• No I would not make the trade

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
JerkFace

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
why are we writing oubre off? Dude actually wants to be here, or at least did want to be here before we/front office toss his name around in trades like garbage all the time.
If he was on a multi year contract for a reasonable amount I would love to keep Oubre. He is probably my second favorite Sun behind Booker. The problem is that he is going to want to be PAID at the end of next season. Except for the true superstars I am very resistant to pay big money to wing players because the production is just too easy to replicate (or at least come close to) with much less expensive players. With that being said, I would have no real problem keeping him for the year because I love what he brings to the Suns both on and off the court, but I also understand the desire to cash in on his value.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
why are we writing oubre off? Dude actually wants to be here, or at least did want to be here before we/front office toss his name around in trades like garbage all the time.
It's business. You have to do what you have to do. Oubre is a good player, and I like him, but on this team, he's expendable.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Oubre has much more trade value than TJ Warren who should have minimally been worth a first round pick. The Suns literally gave the Pacers an early second round pick to trade him. They seem ready to devalue Oubre the same way.

Kelly Oubre only costs $14,375,000 for one season while Chris Paul costs 85,569,960 for two seasons.

And I thought Brandon Knight's 5 years, $70 million contract was bad.

warren definitely should have gotten more as I believe had three years left on his VERY AFFORDABLE deal. Oubre is on a one year deal. Unless it’s a team looking for one last piece to nudge it over the line, who gives up a first round pick for a rental player? And those that would for one year are likely contenders so at best you get like a late first rounder?

I think some are overvaluing Oubre purely based on his okay... which IS pretty rock solid and improving. But you can’t deny his circumstances here with only one year left on his deal. It’s why I didn’t like the two year deal in the first place. It’s a limbo contract. And that’s the position from which we’d be trying to deal him in now.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's business. You have to do what you have to do. Oubre is a good player, and I like him, but on this team, he's expendable.

And therein lies the problem with getting value for value. James Jones has put himself, yet again in a weak negotiating trade position here because a) Oubre is on a year deal and b) because other teams know he’s expendable. Which is why I think this deal actually works for both sides.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And therein lies the problem with getting value for value. James Jones has put himself, yet again in a weak negotiating trade position here because a) Oubre is on a year deal and b) because other teams know he’s expendable. Which is why I think this deal actually works for both sides.
You have a point there. But let's face it, even with that contract, getting Chris Paul is a damn sight better than selling Oubre for a 2nd rounder and cash, that's for sure.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
warren definitely should have gotten more as I believe had three years left on his VERY AFFORDABLE deal. Oubre is on a one year deal. Unless it’s a team looking for one last piece to nudge it over the line, who gives up a first round pick for a rental player? And those that would for one year are likely contenders so at best you get like a late first rounder?

I think some are overvaluing Oubre purely based on his okay... which IS pretty rock solid and improving. But you can’t deny his circumstances here with only one year left on his deal. It’s why I didn’t like the two year deal in the first place. It’s a limbo contract. And that’s the position from which we’d be trying to deal him in now.

Indeed. The Suns put themselves in this situation when they signed Oubre to only a two year contract. I think most of us realized at the time it would come back to haunt us. IMO, Oubre is a better and younger player than Warren.

Any team that wants to keep Oubre should offer a first round pick. If not the Suns should keep him. Who knows what can happen during the course of a season. Maybe the Suns decide to keep him.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Yeah, this is my take, too. Paul may not be the most ideal pickup, but I hesitate to believe there is any better deal out there for Oubre.

And it's very likely that if the Suns don't make some kind of deal to move Oubre soon, they will either end up getting pennies for the dollar on him or just letting him walk with no return at all.

The reality is that we have lacked a savvy front office here forever, and the latest incarnation isn't looking any smarter, so far.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The threshold for Oubre isn't whether he's going to be a star at some point, but whether he has long-term value. He does. If the Suns piss him away like they do with so many other mid-tier assets, they're going to regret it.

What's the point of being "relevant" for two years when it prevents the team from growing? Now we're looking at Summer 2022 with a team that has had a couple of first-round playoff exits, hasn't added any new pieces, and has to recreate its identity around players who just spent the last two years getting led around by their grandfather.

This trade is beyond stupid for the Suns.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is another scenario. Oubre blossoms into the third best player on the team and the Suns pay to keep him when his contract expires. At least until recently, Oubre was happy to be a Sun.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This franchise somehow turned Ariza's corpse into Kelly Oubre after a bungled trade fell through where we weren't even getting Oubre.

They paid Indiana to take an extremely productive player in Warren.

I can't help but think a trade for Chris Paul will have us holding the bag.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The threshold for Oubre isn't whether he's going to be a star at some point, but whether he has long-term value. He does. If the Suns piss him away like they do with so many other mid-tier assets, they're going to regret it.

What's the point of being "relevant" for two years when it prevents the team from growing? Now we're looking at Summer 2022 with a team that has had a couple of first-round playoff exits, hasn't added any new pieces, and has to recreate its identity around players who just spent the last two years getting led around by their grandfather.

I think what most of us in favor of this trade are thinking is that we use the 10th pick on a PG who can learn from Paul and then be ready to take over once Paul is gone and Booker/Ayton are both rocking and rolling. And that if we miss the playoffs again, our Laker T-Shirt wearing Superstar will start making life miserable for us.

If we have to throw the 10th pick in, I definitely swing against this trade.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think what most of us in favor of this trade are thinking is that we use the 10th pick on a PG who can learn from Paul and then be ready to take over once Paul is gone

I don't think the presence of Paul increases the value of the 10th pick much. It's a low lottery pick in a weak draft. Having Paul as a mentor will make a difference only if the pick has starter-level talent, which he most likely won't.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the presence of Paul increases the value of the 10th pick much. It's a low lottery pick in a weak draft. Having Paul as a mentor will make a difference only if the pick has starter-level talent, which he most likely won't.

from what I’ve been reading the draft is weak at the top for superstar talent but pretty deep with solid players after.

I don’t know. I also think some of you guys are writing Paul off already when we’re seeing guys play longer and longer and being successful at older ages. Dwyane Wade was still a decent player into his twilight. Dirk still had game at age 35/36. LeBron is still the best player in the game.

bottom line for me? I think we lose Oubre for literally nothing after this season. Then we’re probably looking at a season where we barely miss the playoffs next year, lose one of Booker’s boys and and then are...

meh... I don’t care enough about any of this to really argue. And I’ll be surprised if it actually happens anyway.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
from what I’ve been reading the draft is weak at the top for superstar talent but pretty deep with solid players after.

I don’t know. I also think some of you guys are writing Paul off already when we’re seeing guys play longer and longer and being successful at older ages. Dwyane Wade was still a decent player into his twilight. Dirk still had game at age 35/36. LeBron is still the best player in the game.

bottom line for me? I think we lose Oubre for literally nothing after this season. Then we’re probably looking at a season where we barely miss the playoffs next year, lose one of Booker’s boys and and then are...

meh... I don’t care enough about any of this to really argue. And I’ll be surprised if it actually happens anyway.

I wouldn't write him off, I just wouldn't take the gamble that last year was anything but an anomaly.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd just hate to lose Ubre, he's such a sparkplug

I think Oubre's impact on the court was wildly inconsistent. On offense he was our most selfish player, he would give away about 1 in 4 possessions while he was on the court by going 1 vs 5, on defense he had terrible positioning, repeatedly getting burned by guys off the ball. However, teams need an "irrational" confidence guy, Oubre was certainly that. He also is clearly loved in the locker-room.

I think if we were trading him simply to move up in the draft it would be a really rough blow to the moral of the team, but trading him for a perennial all star is a different story.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Oubre's impact on the court was wildly inconsistent. On offense he was our most selfish player, he would give away about 1 in 4 possessions while he was on the court by going 1 vs 5, on defense he had terrible positioning, repeatedly getting burned by guys off the ball. However, teams need an "irrational" confidence guy, Oubre was certainly that. He also is clearly loved in the locker-room.

I think if we were trading him simply to move up in the draft it would be a really rough blow to the moral of the team, but trading him for a perennial all star is a different story.

Oubre was also in a bad spot when playing against an actual pf or center.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Wrong on all counts.

Firstly, the Suns’ ceiling with Chris Paul + whoever they can get with 18mm cap space + MLE is very much a team that could compete for a title. Miami and Denver were on the cusp of winning a title this year: are they really that far from the Suns’ with Paul/Jerami Grant/Augustin?

Secondly, the question isn’t whether Oubre has value (he does, marginally); it’s whether he has anything close to the value of Paul over the next two seasons. He doesn’t. Anyone who thinks so is just wrong. 30 GMs would agree with Paul’s surplus value being higher (even substantially higher) than Oubre. Who cares if Oubre has more marginal value 3-5 years from now? By that time Booker may have grown too disenchanted to want to stay.

Thirdly, how can you say that playoff experience prevents the team from growing? The bubble was the closest thing to playoffs this team has seen, and, without Oubre, I saw them grow quite a bit!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I wouldn't write him off, I just wouldn't take the gamble that last year was anything but an anomaly.
He was remarkedly consistent last year and was the clear number 1 option, even with Shai's breakout. Imagine that kind of talent on a team where he doesn't need to do everything. Even at age 36.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have access to the whole ESPN story but let's not forget when talking about trading Oubre what he brought to the team.

Note the new "The Valley" jersey on Ayton. See link below.

From Zach Lowe ESPN Senior Writer:

"Being traded was such a transitional moment for me," Oubre, 24, told ESPN this week. "I came to a place where I had a crowd of young guys. We meshed and vibed out. This group is so fun compared to other groups I've been with because of the youth and the energy."

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/st...enix-suns-got-new-black-valley-jerseys-wanted

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't have access to the whole ESPN story by let's not forget when talking about trading Oubre what he brought to the team.

Note the new "The Valley" jersey on Ayton. See link below.

From Zach Lowe ESPN Senior Writer:

"Being traded was such a transitional moment for me," Oubre, 24, told ESPN this week. "I came to a place where I had a crowd of young guys. We meshed and vibed out. This group is so fun compared to other groups I've been with because of the youth and the energy."

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/st...enix-suns-got-new-black-valley-jerseys-wanted

Yeah they still sucked.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson