Dan Campbell

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Found this read on Dan Campbell. Intriguing and he seems like the kind of guy that Keim can work well with. This is important because I think its going to be Keim's choice this time around. His time in the league could mean that he has developed some good relationships with potential assistants as well. As an added bonus for some he served on the same coaching staff as Todd Bowles in 2012.

Correction: Bowles and Campbell did not coach with the Dolphins at the same time.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...phins-cowboys-colts/2808dcb6pxoo131f095zz7qgp

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't mean to be difficult, but I'm not so sure a high priority needs to be "gets along with the GM." ("Ability to win" would also be nice.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Don't mean to be difficult, but I'm not so sure a high priority needs to be "gets along with the GM." ("Ability to win" would also be nice.
Really? You don't believe that the best organizations in football have cohesion between the owner, the GM and the HC? That is THE FORMULA. Chiefs got rid of Dorsey...all good. Pats...all good. Saints...all good. Rams...all good. Even the Cowboys hit on overachieving due to organizational cohesion.

Hell, you could argue that the Cardinals went to crap when people started getting jealous because they weren't getting enough credit.

OP
OP
outcent13

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think its pretty important for them to have a good working relationship. Trent Baalke and Jim Harbaugh are one example of why its important in my opinion. That being said its not the end all, winning is the key metric and based on the interviews the Cardinals have set up, none of them can really make that claim as a head coach. I did find that actually reading the article opened my eyes to the pedigree of Campbell and the reason he is being considered for multiple head coaching positions.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Found this read on Dan Campbell. Intriguing and he seems like the kind of guy that Keim can work well with. This is important because I think its going to be Keim's choice this time around. His time in the league could mean that he has developed some good relationships with potential assistants as well. As an added bonus for some he served on the same coaching staff as Todd Bowles in 2012.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...phins-cowboys-colts/2808dcb6pxoo131f095zz7qgp
After reading the article...you are correct, he seems to share a lot of what Keim seems to value.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Honestly, I was against it until I did some research. A TE coach? Really? But after reading more about the man he seems like he would be a solid choice.

Maybe with a TE Coach/Former TE as HC, the Cards can finally figure out how to A) Use a TE on offense and B) Stop a TE on defense.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
He can probably bench more than anyone on the team:

You must be registered for see images attach

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Dan CHive is growing. Can you feel the buzz in the air? He doesn't have an ego about systems or personnel control. He wants to build up the weak and lead the strong. He knows how to identify talented playcallers and develop them.

Bruce Arians was the TE coach of the New Orleans Saints in 1996. Ken Whisenhunt was TE coach for Baltimore, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh. Coincidence? Dan Campbell's the next TE coach to lead the Arizona Cardinals to the promised land.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Campbell checks some of the boxes:

Head coaching experience
Offensive oriented
Young guy who if he works, can be here 10+ years
Love the experience -- Parcells and Sean Payton

a thing that jumped out from the SN article linked above:

"Campbell began doing that immediately by firing defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle and making other staff tweaks (offensive coordinator Bill Lazor was axed later in the season). He changed the arrangement of player lockers to better promote camaraderie. He emphasized the importance of competition through such motivational tactics as a tug-of-war, a full-contact Oklahoma drill and practices that pitted front-line offensive and defensive players against each other rather than the scout team."

I think it would be understandable as an interim HC to lean on everyone else-- instead, he made a bunch of significant changes --- and it paid off in wins.

Said Campbell: “One of the hardest things for ex-players who are coaches is for them to really drive their players.

still all in on Kliff for the spectacle of it, but Campbell would be a solid choice

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dan CHive is growing. Can you feel the buzz in the air? He doesn't have an ego about systems or personnel control. He wants to build up the weak and lead the strong. He knows how to identify talented playcallers and develop them.

Bruce Arians was the TE coach of the New Orleans Saints in 1996. Ken Whisenhunt was TE coach for Baltimore, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh. Coincidence? Dan Campbell's the next TE coach to lead the Arizona Cardinals to the promised land.
Correct me if I'm wrong but both Arians and Whiz both did time as OC's before landing here. It's one thing to be a position coach. It's quite another to head up the entire offense.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

You really think Campbell would be a solid hire, Kerouac? I think that’s interesting, just because I haven’t seen someone say it before. Do you think it’s because he’s not the sexy choice like a young former head coach or a College hotspot? I too am leaning toward Campbell of the four known candidates. I think he seems like a good leader, and since that’s much more important in a head coach than whether he can call plays, I would take that 100 times out of 100, and then hire good coordinators, than to hire the playcaller as a head coach just because you have to if you want to get him.

I don’t know. Maybe we don’t know all the candidates yet. I will say, though, that right now it would surprise me if not someone does make Campbell their head coach.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Long time cardinal-user. What’s a tightend?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tight_end

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really? You don't believe that the best organizations in football have cohesion between the owner, the GM and the HC? That is THE FORMULA. Chiefs got rid of Dorsey...all good. Pats...all good. Saints...all good. Rams...all good. Even the Cowboys hit on overachieving due to organizational cohesion.

Hell, you could argue that the Cardinals went to crap when people started getting jealous because they weren't getting enough credit.
I wasn't clear about the point I was trying to make - Of course the ability to get along with the GM is important, but if you were to rank HC attributes (like game-planning, play-design, player development etc.) there might be at least a few higher priorities than "gets along with the GM."). Conversely, I'd hate to pass on the next Vince Lombardi because he wasn't an accomplished back-slapper.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I give a lot of value to K9's opinion, so spending some time researching Campbell.

He is certainly green but I like his intensity. He could be the next John Harbaugh (no coordinator experience) or the next Raheem Morris.

Questions to be answered
  • Who would be on his staff (absolutely needs a top notch OC and DC)?
  • How long would this tough guy act last (the next Cowher or Rex Ryan)?
  • Why wouldn't Miami interview him now?
Miami Dolphin introductory press conference:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like what I read and feel he should certainly be considered a strong candidate. The key would be who he would bring as his OC and DC.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
He was the interim in Miami before they hired Gase, so that ship has sailed.

That is my point.

If he is an up and coming coach, great motivator, and has valuable Saints experience...why wouldn't they at least talk to him again?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but both Arians and Whiz both did time as OC's before landing here. It's one thing to be a position coach. It's quite another to head up the entire offense.

Head Coach Dan Campbell is in a long line of leaders who are skilled at selecting the best, just fantastic, assistants and delegating the authority to them. He's trained with Bill Parcells, so he knows how to find a Bill Belicheck and Josh McDaniels who will work silently in his coal mine, eating tape and Cup O'Noodles 18 hours a day and unlocking the secrets of all 53 men on the roster.

He doesn't need to know how an offense works, because he knows how people work.

You really think Campbell would be a solid hire, Kerouac? I think that’s interesting, just because I haven’t seen someone say it before. Do you think it’s because he’s not the sexy choice like a young former head coach or a College hotspot? I too am leaning toward Campbell of the four known candidates. I think he seems like a good leader, and since that’s much more important in a head coach than whether he can call plays, I would take that 100 times out of 100, and then hire good coordinators, than to hire the playcaller as a head coach just because you have to if you want to get him.

I don’t know. Maybe we don’t know all the candidates yet. I will say, though, that right now it would surprise me if not someone does make Campbell their head coach.

Adam Gase failed in Miami because he was weak, his players recognized that he was weak, and became weak from his leadership. Kliff Kingsbury will come to Head Coah Dan Campbell because he hungers for the strong leadership of a head coach that he hasn't known since he was with Mike Leach at Texas Tech. Not even Bill Belicheck could harness the potential of Kingsbury, but Head Coach Dan Campbell's leadership calls to him.

I give a lot of value to K9's opinion, so spending some time researching Campbell.

He is certainly green but I like his intensity. He could be the next John Harbaugh (no coordinator experience) or the next Raheem Morris.

Questions to be answered
  • Who would be on his staff (absolutely needs a top notch OC and DC)?
  • How long would this tough guy act last (the next Cowher or Rex Ryan)?
  • Why wouldn't Miami interview him now?
Miami Dolphin introductory press conference:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Miami is so blind from spray-on tans that they weren't able to recognize the talent they had.