Dan Campbell

Reaction score
Head Coach Dan Campbell is in a long line of leaders who are skilled at selecting the best, just fantastic, assistants and delegating the authority to them. He's trained with Bill Parcells, so he knows how to find a Bill Belicheck and Josh McDaniels who will work silently in his coal mine, eating tape and Cup O'Noodles 18 hours a day and unlocking the secrets of all 53 men on the roster.

He doesn't need to know how an offense works, because he knows how people work.

Adam Gase failed in Miami because he was weak, his players recognized that he was weak, and became weak from his leadership. Kliff Kingsbury will come to Head Coah Dan Campbell because he hungers for the strong leadership of a head coach that he hasn't known since he was with Mike Leach at Texas Tech. Not even Bill Belicheck could harness the potential of Kingsbury, but Head Coach Dan Campbell's leadership calls to him.

Miami is so blind from spray-on tans that they weren't able to recognize the talent they had.

Lol.

I'm all in on the Dan Campbell bandwagon btw.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Head Coach Dan Campbell is in a long line of leaders who are skilled at selecting the best, just fantastic, assistants and delegating the authority to them. He's trained with Bill Parcells, so he knows how to find a Bill Belicheck and Josh McDaniels who will work silently in his coal mine, eating tape and Cup O'Noodles 18 hours a day and unlocking the secrets of all 53 men on the roster.

He doesn't need to know how an offense works, because he knows how people work.

Adam Gase failed in Miami because he was weak, his players recognized that he was weak, and became weak from his leadership. Kliff Kingsbury will come to Head Coah Dan Campbell because he hungers for the strong leadership of a head coach that he hasn't known since he was with Mike Leach at Texas Tech. Not even Bill Belicheck could harness the potential of Kingsbury, but Head Coach Dan Campbell's leadership calls to him.

Miami is so blind from spray-on tans that they weren't able to recognize the talent they had.
I am assuming that he will make all of the players eat lightnin' and crap thunder.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You really think Campbell would be a solid hire, Kerouac? I think that’s interesting, just because I haven’t seen someone say it before. Do you think it’s because he’s not the sexy choice like a young former head coach or a College hotspot? I too am leaning toward Campbell of the four known candidates. I think he seems like a good leader, and since that’s much more important in a head coach than whether he can call plays, I would take that 100 times out of 100, and then hire good coordinators, than to hire the playcaller as a head coach just because you have to if you want to get him.

I don’t know. Maybe we don’t know all the candidates yet. I will say, though, that right now it would surprise me if not someone does make Campbell their head coach.

We just had a leader fail miserably because he didn't bring in a quality staff underneath him. Campbell would have to show he can bring in a serious staff to be considered.

According to the revenge of the birds podcast, Dan Campbell would bring Zac Taylor as his OC based on their previous working relationship. Talks about it at the 49:30 mark.

https://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2...test-on-the-coaching-search-with-allbrightnfl

Isnt revenge of the birds just a fan site throwing spaghetti on the wall.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Well he certainly has the organizational skills and is popular with the players and coaches. That said he’s never been an OC or a DC. It’s hard for me to picture a HC that could help either position if they struggle. The chief knock on him is he’s not an Xs&Os guy. Making the call to go for it or fake a punt would fall to a coordinator. Just makes me nervous.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Making the call to go for it or fake a punt would fall to a coordinator.

agree with all, but this doesn't follow. I think those are decisions he could make without ever being a coordinator

OP
OP
outcent13

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We just had a leader fail miserably because he didn't bring in a quality staff underneath him. Campbell would have to show he can bring in a serious staff to be considered.

Isnt revenge of the birds just a fan site throwing spaghetti on the wall.

I have no idea.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no idea.
Considering a primary columnist is an ex poster from here, I don't imagine they have actual information that isn't already available in line but who knows

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well he certainly has the organizational skills and is popular with the players and coaches. That said he’s never been an OC or a DC. It’s hard for me to picture a HC that could help either position if they struggle. The chief knock on him is he’s not an Xs&Os guy. Making the call to go for it or fake a punt would fall to a coordinator. Just makes me nervous.

Name a coordinator who would 'Go for it' or 'fake a punt' without clearing it with H-C?

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fwiw, Tomlin (who I can’t stand) has never had any positional control of the Steelers. Though he came as a D coach, he was a secondary coach of a Tampa 2 team. He’s never incorporated any of that into Pittsburgh.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Is this guy even scheduled for an interview with AZ?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
You had me at tug of war.

I’m pretty sure every cheesy 80’s movie montage where weakling losers turn into stud winners includes the requisite “before” and “after” tug of war clips.

Ah, I can just see the worst to first turnaround spearheaded by Campbell’s wacky coaching hijinks now...

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What am I missing. What is going on here :idea:

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You had me at tug of war.

I’m pretty sure every cheesy 80’s movie montage where weakling losers turn into stud winners includes the requisite “before” and “after” tug of war clips.

Ah, I can just see the worst to first turnaround spearheaded by Campbell’s wacky coaching hijinks now...

Worked for Dan Quinn until he lost Shannahan...

artp

Registered
Reaction score
Campbell checks some of the boxes:

Head coaching experience
Offensive oriented
Young guy who if he works, can be here 10+ years
Love the experience -- Parcells and Sean Payton

a thing that jumped out from the SN article linked above:

"Campbell began doing that immediately by firing defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle and making other staff tweaks (offensive coordinator Bill Lazor was axed later in the season). He changed the arrangement of player lockers to better promote camaraderie. He emphasized the importance of competition through such motivational tactics as a tug-of-war, a full-contact Oklahoma drill and practices that pitted front-line offensive and defensive players against each other rather than the scout team."

I think it would be understandable as an interim HC to lean on everyone else-- instead, he made a bunch of significant changes --- and it paid off in wins.

Said Campbell: “One of the hardest things for ex-players who are coaches is for them to really drive their players.

still all in on Kliff for the spectacle of it, but Campbell would be a solid choice
I liked Gase .Now I want Campell

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Name a coordinator who would 'Go for it' or 'fake a punt' without clearing it with H-C?

My point is would he have a handle on these situations. My experience is the OC always wants to go for it and the DC always says we can stop them and get the ball back. I’m not sure early on he’s got the experience for knowing which way to go. Unit evaluation based on practice is notoriously unreliable. I know the guy I proposed doesn’t have that experience but Taylor brings a deep understanding of one side of the ball. He can get commitment at line level.