Chris Paul for Oubre/Rubio/Jerome?

• Yes I would make the trade

• No I would not make the trade

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what did he become? You don’t pay a player a ton of money just cause you think he’s a good guy.

Come on. You know Oubre is more than a good guy. He is a good player as well and he is only 24 so it stands he will only get better.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Cmon Eric that’s not an accurate description. They developed three players at the wing at the same time so they had some redundancy. They used him to upgrade a position.

I know that the coaching staff and/or front office were pushing the narrative that Oubre had fallen behind both Johnson and Bridges on the depth chart, but that felt like posturing to me. Oubre is the most dynamic of the three and could easily have continued to command 25 minutes per game. I think that Johnson is seriously overrated, and Bridges is a liability on offense.

Having bench guys who could be starters on other teams, or who can handle a starting role when someone gets hurt or is ineffective, is a good thing, but this board seems to think that Oubre not being a "star" means that there was no place for him on the roster.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Come on. You know Oubre is more than a good guy. He is a good player as well and he is only 24 so it stands he will only get better.

he’s been in the league 6 years he’s pretty much who he is. He’s an energy guy who doesn’t pass and is inconsistent on offense.

he’s a nice role player and there is nothing wrong with that, but guys on this board want to make him out to be something more. Like all of a sudden in his 7th or 8th year he’s going to develop into a star and that pretty much doesn’t happen. It’s unheard of.

this is the second time in his career he’s be traded. He’s a nice player but is he going to make or break a team? No

and OKC is probably going to flip him for more draft picks at the deadline

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I know that the coaching staff and/or front office were pushing the narrative that Oubre had fallen behind both Johnson and Bridges on the depth chart, but that felt like posturing to me. Oubre is the most dynamic of the three and could easily have continued to command 25 minutes per game. I think that Johnson is seriously overrated, and Bridges is a liability on offense.

Having bench guys who could be starters on other teams, or who can handle a starting role when someone gets hurt or is ineffective, is a good thing, but this board seems to think that Oubre not being a "star" means that there was no place for him on the roster.
The only narrative I saw was that Bridges had moved past him and he had.

Yes Oubre is a flashy player and on a good day can do a lot to help you win, but he has glaring flaws to his game that can also hurt his team.

He tends to gamble too much on defense, never looks to pass once he starts going to the rim and is a streaky shooter at best.

Overall he is about a net neutral on the floor and thus it won’t really hurt much to lose him.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

you can’t pay him the money he wants that’s why he’s gone.

You have to weight that out. Bridges is more valuable than Oubre period it’s not up for debate. Bridges is already plays all NBA caliber defense while Oubre doesn’t really do anything all NBA worthy.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

I get what you are saying. Howeverf, we have a chance to upgrade at PG, and that was part of the cost.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he’s been in the league 6 years he’s pretty much who he is. He’s an energy guy who doesn’t pass and is inconsistent on offense.

he’s a nice role player and there is nothing wrong with that, but guys on this board want to make him out to be something more. Like all of a sudden in his 7th or 8th year he’s going to develop into a star and that pretty much doesn’t happen. It’s unheard of.

this is the second time in his career he’s be traded. He’s a nice player but is he going to make or break a team? No

and OKC is probably going to flip him for more draft picks at the deadline

My disagreement about Oubre was in your reference: "You don’t pay a player a ton of money just cause you think he’s a good guy."

Good guys don't get flipped for more more draft picks or an integral piece in a trade for Chris Paul.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just don’t get why people on both sides of this issue need to over exaggerate to make their point.

Oubre was a good, high energy player, who unfortunately is probably going to want more money than we will want and should want to pay him. He’s also taken steps forward as a player the last two years and does have room to grow, so we’re taking a bit of a risk.

at the same time, the Suns have two guys at his position who bring good qualities to that position and are younger and cheaper, so they used Oubre to upgrade another position.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Just don’t get why people on both sides of this issue need to over exaggerate to make their point.

Oubre was a good, high energy player, who unfortunately is probably going to want more money than we will want and should want to pay him.

and the Suns have two guys at his position who bring good qualities to that position and are younger and cheaper, so they used Oubre to upgrade another position.
Perfectly said! Traded for a HOF player at a position, an upgrade at PG. Used an asset we may have traded anyway.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If you discount Oubre because of his contract, we essentially got Chris Paul for Ricky Rubio and a 2022 1st rounder. I'd say that's not too bad.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Oubre was more of a liability on offense than Mikal IMO (although I am not sure I would use the word "liability" for either of them). Mikal scores in the flow without dominating the ball. Oubre tended to dominate the ball when he touched it. Its fine if you are the 1-3 option on your team, but Oubre would be #4 at the very highest.

I don't see Cam as better than Oubre, but Cam has become very effective and does not dominate the ball either.

In the end, Oubre functions better as a #2 or #3 option on a team, but with Paul, Book, and Ayton, we have better options. Paul changes the dynamic. Rubio was more of a floor general and not a 1-3 option for scoring.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Oubre was a good, high energy player, who unfortunately is probably going to want more money than we will want and should want to pay him. He’s also taken steps forward as a player the last two years and does have room to grow, so we’re taking a bit of a risk.

at the same time, the Suns have two guys at his position who bring good qualities to that position and are younger and cheaper, so they used Oubre to upgrade another position.

That's how I see it as well. I don't think he was going to be back once his current contract expires, so the Suns did what they could to not lose him for nothing.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
That's how I see it as well. I don't think he was going to be back once his current contract expires, so the Suns did what they could to not lose him for nothing.

It's moot now, but what was the evidence that Oubre and the Suns weren't going to be able to come to contract terms? I'm sure Oubre would "want" more than whatever the Suns were willing to pay, but he'd have to find someone willing to give it to him. I agree with the consensus that he's a 7th or 8th man on a good team and should rarely be higher than the 3rd option on offense. So who's going to pay $20 million a year for that?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It's moot now, but what was the evidence that Oubre and the Suns weren't going to be able to come to contract terms? I'm sure Oubre would "want" more than whatever the Suns were willing to pay, but he'd have to find someone willing to give it to him. I agree with the consensus that he's a 7th or 8th man on a good team and should rarely be higher than the 3rd option on offense. So who's going to pay $20 million a year for that?
The fact that they traded him and Jones then alluded to the idea that he was going to cost more than they would want to pay.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you discount Oubre because of his contract, we essentially got Chris Paul for Ricky Rubio and a 2022 1st rounder. I'd say that's not too bad.

If you discount Oubre the trade doesn't get done.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Right, so in other words, the evidence was constructed after the fact in order to justify the trade.
Or that just so happens to be the reason that he was traded. I think I will just take him at his word over making some assumption that it must be something else.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Or that just so happens to be the reason that he was traded. I think I will just take him at his word over making some assumption that it must be something else.

Fair enough, but let's keep an eye on what Oubre's next contract ends up being and what impact he's making in 2022 and beyond. My guess is that he'll be the kind of player the Suns wish they had for the price.

Reactions: Rab

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough, but let's keep an eye on what Oubre's next contract ends up being and what impact he's making in 2022 and beyond. My guess is that he'll be the kind of player the Suns wish they had for the price.

This is my guess as well.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We will never know but it's no longer relevant.
That's true, but I find it interesting that you think there might have been some possibility of keeping him beyond next year. I think the writing has been on the wall for a while.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's true, but I find it interesting that you think there might have been some possibility of keeping him beyond next year. I think the writing has been on the wall for a while.
I think there was no chance of keeping him beyond next year unless we moved either Mikal or Cam. It's like planting a garden. You plant more seeds than you need, but in the end not all of the plants can prosper together. You have to thin a bit.

Keeping Mikal is a no brainer. Mikal over Oubre IMO every day. Mikal has a more complete game. So now, do you keep Mikal and Oubre or Mikal and Cam? The first option is eventually going to cost a lot of money. Oubre is going to command starter pay but will come off the bench. He probably also would not be pleased with that, so even if we WANTED to pay him, he might not want to stay. The Oubre part of this trade is just fine with me.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I love the trade. Oubre went from being a nice surprise to a guy who will probably be vastly overpaid real soon.

I some people are forgetting that the best string of basketball the Suns have played in over 5 years was WITHOUT Kelly Oubre.

What I like about this trade is that CP3 can hit open shots and can play off the ball. The only part I don't like is giving up the 1st round pick?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I love the trade. Oubre went from being a nice surprise to a guy who will probably be vastly overpaid real soon.

I some people are forgetting that the best string of basketball the Suns have played in over 5 years was WITHOUT Kelly Oubre.

What I like about this trade is that CP3 can hit open shots and can play off the ball. The only part I don't like is giving up the 1st round pick?
Oubre is possibly a better all around player than Mikal and definitely than Cam, but they both play seamlessly within the offense and Oubre really doesn't.

My guess is that with Paul and Booker mostly dominating the ball they would have preferred either Mikal or Cam (or both) on the floor with them than Oubre and that made him expendable.