Dansby, Ross return to practice

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Familiar Faces Return
Kate Brandt
azcardinals.com

As the Arizona Cardinals returned to the practice field Wednesday morning after their opening weekend victory over San Francisco, some familiar faces were back out on the field with the rest of the team. Linebacker Karlos Dansby and tackle Oliver Ross both practiced and are listed as probable for Sunday’s match up against the Seattle Seahawks.

“They got a lot of work in today and hopefully they’ll be able to get more and more work in,” said Head Coach Dennis Green following the morning practice session. “We’re hopeful they will be able to play.”

“It is a totally different beast; football shape versus running,” commented Ross on getting used to the speed of practice again. “I took a lot of reps today and I’m just trying to get back in the flow of things and get it going.”

Ross, who started 12 games at right tackle in 2005, suffered a knee injury the first week of training camp and underwent surgery in New York soon after. For the second straight season the eight year veteran was injured in the preseason and has had to fight and rehab his way back onto the playing field.

“You try to stay positive,” commented Ross on the frustrations he has endured the past two seasons. “I just wanted to get out there today and try to get on the same page as the guards and get the work in. If I don’t end up playing I just want to try to help in any way I can. Whether it is telling the guys something I see from the sidelines or something like that.”

Green admitted the team has yet to determine what role Ross will play if he is ready on Sunday.

On the other side of the ball, Karlos Dansby worked out with the team for the first time since last season.

“He is a good athlete, so he did a solid job out there,” stated Green on the linebackers return. “I think he showed that he can move around.”

Similar to Ross, Green has not determined what role Dansby would play this weekend but said he was pleased with the work he put in Wednesday.

“It felt alright,” stated Dansby after practice. “I’m just trying to get back into the swing of things and take it one step at a time. You have to crawl before you walk.”

Dansby is coming off an impressive sophomore NFL season where he recorded 103 tackles in and added four sacks and three interceptions. Two of his three interceptions were returned for a touchdown, making him the only Cardinals linebacker in team history to return two interceptions for a touchdown in a single-season. He was also one of only five players in the NFL in 2005 to record more than three sacks and three interceptions.

The former Auburn standout feels his situation has often been misconstrued and when the time comes for him to step back out on the field, he will be ready.

“I need to test the pads first before I play so I’m just taking it a day at a time and a step at a time so hopefully I’ll get back out on the field as soon as possible,” continued Dansby. “Right now I’m feeling pretty good and when I get back out on the field it is going to show. I think my game is going to be better. I’m trying to go to the next level.”

In Dansby’s absence, fourth year player Calvin Pace has been filling in at linebacker and has impressed the Cards coaching staff in his transition from defensive line to linebacker this season. Pace suffered a high ankle sprain against the 49ers last Sunday but participated in practice Wednesday.

“I was surprised,” exclaimed Green on the amount of progress Pace made from Sunday to Wednesday. “He worked very hard. Calvin represents what we really want to represent, which is a player that works to develop and become a player, and he wasn’t going to give up easy. He worked very hard with the trainers to get the swelling down and was able to go out and he was fine today so that was a big plus for us.”

“When you’ve watched enough football like me, one little bump isn’t going to keep me out,” added Pace, who spent a large portion of the 2005 season on the reserve non football injury list. “On top of that, I’ve got Karlos coming back and I know he’s trying to get in there so I can’t just give it up. I’ve had a sprained ankle before so this is just one of those things you have to fight through.”

Pace admitted to having stiffness in his ankle at the start of Wednesday’s practice but said it was to be expected.

“When it comes time for the game, the adrenaline will kick in and it will be fine.”

The Cards will keep their fingers crossed to have both Dansby and Ross back in the line up for Sunday’s division game at Qwest Field.

http://www.azcardinals.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=1164

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Macklin.............Okeafor - Watson - Berry..............Rolle

....................Huff - Hayes - Pace - Dansby..................

...........................Griffith.......Wilson..........................

OR.....

Macklin...............Okeafor - Watson - Berry............Rolle

......................Wilson - Hayes - Pace - Dansby...........
.........................:shock:............................... :shock: ..............

...............................Griffith........Francisco....................

:D
;)

I also dream of Rolle and Francisco in the backfield with a new Higher end corner in Rolle's position. With an improve Eric Green on the other side. Could you imagin Wilson and Dansby as the outside backers in a 3-4?

With the proper placement..... I think it could be sick.

Last edited:

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
:) now lets top it off with a win in seattle but indeed very very good news about both these players returning especially Dansby

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The news is really optimistic, but I don't feel we're out of the woods quite yet.

I don't know if it's the same for everybody, but for me I don't usually feel the affects of strenuous exercise on an injury til about 48 hours later.

What I'm hoping is that, by late tomorrow or early Friday, it will turn out that Ross's knee won't need to be drained, Dansby's toe doesn't look like a balloon and Calvin doesn't have to wander around with an ice pack strapped to his ankle.

Our priority should be to get all three back 100% healthy - even if it means waiting for one more game. Otherwise, if the injuries continue to nag or reoccur, we may lose one or all for the entire season (or at best have them perform at subpar levels).

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO Ross and Dansby will get some plays in on Sunday but not start. That may be a couple of weeks away. No reason to rush them in as its a long seson.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Two of his three interceptions were returned for a touchdown, making him the only Cardinals linebacker in team history to return two interceptions for a touchdown in a single-season. He was also one of only five players in the NFL in 2005 to record more than three sacks and three interceptions

Slacker.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good news, we NEED Karlos back on this defense.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My prediction:
Dansby plays significant snaps; Ross plays very little.

Big guys fall out of shape faster and farther.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
my prediction:

Ross & Dansby were intentionally held out & their status was make-believe. We have something up our sleeve for Seattle. We held back part of the playbook, IMO we probably held back some of the players.

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
vince56 said:
my prediction:

Ross & Dansby were intentionally held out & their status was make-believe. We have something up our sleeve for Seattle. We held back part of the playbook, IMO we probably held back some of the players.

If true then it was a brilliant plan. I have a hard time believing that, though.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Green.............Okeafor - Watson - Clancy - Berry..............Rolle

....................Wilson - Hayes - Dansby..................

...........................Griffith.......Fransisc o..........................

OR.....

Green...............Okeafor - Watson - L.Moore- Berry............Macklin

......................Wilson - Hayes - - Dansby...........
.................................................. .....
...............................Rolle........Franci sco....................

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
vince56 said:
my prediction:

I'm willing to believe the Cards held back on their play calling, but didn't Dansby and Ross miss most of training camp and all of preseason? Holding them out that long would do more harm than good imo.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
The news is really optimistic, but I don't feel we're out of the woods quite yet.

I don't know if it's the same for everybody, but for me I don't usually feel the affects of strenuous exercise on an injury til about 48 hours later.

What I'm hoping is that, by late tomorrow or early Friday, it will turn out that Ross's knee won't need to be drained, Dansby's toe doesn't look like a balloon and Calvin doesn't have to wander around with an ice pack strapped to his ankle.

Our priority should be to get all three back 100% healthy - even if it means waiting for one more game. Otherwise, if the injuries continue to nag or reoccur, we may lose one or all for the entire season (or at best have them perform at subpar levels).

spot on

i hate seeing players rushed back to see them break down again!

a week or two more and have them for 13 more game sounds good to me!

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Jttsaz said:
Gotta love Pace's attitude!
I totally agree , That is great news to hear . It is going to create some compition at linebacker and that should make them all better and hopefully fighting for positions.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gotta Thought...

Dansby's coming back, Pace is in his spot at SAM. Huff is playing to a much higher standard over at WILL.

Since it's tough to fit three quality players into two positions, would it make sense to groom either Dansby or Pace to also back up or spot Hayes in the middle? Both Calvin and Karlos have the size to run downhill and thump people from the MIKE position.

A 5-man LB rotation (Dansby, Hayes, Huff, Pace abd Darling - with Blackstock and B Johnson watching and learning and also playing spot roles - isn't too shabby.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Dansby's coming back, Pace is in his spot at SAM. Huff is playing to a much higher standard over at WILL.

Since it's tough to fit three quality players into two positions, would it make sense to groom either Dansby or Pace to also back up or spot Hayes in the middle? Both Calvin and Karlos have the size to run downhill and thump people from the MIKE position.

A 5-man LB rotation (Dansby, Hayes, Huff, Pace abd Darling - with Blackstock and B Johnson watching and learning and also playing spot roles - isn't too shabby.

To be honest, I thought Pace would have filled in the Mike position (similiar to Jamir Miller size and speed). I guess the coaches liked his rushing the passer skills from the outside.

I dunno...

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
There's a Dansby article on the front page of espn.com (sorry if this has already been posted)-

Sidelined for all of training camp and preseason by hand and toe injuries, Arizona Cardinals standout linebacker Karlos Dansby has returned to practice this week, but might not return to the starting lineup because the unit has played so well without him.

A third-year veteran and once regarded as a core player on the Arizona defense, Dansby, 24, is listed as "probable" on the Arizona injury report. It's questionable, though, where he will play and how many snaps he will log if he returns for Sunday's divisional matchup against the Seattle Seahawks.
"We haven't decided what role he will play," coach Dennis Green told the local media early this week.
Coming off a 2005 season in which he had one of the best all-around years of any strongside linebacker in the league, it seemed clear that Dansby was earmarked for a huge role in the continued improvement of the Cardinals' defense, and team officials hinted they had targeted him for a long-term contract extension.

But then Dansby underwent surgeries to repair ligament damage to his right pinkie finger and left thumb, missed time with a strained hamstring, and subsequently suffered a toe injury on his left foot. That injury did not require surgery, but the extensive treatment kept Dansby off the field for all of camp. At one point, Dansby even suggested that the toe injury might be career-threatening.
Add to all of that the fact that Green was said to be less than satisfied with Dansby's lack of participation on the voluntary segment of offseason practices.

In the absence of Dansby, former defensive end Calvin Pace, who Cardinals officials feared might turn out to be a first-round bust, switched to strongside linebacker and has played well. It will be difficult, now that the Arizona coaches have defined a role for Pace, who has embraced the switch, to move him back to end or bump him from the lineup. If the Cardinals decide to move Dansby to weakside linebacker, he will have to battle incumbent Orlando Huff for the starting job there. The most likely scenario is that Dansby will return as a reserve and will have to earn more playing time.

There is no denying Dansby's athletic abilities, but the Cardinals wanted him this offseason to work more on the mental side of the game. His lack of practice time, though, precluded that.

The former Auburn standout started in 27 of 30 appearances in his first two seasons in the league. In a 2005 performance that demonstrated his all-around playmaking skills, Dansby registered 103 tackles, four sacks, three interceptions, five passes defensed and three fumble recoveries. He returned two of the interceptions for touchdowns.

A second-round pick in the 2004 draft, after having been projected by most scouts as a first-round prospect, Dansby has 171 tackles, nine sacks, four interceptions, three forced fumbles and six fumble recoveries in his first two NFL seasons.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2587553

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

an excellent thougt....pace and dansby are not only good hitters but they have the speed to get it done..

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gotta admit I'm looking forward to hearing Dave Pasch scream "What a play by Karlos Dansby" on Sirius radio Sunday.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
but might not return to the starting lineup because the unit has played so well without him.

They have?

Didn't SF have almost 400 yards of offense?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard