that happens when you have a weak supporting cast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard