Chris Paul for Oubre/Rubio/Jerome?

• Yes I would make the trade

• No I would not make the trade

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think CP3 needs to make decisions based on salary anymore. He's been in the league and paid well for 16 years. He will get a HUGE pension from the NBA when he retires. And has endorsements. If Phoenix is his best shot at a ring he will stay. If he gets a ring THIS year who even cares wtf he does next year.

He doesn't need the cash but he is the president of the players association. So what he does is viewed by everyone in the league and he needs to be able to explain it, to a certain extent.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just give him a one-year extension at $40 mil. That would be two years $88 million. Reduces risk for Suns, gets him cash, keeps him in town. Let's him retire or play after another year if he feels like it.

If he is healthy enough to play for that third year, he will get the money. He would also not be locked in to the Suns so he could play for anyone in the league he wants to for his final year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he opts out then I highly doubt he'll demand a starting salary that's the same as what he just walked away from. By taking a little less next year then he'll expect to make that up in the long run. Also taking less next year makes it easier to add pieces around him to compete, like resigning Payne. So if he were to accept a deal that is about $35 million a year for 3 years, that pays him nicely, gives him $10 less next season but he makes up for that with the extra 2 years.

I was $44,211,146 as a base figure to use in starting calculations for a three year contract.

Paul is not going to leave that amount of money on the table without getting it back over years.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just give him a one-year extension at $40 mil. That would be two years $88 million. Reduces risk for Suns, gets him cash, keeps him in town. Let's him retire or play after another year if he feels like it.

If he is healthy enough to play for that third year, he will get the money. He would also not be locked in to the Suns so he could play for anyone in the league he wants to for his final year.

Paul would have to opt out of his $44,211,146 contract for next season to sign a new contract.

As I understand it, you are asking him to opt out and pay him $88 million over two seasons. I have no problem with it but I think he will get better offers.

Also I doubt if anyone is going to offer him a big free agent contract at 39 for the third year.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Paul would have to opt out of his $44,211,146 contract for next season to sign a new contract.

As I understand it, you are asking him to opt out and pay him $88 million over two seasons. I have no problem with it but I think he will get better offers.

Also I doubt if anyone is going to offer him a big free agent contract at 39 for the third year.
Supposedly he is wanting to opt out of one year at 44 mil and sign 3 years for $100 mil.

I say let him opt out of one year at $44 mill and sign for 2 years at $84 mil. He leaves one year and $16 mil on the table, but he makes more in the first two years. So if he wants to refitre and doesn't feel like playing anymore, he is ahead. If he wants to play for that third year, he will get $16 or more somewhere AND he gets to play wherever he wants. Best of all worlds for everyone.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Supposedly he is wanting to opt out of one year at 44 mil and sign 3 years for $100 mil.

I say let him opt out of one year at $44 mill and sign for 2 years at $84 mil. He leaves one year and $16 mil on the table, but he makes more in the first two years. So if he wants to refitre and doesn't feel like playing anymore, he is ahead. If he wants to play for that third year, he will get $16 or more somewhere AND he gets to play wherever he wants. Best of all worlds for everyone.

This is why if I were Paul I'd want a three year contract paying him more with the third year being a player option.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he opts out then I highly doubt he'll demand a starting salary that's the same as what he just walked away from. By taking a little less next year then he'll expect to make that up in the long run. Also taking less next year makes it easier to add pieces around him to compete, like resigning Payne. So if he were to accept a deal that is about $35 million a year for 3 years, that pays him nicely, gives him $10 less next season but he makes up for that with the extra 2 years.

oh he’s gonna take less lol oh ok.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you think the president of the players union is going to opt out and take less?

How many more times to do I have to say it? He'll make up whatever he loses this year in the long run. He's not going to get $44 million this next season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
How many more times to do I have to say it? He'll make up whatever he loses this year in the long run. He's not going to get $44 million this next season.
Exactly. He’s opting out for a longer contract that will guarantee him more $$ overall over the span of the contract.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

then that’s not taking less money

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this was posted earlier. Chris Paul hasn't even seen the report he was opting out.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Have you raided @mjb21aztd 's stash? I've been pretty straight forward that he's opting out for a long term deal and you want to quibble over whether he's taking a paycut next season.

I have no idea what’s hard to understand for you.

he wants more money either up front or long term but make no mistake he ain’t giving anybody a discount.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think this was posted earlier. Chris Paul hasn't even seen the report he was opting out.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Interesting it hit the news just before game 6. It’s almost like some sports people are Lakers fans and tried to created a distraction.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting it hit the news just before game 6. It’s almost like some sports people are Lakers fans and tried to created a distraction.

It seems like when someone in the media puts a story out like this everyone follows whether there is substance or not.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That last Denver game changed my mind. Give Paul a longer contract even if it cost Phoenix Mikal.

I'm convinced Robert Sarver will do everything he can to keep the Suns core players together.

If need be, the Suns can give Chris Paul extra seasons and spread out the money.