Curious About Brown

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Does trading back in the draft change our opinion or options by getting another high R2 pick which could allow us to pick a WR? The thing is we know that Hollywood is pretty good and is productive for us, drafting a WR usually doesn't help that much his first year or two, unless you get enough draft picks to feel comfortable about picking one of the top WR somewhere in R1, which I doubt we would do with all our needs.

Personally, if we could trade back, get another high R2/3 picks, I wouldn't complain if we took the TCU stud, Johnston. However, that would still raise the question of how to get out of Hopkins deal and if we should pay Brown. So, does that change anything except give us maybe the best WR corp in the league and put fear into every team we play. I can dream up an awesome scenario with that possible WR lineup along with the threat of a running QB. Yikes!
This is not a great draft for WRs

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As productive as Hopkins still can be, I can warm up to the idea of pairing a young stud wide receiver with Hollywood Brown the two could be together for several years.
Because of the savings with the rookie contract I might be convinced to overspend just a little on Hollywood. By the time the rook’s extension comes round Hollywood’s contract might not look so bad.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As productive as Hopkins still can be, I can warm up to the idea of pairing a young stud wide receiver with Hollywood Brown the two could be together for several years.
Especially if you can get a first for Hop and get Hollywood signed to a contract commensurate with his #2 WR status. But we HAVE to nail that pick if we go WR because we have a second 1st rounder from trade.

Harsh reality is we might be looking at a full rebuild including QB. If we have a new GM, Stocking picks to build around whoever that will be should be the plan for the future. Hell, same goes for Kyler if he can come back and be better. Not expecting that next year though. Think it’s gonna be a wash for the whole team.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Its clearly cheap.

If your point is we should have used our 1st round pick on a draft pick while you simultaneously rip every single 1st round draft pick Keim made I think you answered your own question.

You cherry picked Waddle and Chase. Two top 6 picks which we haven't had.

You didn't mention all the failures in the 20s where we were actually picking.
I listed players who are legitimately under cheap cost control as recent first round picks. You replied with...whatever this is.

Keim's former first round picks have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not paying Hollywood's $13.4 million fifth-year option is considered "cheap control." It's just moving the goalposts yet again.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I listed players who are legitimately under cheap cost control as recent first round picks. You replied with...whatever this is.

Keim's former first round picks have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not paying Hollywood's $13.4 million fifth-year option is considered "cheap control." It's just moving the goalposts yet again.

Its clearly cheap. WR30+ is cheap by anyone's definition except yours apparently.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Its clearly cheap. WR30+ is cheap by anyone's definition except yours apparently.
With 32 teams and each starting 2 receivers there’s 64 starting receivers in the league. 30ish would be average for a starting receiver and on the higher end of average for all receivers in the league.

30ish would be exactly where he likely belongs as one of the worst #1s or best #2s.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
With 32 teams and each starting 2 receivers there’s 64 starting receivers in the league. 30ish would be average for a starting receiver and on the higher end of average for all receivers in the league.

30ish would be exactly where he likely belongs as one of the worst #1s or best #2s.
I think he was playing at least like a top 20 #1 when Hopkins was out the 1st 6 games.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
True, but the TCU kid looks for real.
There always seems to be at least two WRs in every draft which will play a significant time in the NFL, this is just one of those drafts where you have to find that guy because the overall draft at the position is murky. I know this, this team needs DL/OL reinforcements more than anything else if they ever expect to win

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think he was playing at least like a top 20 #1 when Hopkins was out the 1st 6 games.
For a mediocre team. So it wasn’t like he was making a huge impact. We were all still saying “wait until hop gets back,” which is telling. Look, he’s not scrub, but he’s far from a top receiver in the league.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
For a mediocre team. So it wasn’t like he was making a huge impact. We were all still saying “wait until hop gets back,” which is telling. Look, he’s not scrub, but he’s far from a top
There always seems to be at least two WRs in every draft which will play a significant time in the NFL, this is just one of those drafts where you have to find that guy because the overall draft at the position is murky. I know this, this team needs DL/OL reinforcements more than anything else if they ever expect to win
I don’t disagree. And I don’t think we go into this draft LOOKING for receiver. I’m saying if we don’t get either of the two top defenders and this kid is for real you take him. If he’s potentially Calvin Johnson you take him instead of Levi brown or Gaines adams because you need help in the trenches.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Bump.

No extension this offseason (good news IMO). I would imagine he gets traded during the season if he stays healthy/plays well.

It doesn't make sense for us to pay Brown the kind of money he would be seeking.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Bump.

No extension this offseason (good news IMO). I would imagine he gets traded during the season if he stays healthy/plays well.

It doesn't make sense for us to pay Brown the kind of money he would be seeking.
You’re not going to get much for a 10-12 game rental on a guy. Might as well keep him. It’s maybe the most support Kyler will get when he comes back.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
You’re not going to get much for a 10-12 game rental on a guy. Might as well keep him. It’s maybe the most support Kyler will get when he comes back.
Agreed. Brown’s future with the team probably depends on Murray, Almost as much as Murray’s future with the team depends on Murray. If Kyler comes back and plays well, and has that synergy with brown, then you probably keep him and extend him… Especially if you’re planning to be billed to only take two drafts.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

I get it but he is a free agent at the end of this season. We gave up a #1 for him...need to figure out how to get some value in return.

I am in full tank mode this year. I love the new coaching staff/GM and ready to rebuild this team. 2 top 5 picks would help in a big way.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I get it but he is a free agent at the end of this season. We gave up a #1 for him...need to figure out how to get some value in return.

I am in full tank mode this year. I love the new coaching staff/GM and ready to rebuild this team. 2 top 5 picks would help in a big way.
I think you need to view Marquise Brown as a sunk cost whose main value is his ability to assist you in evaluating Kyler Murray.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the team was willing to let D-Hop go and take a HUGE cap hit to do so, I don't see how they keep Hollywood unless he balls out.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Brown’s future with the team probably depends on Murray, Almost as much as Murray’s future with the team depends on Murray. If Kyler comes back and plays well, and has that synergy with brown, then you probably keep him and extend him… Especially if you’re planning to be billed to only take two drafts.
I can agree with that statement. If we are really bad, we may move on from both and grab Williams/Maye and maybe even Harrison Jr.

If we are better than expected and Kyler and Hollywood have a connection that will grow, then pair him with Harrison. Suddenly our WR group looks really good again.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm actually curious to see what Brown can do in an NFL offense with Kyler. Kliff's offense was so one dimensional.

Also I'm really curious to see if Clayton Tune gets a chance to throw balls to Brown. Tune has great touch on his deep ball and at Houston he constantly connected with Tank Dell who plays the game similar to Brown.

Here are the Tune to Dell highlights:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I don't think the value of a 4th round pick is going to outweigh having a target for Murray when he comes back. Either Rondale Moore or Michael Wilson will be injured by then (probably both).

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
I can agree with that statement. If we are really bad, we may move on from both and grab Williams/Maye and maybe even Harrison Jr.

If we are better than expected and Kyler and Hollywood have a connection that will grow, then pair him with Harrison. Suddenly our WR group looks really good again.
Honestly, that's what I'm hoping for. Brown has been a good soldier (even with the speeding ticket)....doesn't complain or make waves in the locker-room (basically the exact opposite of his cousin)...and talentwise, he's a good 1/2 tweener receiver. He's only 26, so he should realistically have 4-5 good, productive years before the start of decline.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Honestly, that's what I'm hoping for. Brown has been a good soldier (even with the speeding ticket)....doesn't complain or make waves in the locker-room (basically the exact opposite of his cousin)...and talentwise, he's a good 1/2 tweener receiver. He's only 26, so he should realistically have 4-5 good, productive years before the start of decline.
His contract with a good season slots in around 19-20 mil per season (the Diontae Johnson, DJ Moore range). You paying that?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard