D-Back implicated in steroids probe.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He is not going to be too popular in the clubhouse.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/0606grimsley-ON.html

Craig Harris, Joseph A. Reaves and Nick Piecoro
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 7, 2006 06:17 PM

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Jason Grimsley admitted taking illegal performance-enhancing drugs and said that amphetamines were used "like aspirin" in major league clubhouses, according to an affidavit filed by the lead federal investigator in baseball's steroid investigation.

The affidavit, filed in U.S. District Court in Phoenix, said Grimsley agreed to cooperate with U.S. Internal Revenue Service agents after Grimsley received a package containing two kits of human growth hormone April 19 at his Scottsdale home.

The affidavit, obtained by The Arizona Republic, comes nearly four years after the IRS began its probe of BALCO, the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative, near San Francisco. The original goal was to investigate a drug ring that distributed steroids and other illegal performance-enhancing drugs to elite athletes.
It is the first time an Arizona Diamondbacks player has been linked publicly to the scandal, which has implicated San Francisco Giants slugger Barry Bonds, New York Yankees first baseman Jason Giambi and others.

Grimsley provided "extensive statements regarding his receipt and use of anabolic steroids, amphetamines and human growth hormone over the last several years," the affidavit said.

Grimsley also provided "details about his knowledge of other Major League Baseball players" using illegal performance-enhancing drugs, including several close acquaintances.

An hour before Tuesday night's game against Philadelphia, Grimsley told The Republic, "I have no comment about that and no idea about that."

Jeff Novitzky, the IRS special agent in charge of the BALCO case, filed the affidavit, which also said agents were anticipating the shipment of human growth hormones to Grimsley's home. In a two-hour interview with federal investigators on April 19, Grimsley told investigators:

• Until last year, major league clubhouses had coffee pots labeled "leaded" and "unleaded" for the players, indicating coffee with amphetamines and without. He did not specify how many.

• Latin players were a major source for the amphetamines within baseball.

• Amphetamines alsocame from players on California teams that could easily go into Mexico and get them.

Names of other players he suspected of using anabolic steroids or human growth hormone were redacted from the document.

In September 2003, the IRS and Food and Drug Administration agents raided the offices of BALCO and at an off-site facility found containers labeled as steroids, testosterone and human-growth hormones, which can make athletes stronger and faster.

No professional athlete has been charged in the BALCO investigation, although Bonds and Giambi testified before a federal grand jury in 2003.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig this spring appointed former U.S. Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell to investigate players who were alleged to have used illegal steroids.

Mitchell's appointment came after pressure from Congress and the release this spring of Game of Shadows, a book written by two San Francisco Chronicle reporters who describe how Bonds and other players used illegal performance-enhancing drugs provided by BALCO.

Until 2003, baseball didn't conduct drug tests for steroids. The following year, it began imposing penalties.

Last July, BALCO founder Victor Conte Jr, the central figure in the investigation, pleaded guilty to distributing steroids and money laundering in a plea-bargain deal. He was sentenced to four months in prison and four months of house arrest.

Three others, including Greg Anderson, Bonds' personal trainer, have negotiated deals with federal prosecutors for their roles in providing illegal performance-enhancing drugs to roughly 30 athletes.
if(ScriptsLoaded) stInit();
[/FONT]

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
....and here he comes in to pitch!

With the way Ortiz started the first, Grimsley should inject him in the dugout!

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Get rid if him now. Grimsley's production can easily be replaced and this nonsense is only going to cause a clubhouse distraction even if it is minor one. And we all know he's likely to be blackballed anyways.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What D'Back players do you assume might be using?

From the 2001 team I always thought Gonzo, Durazo and Matt Williams were using illegal enhancing drugs.

FinleyLover

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't think Gonzo or Matty did. Durazo probably, along with Danny Bautista. Junior Spivey absolutely.
IMO, the best thing would be to "release" him as a sign of zero tolerance toward any usage. Nothing good will come out of this. Sounds like he was caught red handed so he had little choice but to cooperate. I would love to see exactly whose names have been blacked out on the report.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is going to get interesting - and not just for the Dbacks.....

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Too bad Bonds wasn't caught the same way.

Imagine the look on Grimsley's face when the Feds came a knockin'?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Something tells me that this is going to hurt baseball more than anything to date. I wish I knew the names under the black marks

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Danny Bo, Gonzo, and Durazo are pretty much definites. Reggie Sanders was a possibility too.

Grimsley wasn't here when those guys were.

Stallion

Cats, Cards, Bax, Suns
Reaction score
Jayson Stark has a list of all the teams/guys Grimsley has played with:

He played with the Phillies of the early 1990s, with a bunch of players who went on to become a major part of the worst-to-first saga of their 1993 World Series runner-up team.

He played with the Indians of the mid-'90s, on a team of mashers that eventually grew into the only club in the past 70 years to score 1,000 runs in a season.

He played with the Yankees of 1999 and 2000, teams that won back-to-back World Series.

And he played with the Orioles of 2004-05, with guys named Rafael Palmeiro and Sammy Sosa.

Not to mention the '96 Angels or the 2006 Diamondbacks, or the three teams (Astros, Tigers and Brewers) that dumped him without bringing him back to the big leagues.

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=73735

HooverDam

Reaction score
Zona90 said:
What D'Back players do you assume might be using?

From the 2001 team I always thought Gonzo, Durazo and Matt Williams were using illegal enhancing drugs.

Gonzo? Are you kidding me? The guy has the EXACT same body he has had his entire career. He had a career year, that happens sometimes, plus he good players batting in front/behind him. Same deal w/ Williams. You realize William was on pace to break Maris' record before the strike, right? That guy could rake in his day.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Those pictures are useless. One's a mug shot of which you can't see anything and the other is no good as well. However, I do agree that if any Dback should be accused of using roids, Gonzo is at the top of the list. Whether it was a career year or not, a drastic change in numbers like Gonzo's is reason to raise eyebrows. Not saying he did or didn't but it's a valid argument. Durazo roided for sure, no doubt about it.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is this the face of a steroid user?
You must be registered for see images attach

Homer Simpson

All Star
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
Those pictures are useless. One's a mug shot of which you can't see anything and the other is no good as well. However, I do agree that if any Dback should be accused of using roids, Gonzo is at the top of the list. Whether it was a career year or not, a drastic change in numbers like Gonzo's is reason to raise eyebrows. Not saying he did or didn't but it's a valid argument. Durazo roided for sure, no doubt about it.

But did Durazo do it illegally? He's from Mexico, he lives in Mexico (I think), he goes to Mexico often. While it Mexico, Durazo could pretty much put any type of steroid into his body, and there was nothing wrong with it, prior to the ban by MLB.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Homer Simpson said:
But did Durazo do it illegally? He's from Mexico, he lives in Mexico (I think), he goes to Mexico often. While it Mexico, Durazo could pretty much put any type of steroid into his body, and there was nothing wrong with it, prior to the ban by MLB.

It's MLB's problem. They didn't ban steroids, now they have to deal with it. However, to say there's nothing wrong with Durazo doing steroids because he's from Mexico is rediculous. Sure, it's legal there but it's still cheating and thats the bottom line. If he were to fail a steriod test in the U.S., whether he did them in mexico or not, it would still be a crime.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Homer Simpson said:

Durazo moved to Tucson and played high school ball there and played college ball at Pima CC.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
You lost me

My bad, it was a joke but I spaced out and forgot to say is this his Jason's evil twin brother. I really like the picture, it reminds me of the Oscar Gamble picture.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard