Cowboys and Aliens

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Considering your concerns here with believability: http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2469363&postcount=27

I'm shocked you even want to see this movie?

It's not a question of believability. I'm a big fan of the Hellboy franchise, for example. As I stated above it's a question of "willing suspension of disbelief".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief

I'm willing to "suspend my disbelief" that aliens visited this planet in the 19th century. That doesn't mean I am going to buy everything that the movie throws at me. If, say, Daniel Craig shot down an alien spacecraft with his six-shooter I would probably call BS.

As for Rise of the Apes, I'm willing to buy that humans in the movie created intelligent apes. What I'm not buying (judging by the trailer) is that a world population of about 400,000 apes, intelligent or not, could take over a planet of 6.9 billion humans.

Anything else I can clarify for you, just let me know.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering your concerns here with believability: http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2469363&postcount=27

I'm shocked you even want to see this movie?

It's not a question of believability. I'm a big fan of the Hellboy franchise, for example. As I stated above it's a question of "willing suspension of disbelief".

I'm willing to "suspend my disbelief" that aliens visited this planet in the 19th century. That doesn't mean I am going to buy everything that the movie throws at me. If, say, Daniel Craig shot down an alien spacecraft with his six-shooter I would probably call BS.

As for Rise of the Apes, I'm willing to buy that humans in the movie created intelligent apes. What I'm not buying (judging by the trailer) is that a world population of about 400,000 apes, intelligent or not, could take over a planet of 6.9 billion humans.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So your willing to suspend your disbelief when watching a trailer about the movie showing Daniel Craig jumping on top of an alien ship and taking it for a ride in the 1800's???

No offense but I just think your being hypocritical. The movie trailer clearly shows stuff that go way beyond "aliens just visiting in the 19 century" stuff that is off the chart in believability.

There all for entertainment and clearly not believable. It's a movie. Just take it for what it is. A summer action/entertainment extravaganza. :)

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There all for entertainment and clearly not believable. It's a movie. Just take it for what it is. A summer action/entertainment extravaganza. :)

Yuppers. I have too much crap going on in real life to worry if a movie is believeable. I like the escape value.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Yuppers. I have too much crap going on in real life to worry if a movie is believeable. I like the escape value.

Exactly. I dont require that everything I see in the movies is plausible or even possible. Mostly I just want the movie to be consistant. If the aliens are badass then have them be badass the whole movie, dont bring them in and show them to be this unstoppable technologically advance army that is completely taking over the earth and committing genocide on a mass level and then suddenly have them die when they catch a cold or get squirted with a supersoaker.

Plus sometimes I just wanna see Daniel Craig blow some stuff up. If lovin that is wrong I dont wanna be right! I cant wait for this movie.

Last edited:

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. I dont require that everything I see in the movies is plausible or even possible. Sometimes I just wanna see Daniel Craig blow some stuff up. If lovin that is wrong I dont wanna be right! I cant wait for this movie.

LOL. Love ya, Bert!

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will see this expecting a lot of things I have to overlook. The Apes movie, on the other hand, looks horrible and not at all worth seeing.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
So your willing to suspend your disbelief when watching a trailer about the movie showing Daniel Craig jumping on top of an alien ship and taking it for a ride in the 1800's???

No offense but I just think your being hypocritical. The movie trailer clearly shows stuff that go way beyond "aliens just visiting in the 19 century" stuff that is off the chart in believability.

How is that hypocritical? I already said I can suspend disbelief for a lot of movies, I just have limits. If you don't, fine. I guess if the apes flapped their arms and flew to the moon you could accept that, but I wouldn't.

We just have different tastes. It isn't necessary to call me out and start linking my posts from other threads.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Does that mean you liked Iron Man 2? I liked Iron Man but didn't care for the sequel. I have even higher hopes for Cowboys and Aliens - I'll be very disappointed if it's only worthy of Iron Man 2 comparisons.

Steve

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Does that mean you liked Iron Man 2? I liked Iron Man but didn't care for the sequel. I have even higher hopes for Cowboys and Aliens - I'll be very disappointed if it's only worthy of Iron Man 2 comparisons.

Steve

Iron Man 2 was an excellent film. I think people were disappointed because it actually had a plot, didn't have explosions every five seconds, and didn't have enough shaking camera shots.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Iron Man 2 was an excellent film. I think people were disappointed because it actually had a plot, didn't have explosions every five seconds, and didn't have enough shaking camera shots.

excellent? I don't know man. My problem was the plot was all over the place. the movie seemed more interested in setting up the avengers then telling it's own story... and Whiplash seemed to fall out of the movie for a really long time and the finale wasn't very satisfying IMO.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
excellent? I don't know man. My problem was the plot was all over the place. the movie seemed more interested in setting up the avengers then telling it's own story... and Whiplash seemed to fall out of the movie for a really long time and the finale wasn't very satisfying IMO.

This. Iron Man 2 is the second-most boring super hero movie I've seen, after Ang Lee's Hulk.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If I could sneak into Hollywood and force one change on those idiots it would be to stop that crap. I'm from a generation that still remembers what it's like to watch an action movie and NOT get a headache from it. But I still didn't care for Iron Man 2. Maybe I just had too much of a problem with Stark's personality in the movie, it didn't match with my expectations.

Steve

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kind of silly but very entertaining. Another one of your classic summer popcorn flicks.

Exceeded my low expectations for it.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kind of silly but very entertaining. Another one of your classic summer popcorn flicks.

Exceeded my low expectations for it.

I enjoyed it thats for sure! We knew it was gonna be a little silly just by title alone!

IMO a perfect summer movie.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed it thats for sure! We knew it was gonna be a little silly just by title alone!

IMO a perfect summer movie.

Well that seals it. I can't watch this movie if it is entertaining.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I just saw it.

What can I say, I enjoyed it very much! There were Cowboys, there were Aliens, they mixed the two well, Daniel Craig blew some stuff up, Harrison Ford was a hardass old cowboy, Olivia Wilde was super hot! What more could a man ask for from a movie? :)

Seriously I liked it and I really enjoyed all the little references to old school westerns which, ofcourse you wouldn't get if you never saw an old school western. But I enjoyed stuff like Daniel Craig jumping from the horse to the ship (the old Saddle to Stagecoach bit) the feisty, inexplicably single hot girl in town for the hero to fall for! The Mexican Standoff with the old gang, the drunken useless possey members, the scene in the bar... All little tributes to old John Wayne, Roy Rodgers, Gary Cooper etc... so those had me laughing throughout the film.

Overall nto the best film of the summer, but I was entertained, it was a fun movie.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked it but I guess I expected a bit more from some of the buildup. To be fair, we don't see a ton of movies in the theater my GF prefers to wait and watch at home unless it's like Avatar or something we're watching on the bigscreen is important.

I also think there's just so much alien stuff around right now on tv, DVD etc that it's hard to make a good alien movie that surprises. I didn't particularly like the aliens in this movie although I did like the ships and the lassoing people was kind of interesting.

Good movie but I'm glad I didn't have to go to a ton of trouble to get tickets or get in.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont bring them in and show them to be this unstoppable technologically advance army that is completely taking over the earth and committing genocide on a mass level and then suddenly have them die when they catch a cold or get squirted with a supersoaker. .

I would say that would be believable (something in our environment destroying them that their bodies have never experienced, or a human virus killing them...a la the native americans almost completely wiped out by european diseases).

What isn't so believable? That alien technology would be so compatible with ours that a computer virus delivered via disc could a) interface with their systems in the first place and b) be built on some universal code structure that it would take down all their ships hovering over all the major world cities. Will Smith involved or not.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What isn't so believable? That alien technology would be so compatible with ours that a computer virus delivered via disc could a) interface with their systems in the first place and b) be built on some universal code structure that it would take down all their ships hovering over all the major world cities. Will Smith involved or not.

I hate that movie with a passion. Horrible horrible movie.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn