OP
AzWins23

AzWins23

Reaction score
Surgery on thumb may sideline Dansby for opening of camp

Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 19, 2006 12:00 AM

Cardinals outside linebacker Karlos Dansby might miss the start of training camp after undergoing surgery on a thumb about three weeks ago.

Dansby's agent, Kirk Wood, said Dansby underwent a minor procedure on his left thumb and shouldn't miss much practice time, if any, when camp opens July 31 in Flagstaff.

"He's going to have the bandage taken off (today), and we'll know more," Wood said. advertisement

Club officials didn't announce the surgery and weren't available for comment Tuesday.

Dansby's surgery was first mentioned in a column Tuesday by Cardinals coach Dennis Green's son, Jeremy, who writes for ESPN.com. Jeremy Green is a former NFL scout and personnel executive.

Dansby, the starter on the strong side, is an integral part of the team's defense, and he plays a position at which the Cardinals lack depth. Dansby's backup is Calvin Pace, who moved to linebacker from defensive end this spring.

No worries
The Cardinals have signed four of their seven draft picks, and two more could follow soon.

Quarterback Matt Leinart, the 10th overall selection, is unsigned, but he's not alone. The only first-rounder under contract is the Texans' Mario Williams, the No. 1 pick. Negotiations for first-round picks normally begin in earnest in mid-July.

Tight end Leonard Pope, the third-round selection, and defensive tackle Gabe Watson, the fourth-rounder, are also unsigned. But the players taken just ahead of them have signed, which should be helpful in reaching agreements.

Eagles defensive end/linebacker Chris Gocong, taken one spot ahead of Pope, has agreed to a four-year deal reportedly worth $2.38 million, including a $774,000 signing bonus.

New England fullback Garrett Mills, taken just in front of Watson, signed a four-year deal reportedly worth about $2.1 million, including a $462,500 signing bonus.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So with Dansby's thumb injury a new concern, does the team bring any new faces into camp?

They've got a project in Pace already, will the team consider picking up a veteran LB off the waver wire?

Do you think that the team has got enough talent/depth at the OLB position to justify standing pat?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
It's a thumb injury, not the knee or foot. I'm not worried about it, the defense is largely the same as it was last year so chemistry won't be an issue.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Oh no, it's starting again....it's not anything serious so that's good but with the Cardinals past I hate to hear about injuries.

Codeofhammurabi

Cards Fan Since 1971
Reaction score
I would be more concerned with a thumb injury to a Wide Reciever, QB, C or RB. It sounds like Dansby will be fine anyway.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
If guys can play with casts on their hands and arms, I'm not worried about Dansby's thumb.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cardinals outside linebacker Karlos Dansby might miss the start of training camp after undergoing surgery on a thumb about three weeks ago.

Dansby's agent, Kirk Wood, said Dansby underwent a minor procedure on his left thumb and shouldn't miss much practice time, if any, when camp opens July 31 in Flagstaff.]
I know you can get technical with semantics, but doesn't the second statement kind of contradict the first?

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Nasser22 said:
Oh no, it's starting again....it's not anything serious so that's good but with the Cardinals past I hate to hear about injuries.

Injuries are a part of the game. You'll hear about plenty more this year. Sorry I couldn't be of more comfort.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
It's a thumb injury, not the knee or foot. I'm not worried about it, the defense is largely the same as it was last year so chemistry won't be an issue.

I agree...Just tape it up and go.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
RedStorm said:

period. if a guy can't go with a bad thumb then i give up...last i looked, karlos was not a concert pianist.

Reaction score
RedStorm said:
Depending upon the injury/surgery, it might make sense to miss a few reps the first weeks of camp and perhaps preseason games, let it heal, and then be good to go come the games that count. Better than an injury which continues to nag and impact effectiveness/performance all season long...

:JMTCW: :)

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
CardLogic said:
Depending upon the injury/surgery, it might make sense to miss a few reps the first weeks of camp and perhaps preseason games, let it heal, and then be good to go come the games that count. Better than an injury which continues to nag and impact effectiveness/performance all season long...

:JMTCW: :)

Missing some of camp is no big deal for a vet like Dansby. I'm more concerned about the comments concerning his attitude. Hopefully they are just rumors. I'd hate for a popular talented player like Dansby to go Thomas Boston on us.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
War Birds said:
i think you might mean david boston...big guy

No, he was talking about "David Jones". :)

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
Missing some of camp is no big deal for a vet like Dansby. I'm more concerned about the comments concerning his attitude. Hopefully they are just rumors. I'd hate for a popular talented player like Dansby to go Thomas Boston on us.

Yeah, I agree with you on both points. But, I don't think the concerns about his attitude are new. It's the reason he slid out the first round to us in the draft. I'm not going to worry much until something more tangible happens.

spanky1

Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=69907

Read Darren Urban's version of the Dansby thing. This is more major than we thought and is Karlos' second hand surgery this summer.

One procedure on a "pinky" finger and one on a thumb.....hardly the stuff to worry about.

Nonchalent......based on his play, no evidence there.This guy comes to play.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
I seriously doubt that we pick up any other LBs. This will give guys like Brandon Johnson and Mitchell more PT.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Nonchalent......based on his play, no evidence there.This guy comes to play.

Jurecki stated it had nothing to do with his play becuase he brings in on Sundays. The Nonchalent attitude comes from him not being a leader on or off the field. The coaches have been trying for a few years now to get him to be the leader of the defense and he has never taken that task to heart as of yet.

Some guys just arent those types of guys. Doesnt mean they cant play.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=69907

Read Darren Urban's version of the Dansby thing. This is more major than we thought and is Karlos' second hand surgery this summer.

i'm 180 on this....there is NOTHING to write about now and although i am sure he had the procedures...let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill....this is just a lot of lines to fill a paper....when the bell rings and he is sitting on the sidelines...then we have something to be concerned about...does it make sense for a guy in his "contract year" to dog it....seriously doubt it.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The coaches have been trying for a few years now to get him to be the leader of the defense and he has never taken that task to heart as of yet.

Some guys just arent those types of guys. Doesnt mean they cant play.

With guys like Berry, Wilson and Dockett on the Defense I'm not worried about Dansby not being a leader but am curious as to why the coaches would being trying to cast him in such a role.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedzBetz