Curious About Brown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Playing with a Baltimore quarterback who averaged below 3000 yards passing and had a 64% completion rate during his tenure. Had he not been sidelined, he would have been en route to a 90 to 100 catches - 1000 yards+ season.
As has been said a myriad of times, availability is the most important ability. All you can do is see what he’s actually produced. Otherwise you’re just paying for potential.

And averaging a whopping 10.7 yards per catch. IMPACT baby, IMPACT!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Playing with a Baltimore quarterback who averaged below 3000 yards passing and had a 64% completion rate during his tenure. Had he not been sidelined, he would have been en route to a 90 to 100 catches - 1000 yards+ season.
100 catches for 1000 is mediocrity at the WR position. It’s a high volume, low impact player. Overpaying him because we put ourselves in a bad position at the position would just be repeating the mistakes of the past.

Something I know you’re fond of considering based on your devotion to Cardinals failures that have kept us mired in mediocrity or the cellar.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not particular to Brown.....

But every single year when the season is over there is always a list of guys who we say ... "not worth paying well. He is a bum.". Only to have all of the sudden during the next season have a bunch of people saying "Told you we should have kept him. Player X for us blows! Why didn't we extend him for cheap?"

My point is we are really crappy at this. Who we extend, re-sign and who we don't. Cardinals fans and the GM are almost always wrong.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As has been said a myriad of times, availability is the most important ability. All you can do is see what he’s actually produced. Otherwise you’re just paying for potential.

And averaging a whopping 10.7 yards per catch. IMPACT baby, IMPACT!

And availability can't be guaranteed in a crash sport.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And availability can't be guaranteed in a crash sport.
You’re right. Just like you can’t guarantee he’d remain on the pace you projected for him, which he didn’t maintain when he came back from injury. His best season is 100 for 1008 at 11.6 per. That’s squarely mediocre.

Let’s put this another way, where do you rank hollywood amongst wrs in the league?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
100 catches for 1000 is mediocrity at the WR position. It’s a high volume, low impact player. Overpaying him because we put ourselves in a bad position at the position would just be repeating the mistakes of the past.

Something I know you’re fond of considering based on your devotion to Cardinals failures that have kept us mired in mediocrity or the cellar.

Your definition of mediocrity and actual mediocrity is not necessarily the same thing.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Have you seen what WRs get paid?

$13m is WR27 next year. Probably WR35 by the time free agency is done.
Jamar Chase making $8.4 million next year is cheap. Jalen Waddle making $7.4 million next year is cheap. CeeDee Lamb making $4.5 million next year is cheap. Tyler Linderbaum making $3 million next year is cheap. They are all under actual cheap control because they are still in the value years of their rookie contracts, which is obviously one of the huge advantages of 1st round picks.

Hollywood as the 27th highest paid receiver among 64 starters in the league isn't cheap. It might be right around where he should be paid on a long-term deal, but it's by no means the kind of value you are looking to get out of a first round pick a year later.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You’re right. Just like you can’t guarantee he’d remain on the pace you projected for him, which he didn’t maintain when he came back from injury. His best season is 100 for 1008 at 11.6 per. That’s squarely mediocre.

Let’s put this another way, where do you rank hollywood amongst wrs in the league?

So am I to understand that you disagree with the Cards decision to pick up his fifth-year option?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Good job it was 91 then.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jamar Chase making $8.4 million next year is cheap. Jalen Waddle making $7.4 million next year is cheap. CeeDee Lamb making $4.5 million next year is cheap. Tyler Linderbaum making $3 million next year is cheap. They are all under actual cheap control because they are still in the value years of their rookie contracts, which is obviously one of the huge advantages of 1st round picks.

Hollywood as the 27th highest paid receiver among 64 starters in the league isn't cheap. It might be right around where he should be paid on a long-term deal, but it's by no means the kind of value you are looking to get out of a first round pick a year later.

Its clearly cheap.

If your point is we should have used our 1st round pick on a draft pick while you simultaneously rip every single 1st round draft pick Keim made I think you answered your own question.

You cherry picked Waddle and Chase. Two top 6 picks which we haven't had.

You didn't mention all the failures in the 20s where we were actually picking.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you think of retaining Brown at $13 mil? Would you extend him with a longer contract?
If I could , I would trade Brown for a pick. I’d look at a guy like Juwan Johnson. He is RFA not sure if it’s possible. But he is a big dude and wouldn’t cost 13m

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So am I to understand that you disagree with the Cards decision to pick up his fifth-year option?
No, I think it’s fair value for him for what he’s done. I think he’s right around the 25-35th best receiver off the top of my head.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Does trading back in the draft change our opinion or options by getting another high R2 pick which could allow us to pick a WR? The thing is we know that Hollywood is pretty good and is productive for us, drafting a WR usually doesn't help that much his first year or two, unless you get enough draft picks to feel comfortable about picking one of the top WR somewhere in R1, which I doubt we would do with all our needs.

Personally, if we could trade back, get another high R2/3 picks, I wouldn't complain if we took the TCU stud, Johnston. However, that would still raise the question of how to get out of Hopkins deal and if we should pay Brown. So, does that change anything except give us maybe the best WR corp in the league and put fear into every team we play. I can dream up an awesome scenario with that possible WR lineup along with the threat of a running QB. Yikes!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Does trading back in the draft change our opinion or options by getting another high R2 pick which could allow us to pick a WR? The thing is we know that Hollywood is pretty good and is productive for us, drafting a WR usually doesn't help that much his first year or two, unless you get enough draft picks to feel comfortable about picking one of the top WR somewhere in R1, which I doubt we would do with all our needs.

Personally, if we could trade back, get another high R2/3 picks, I wouldn't complain if we took the TCU stud, Johnston. However, that would still raise the question of how to get out of Hopkins deal and if we should pay Brown. So, does that change anything except give us maybe the best WR corp in the league and put fear into every team we play. I can dream up an awesome scenario with that possible WR lineup along with the threat of a running QB. Yikes!
If you draft the TCU kid you trade hop imo. And recent seasons have proven that if you draft a stud wr who is really a stud they do produce early in their careers. Four will likely have 800+ yards this year, 2 of which likely eclipse 1,000.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
If you draft the TCU kid you trade hop imo. And recent seasons have proven that if you draft a stud wr who is really a stud they do produce early in their careers. Four will likely have 800+ yards this year, 2 of which likely eclipse 1,000.
As productive as Hopkins still can be, I can warm up to the idea of pairing a young stud wide receiver with Hollywood Brown the two could be together for several years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard