Coyotes to pick third in draft

Arby

Rookie
Reaction score
Even without playing, the Coyotes luck still sucks.

With the Blackhawks winning the lottery it pushed the Flyers and Coyotes down to the 2nd and 3rd pick.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phoenix to pick third
Coyotes will make highest selection since moving to Arizona

David Vest
The Arizona Republic
Apr. 10, 2007 10:33 AM
The NHL held its draft lottery this morning, and the Phoenix Coyotes, who were in line to pick second based on their record, ended up with the third overall pick.

The Chicago Blackhawks, who were slotted to pick fifth overall based on their record, actually nabbed the top overall pick by virtue of the lottery, while the Philadelphia Flyers will go second, dropping the Coyotes to third.

Nonetheless, this will be the highest draft position for the Coyotes since moving to Arizona.

The NHL draft is June 22-23 in Columbus.

By most estimations, there is no clear-cut No. 1 pick this year.

The results of the Draft Drawing, and the order of selection for the first 14 picks of the 2007 Entry Draft, are as follows:

1. Chicago Blackhawks
2. Philadelphia Flyers
3. Phoenix Coyotes
4. Los Angeles Kings
5. Washington Capitals
6. Edmonton Oilers
7. Columbus Blue Jackets
8. Boston Bruins
9. St. Louis Blues
10. Florida Panthers
11. Carolina Hurricanes
12. Montreal Canadiens
13. Toronto Maple Leafs
14. Colorado Avalanche

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
By most estimations, there is no clear-cut No. 1 pick this year.

That goes in contrast to the article in The Hockey News about a month ago that stated Angelo Esposito is the consensus #1 overall pick. I can tell you this, if he falls to the Coyotes at 3, or somehow the Yotes can swing a deal to get him, it'll be more than worth the while. That kid's going to be a star.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now the rankings are jumbled all across the board. International Scouting Services (probably the most trusted rankings) has Angelo Esposito ranked 11th, Red Line Report has him 8th, Dobber Hockey has him 6th, Central Scouting has him 1st out of all North American skaters, and he isn't ranked in the Mckeen's top 10. So obviously Esposito is really all over the map for a guy that three years ago was considered along with Phil Kessel to be a hockey prodigy at a level just below Crosby/Ovechkin. The typical Esposito report reads something like All-Star skills combined with a beer league work ethic. Whether or not that will wind up being true is for hockey history to decide but I don't see him going in the top three.

Philly (drafting #2) is supposedly interested in Kyle Turris (ISS #4, Mckeen's #2, Red Line #3, Dobber #9). Its sort of early for projections but I don't think he will drop to the third pick.

I'm certainly no scout but I am hopeful that Patrick Kane (ISS #2, Red Line #1, Mckeen's #1, Dobber #7) will still be available at the third pick, but he just may go first overall. He has great hands and superb skating ability, and can both score goals and set up others. He's a bit small even for his age so he probably won't step in right away, but I think he's a fairly safe bet to put up some strong numbers in the NHL one day.

There's another guy whose bio just screams Coyote pick, James van Riemsdyk (ISS #5, Mckeen's #6, Red Line #5, Dobber #8). He's a big, strong guy yet an excellent skater for his size and might be the best goal scorer in the draft. He comes from the US National Team Development Program (current Coyote Peter Mueller did as well), which Phoenix has tapped into often during the last few years. I wouldn't necessarily expect that this is the Coyotes pick at #3, but if he slips (or somebody else they really like slips) to the #8-12 range, I think the Coyotes will try their best to use trade up with the Dallas pick (#25, I believe). One way or another I don't believe they are going to stand pat with the Dallas first rounder.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/woodlief/2007-03-20-march_N.htm
http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=10631&hubname=
http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=30

Last edited:

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just so we can look at what the #3 pick typically brings, here are the last ten players to be drafted third, current team in parenthesis:

2006 Jonathan Toews, F (Chicago)
2005 Jack Johnson, D (LA)
2004 Cam Barker, D (Chicago)
2003 Nathan Horton, F (Florida)
2002 Jay Bouwmeetser, D (Florida)
2001 Alexandr Svitov, F (Columbus)
2000 Marian Gaborik, F (Minnesota)
1999 Henrik Sedin, F (Vancouver)
1998 Brad Stuart, D (Calgary)
1997 Olli Jokinen, F (Florida)

In that group there are 3 current top prospects (Toews, Johnson, Barker), 3 point per game level players (Gaborik, Sedin, Jokinen), 2 top four level defensemen (Bouwmeester, Stuart), 1 .75 point per game player (Horton, who had 31 goals this year), and 1 total bust (Svitov). Things are looking bright for the Coyotes to draft a very good player this June.

Last edited:

PHXSportsFan4

Time for baseball season.
Reaction score
Man, we can't buy some good luck. Hopefully whoever we end up taking at #3 will end up becoming a good solid player or even a star, because we need one.

trueherotillman

Registered
Reaction score
i'd love to have Kane as well, although I don't see that happening unless a trade is pulled off w/ Chicago

ndjmc

Do or Do not.
Reaction score
How about we trade the pick for Robert Horry, that guy can throw his weight around.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen