CP3 Rumored Trade

Chris Paul for Oubre/Rubio/Jerome?

• Yes I would make the trade

• No I would not make the trade

Results are only viewable after voting.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
This is not hindsight. If you don't know Chris Paul's game you probably were one of those getting off on Bender and Chriss, preferred Josh Jackson over Fox and to boot probably celebrated when Lon and Foamy signed Hedo Turekywhatever for millions. Or maybe you like Oubre's Hawt eyes? It's cool, he is hot bros, this is a new woke era.

I had this discussion with my brother when Paul signed, he said "CP3 won't touch Rubio." I was always thinking this guy will get us to the 5th seed, I never thought 1 game back of the first. About 2 month ago he said, damn I look like a fool, I had never really paid attention to Paul.

Let's just let the fans who look foolish get a pass. They haven't seen a real team in 10 years, they bought into Len, Bender, Okobo, Chriss, Jackson. It's a new learning curve for them. For those who love to rock we forgive you! Go Suns.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is not hindsight. If you don't know Chris Paul's game you probably were one of those getting off on Bender and Chriss, preferred Josh Jackson over Fox and to boot probably celebrated when Lon and Foamy signed Hedo Turekywhatever for millions. Or maybe you like Oubre's Hawt eyes? It's cool, he is hot bros, this is a new woke era.

I had this discussion with my brother when Paul signed, he said "CP3 won't touch Rubio." I was always thinking this guy will get us to the 5th seed, I never thought 1 game back of the first. About 2 month ago he said, damn I look like a fool, I had never really paid attention to Paul.

Let's just let the fans who look foolish get a pass. They haven't seen a real team in 10 years, they bought into Len, Bender, Okobo, Chriss, Jackson. It's a new learning curve for them. For those who love to rock we forgive you! Go Suns.

So where were you when all this was going down? Until lately I couldn't find any posts from you since July of 2018.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You seemed to support Jackson over Fox...

Actually it was Euro Len over Euro Yanis. RMD is a Boston guy, he is looking for thick white dudes that lumber down the court.

Jackson was a no brainier at 4. All of Phoenix could figure out that was the best pick that high.

I'm not sure why posters like you show up and claim you were so right about moves that were made, or should have been made, so long after the fact. Why show up and claim to have known the correct decisions all along when its easily provable that you weren't right or weren't present previously? Obviously saying you were right is important to you or you wouldn't be doing it now.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That's probably cause non Suns fans don't know anything about us. Most people probably assume we just had a fluke season.
I can attest to that anecdotally. I have two friends that are big hoops fans. One a New Yorker and one a Dallas guy. The new Yorker is a hoops junkie so he respects what we did, but can’t figure out how we did it. He acknowledges our sum is superior to our parts. The Dallas guy says he’s not afraid of us. Again, I can understand that just looking at our roster and our history. But it really speaks to a lack of knowledge on what we became this season.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I can attest to that anecdotally. I have two friends that are big hoops fans. One a New Yorker and one a Dallas guy. The new Yorker is a hoops junkie so he respects what we did, but can’t figure out how we did it. He acknowledges our sum is superior to our parts. The Dallas guy says he’s not afraid of us. Again, I can understand that just looking at our roster and our history. But it really speaks to a lack of knowledge on what we became this season.

Dallas has such a trash roster.

Any Dallas fan shouldn't act like that.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I am enjoying this while I can. No matter how much of a freak he is he can't escape time. Typically players like Paul fall off a cliff and fast. I don't know how long he has but I hope he stays with the Suns until that time. His leadership on this team has been MVP like.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Paul. His impact is nothing short of hall of fame material. The Suns are going to have to make a decision. Do you roll the dice with Paul and give him a multi-year or do you take a chance on someone younger? However, who would that be? CP3 averages almost 9 assists per game. That is not some minor thing in terms of how this team is built.

The next closest free agent to that is Lowry at 7.3. The rest on the unrestricted list is a huge drop off from 9 assists. This team needs a floor general verses a shoot first guy IMO. Outside of a trade that will fit in our cap space? Gambling with Paul might be our best option.

Mark my words. If the Suns don't resign Paul and go with a shoot first guard? It won't be the same.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry can’t give him that huge multi year deal he’s looking for we are going to have to pay young guys soon(Ayton/Bridges) even Cam Payne deserves to get paid.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry can’t give him that huge multi year deal he’s looking for we are going to have to pay young guys soon(Ayton/Bridges) even Cam Payne deserves to get paid.

That.makes sense, lets pay everyone but the guy who was the true difference make that elevated this team from lottery bound to contender.

I'm not saying Paul is worth the max but paying him somewhere around 100 million for 3 years is reasonable.

Was it really worth it to trade for him just to let him walk after 1 season?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes you can. If you want to win a title and I thought that was the goal? Not to say he will but if he is your best option going into the next couple seasons? You have to. What good is signing a young guy if he puts you several years out if you are trying to win now? This team right now is built to win right now. In a few years there will be many new pieces. I say do it.

If not, who else are you going to get? It's easy to say don't do it if you don't have a back up plan. Outside of Lowry as an unrestricted who could fill the role? Plus, there is no guarantee he will sign here anyway. The Suns don't exactly have a good track record attracting FAs.

If I am the Suns I run hard at Lowry and Paul. If you get Lowry great but you better pursue Paul just as hard.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That.makes sense, lets pay everyone but the guy who was the true difference make that elevated this team from lottery bound to contender.

I'm not saying Paul is worth the max but paying him somewhere around 100 million for 3 years is reasonable.

Was it really worth it to trade for him just to let him walk after 1 season?

I keep playing with the math to better understand and explain how one gets to 3 years at about $100 million.

The Suns were willing to pay Chris Paul $44,211,146 for next season so it comes down to what are they willing to pay him for two additional seasons of a three year contract so he gets his money back.

If Paul opts out he is already leaving $44,211,146 on the table.

It comes to about $28 million a season for 2 more seasons.

The math looks like $44,211,146 + approx. $28 million + $28 = about $100 million over 3 years.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't think CP3 needs to make decisions based on salary anymore. He's been in the league and paid well for 16 years. He will get a HUGE pension from the NBA when he retires. And has endorsements. If Phoenix is his best shot at a ring he will stay. If he gets a ring THIS year who even cares wtf he does next year.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I keep playing with the math to better understand and explain how one gets to 3 years at about $100 million.

The Suns were willing to pay Chris Paul $44,211,146 for next season so it comes down to what are they willing to pay him for two additional seasons of a three year contract so he gets his money back.

If Paul opts out he is already leaving $44,211,146 on the table.

It comes to about $28 million a season for 2 more seasons.

The math looks like $44,211,146 + approx. $28 million + $28 = about $100 million over 3 years.

If he opts out then I highly doubt he'll demand a starting salary that's the same as what he just walked away from. By taking a little less next year then he'll expect to make that up in the long run. Also taking less next year makes it easier to add pieces around him to compete, like resigning Payne. So if he were to accept a deal that is about $35 million a year for 3 years, that pays him nicely, gives him $10 less next season but he makes up for that with the extra 2 years.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think CP3 needs to make decisions based on salary anymore. He's been in the league and paid well for 16 years. He will get a HUGE pension from the NBA when he retires. And has endorsements. If Phoenix is his best shot at a ring he will stay. If he gets a ring THIS year who even cares wtf he does next year.
He's the players union pres. He is almost obligated to get the best financial deal he can. It's kinda like selling your house too cheap to your kids and making your neighbors mad because the comps go down.

Just did that last fall. Yikes. There ya go kids. I sold it to you $30 under market and now your value has jumped $90k. There's your inheritance. I am going to buy me a new truck.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson