Courtney Upshaw

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Could be...

There will be 3/4 players with 90+ Scout rating available at 13.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I like Upshaw a great deal

he wouldnt be the speedy, Von Miller kind of pass rusher --- rather a guy like Cliff Avril -- powerful with enough movement skills to present a real problem.

The nice thing about Upshaw is that he is super physical and would nicely set the edge in the run defense -- no soft corners.

I also see him as having a "high floor" -- he would be a safe pick and would be no worse than a solid defensive player even if he doesnt turn out to be a star.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I think we already have a similar player in acho. Although I think brown will be better I would rather have wiley as our 13th pick.

PaulW

Veteran
Reaction score
As I have stated previously Upshaw would be an excellent piac at 13, but I have moved toward Nick Perry because he is a speed rusher at 6'3", 255-260lbs. He runs a 4.6 40 and has tremendous upside as well as being good at pass coverage. I believe that Perry is the best pick at 13 to continue the development of a top 5 defense.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Upshaw, DeCastro, Reiff or Kuechly are all fine with me. There's probably a 99% chance one of those guys will be available at #13. I really doubt we can screw this up. Since Steve Keim fully took over the draft 2 years ago we've had really impressive drafts.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Our #1 priority in this draft is to trade back get a 2nd round pick.

Our LT is in all likelyhood in the 2nd round. Without it, we are in a tough position. Say we take Reiff in the 1st, we still need a pass rusher. Can get one in the 2nd.

3rd round+, especially in this thin draft, dont usually produce difference makers.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Our #1 priority in this draft is to trade back get a 2nd round pick.

Our LT is in all likelyhood in the 2nd round. Without it, we are in a tough position. Say we take Reiff in the 1st, we still need a pass rusher. Can get one in the 2nd.

3rd round+, especially in this thin draft, dont usually produce difference makers.

I disagree. If there's a guy at #13 we like we should take him.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I disagree. If there's a guy at #13 we like we should take him.

Our current target is the Chargers at 18. 14-17 are the Cowboys, Eagles, Jets, Raiders.

We need a LT and OLB. Also WR or CB would work.

None of them share our needs. Eagles will go LB, but itll be Kuchely or Burfict, they dont need any more pass rushers. They sure as heck dont need a CB. Raiders will go with whoevers the tallest, fastest, strongest. Possibly Jeffry because of his size. Jets might take Richardson because LT isnt getting any younger and they cant rely on their QB anymore.

My point being, the guy we like at 13 will very probably be there at 18.

In addition, IMO, theres nobody outside of the top 10 who are 'must haves' at 13. Would I stay at 13 to take Reiff when I can get Mercilus at 18? No. Anyone we take at 18 will be just as good as whoever wouldve gone at 13, I guarantee it.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
If you're looking for a pass rusher, Upshaw isn't your guy. If you're looking for a high energy run support player, Upshaw's the perfect fit. He sets the edge well, doesn't miss many tackles, and he has a non-stop motor. I still think 13 is a little high for him, simply because he's not extremely versatile, but he's a low risk player, and should be pretty productive no matter where he goes. I would still prefer DeCastro, just because his upside is extremely high and he has the chance to be one of the best G's in the league.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Our current target is the Chargers at 18. 14-17 are the Cowboys, Eagles, Jets, Raiders.

We need a LT and OLB. Also WR or CB would work.

None of them share our needs. Eagles will go LB, but itll be Kuchely or Burfict, they dont need any more pass rushers. They sure as heck dont need a CB. Raiders will go with whoevers the tallest, fastest, strongest. Possibly Jeffry because of his size. Jets might take Richardson because LT isnt getting any younger and they cant rely on their QB anymore.

My point being, the guy we like at 13 will very probably be there at 18.

In addition, IMO, theres nobody outside of the top 10 who are 'must haves' at 13. Would I stay at 13 to take Reiff when I can get Mercilus at 18? No. Anyone we take at 18 will be just as good as whoever wouldve gone at 13, I guarantee it.

Plenty for me to disagree with. First of we need O-line. We could use help at OLB, SILB, CB, WR. I actually can't think of a position that we couldn't use the BPA approach with. So basically just a bit of semantics between your view and mine.

Eagles need LBers so that is a need we share. Assante Samuel won't be back so CB is definitely in play for them. Reid loves him some O-line as well so don't rule them out. Deshaun Jackson very well may be gone so WR could be in play as well.

Al Davis died so they may not simply target the biggest fastest etc anymore.

Jets have S. Green so while a RB is possible it's not a screaming need. A pass rusher for the 3-4 is a screaming need so they absolutely will be looking at one.

Cowboys need O-line, CB's so once again they need some of what we do.

I will join you guarentee that there will be a player available at 18 that's just as good as one at 13 because that happens in every draft. Thing is no one knows for sure who that player will be at 18.

Lastly who do the Charges want so bad at 13 they need to trade up for that they couldn't just sit at 18 and get just as good a player has you have guarenteed?

I'll all for trading back and getting a 2nd rd pick but your absolute statements are simply off base.

OP
OP
WildBB

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
If you're looking for a pass rusher, Upshaw isn't your guy. If you're looking for a high energy run support player, Upshaw's the perfect fit. He sets the edge well, doesn't miss many tackles, and he has a non-stop motor. I still think 13 is a little high for him, simply because he's not extremely versatile, but he's a low risk player, and should be pretty productive no matter where he goes. I would still prefer DeCastro, just because his upside is extremely high and he has the chance to be one of the best G's in the league.

I disagree in that I think Upshaw is a decent pass rusher. Not your typical speed guy, but he has the tenacity, hands and motor to be quite good. He had plenty of plays in the backfield in his career. He is an attacking player. He's built like a fire hydrant, your not going to move him out easily. Him on the left side and Acho on the right is a good young base set. Slide in Scho on obvious passing downs and we have a solid base of young studs on the front 7.

In the last two yrs. 14.5 and 17 tackles for loss, and a team leading 7 and 8.5 sacks. Against the best competition in the country, and being injured (ankle sprain) in 2010. He tore it up later as he got healthy. Kids going to be very good, solid player. Three down player.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=84728&draftyear=2012&genpos=OLB

DeCastro wouldn't make me grieve either. Think we can be special on D. And with R. Williams coming back stronger, we should be better over on that side as well with continued QB advancement.

Hopefully we can address some OL issues in FA with some QUALITY signings (2). Maybe Demitrius Bell and a more mobile OG than Lutui.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
For what we are looking to upgrade at with the OLB position, our best bets are Nick Perry at #13 or Vontaze Burfict if we traded down. I know Burfict is listed as a ILB, but if you look at his scouting reports it appears that he would be a better fit at OLB in a 3-4. He is comfortable playing in a two point stance which is a big plus. He plays with great leverage and strength at point of attack. He has suddenness and burst off the snap, and is a solid tackler. His real weakness is college has been his lack of composure and mis reads on the inside. At OLB he would have more simplified reads and this could decrease his level of frustration which hopefully would lead to better composure. Also helps that I think the Cardinals defense has the perfect mix of vets and youth to provide him the perfect developmental opportunity.

At this point if Cleveland or Cincy wanted to trade up to draft a player like Trent Richardson (good chance he might still be available) I think you have to consider moving down and grabbing additional picks (2nd and mid rounds) which is where the true value of this draft seems to be. Best case scenario would be to trade back with Cleveland and add at least their 2nd round pick and draft Vontaze Burfict at #22 and Zebrie Sanders or Kelechi Osemele or Donta Hightower at #37.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
As I have stated previously Upshaw would be an excellent piac at 13, but I have moved toward Nick Perry because he is a speed rusher at 6'3", 255-260lbs. He runs a 4.6 40 and has tremendous upside as well as being good at pass coverage. I believe that Perry is the best pick at 13 to continue the development of a top 5 defense.
I agree. When he works out, and if he works out well, he'll be a hot name come draft time. To carry 4.6 speed at 255 pounds is pretty impressive. I could see him being a top 10 pick if he runs that fast.

football karma

Reaction score
I agree. When he works out, and if he works out well, he'll be a hot name come draft time. To carry 4.6 speed at 255 pounds is pretty impressive. I could see him being a top 10 pick if he runs that fast.

if it comes down to Perry vs Upshaw-- then its just about your risk preference

as stated above, Upshaw is a safe pick. You will likely do no worse than him being a solid but not spectacular NFL starter (an example: think Calvin Pace today.)

Perry has more upside due to the speed factor, but also more downside. Not as physical as Upshaw and less proven both in terms of time in college and level of competition.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I will be pleasantly surprised if he runs a 4.6. If he does, and shows brust in positional drills, I may change my tune in regards to him.

football karma

Reaction score

the thing about Perry is this: if he does run a 4.6, it sure doesn't look like he plays at that speed.

For perspective: Von Miller ran a 4.56 at the combine. He looks that fast on tape.

Maybe its the black shoes USC wears.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Im going to start a thread later with my big board and ask you guys to do the same, but right now, Upshaw is probably in my top 7-9.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
the thing about Perry is this: if he does run a 4.6, it sure doesn't look like he plays at that speed.

For perspective: Von Miller ran a 4.56 at the combine. He looks that fast on tape.

Maybe its the black shoes USC wears.
I agree with the wait and see what he runs idea. Reported 40 times are rarely what the guy actually runs. Still, even if he runs a 4.65, that's pretty impressive.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I'll be more interested to see how fast he runs the 20 yard shuttle. Initial burst is essential for an OLB, and the 40 yard dash is somewhat over-rated in that sense.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
I'll be more interested to see how fast he runs the 20 yard shuttle. Initial burst is essential for an OLB, and the 40 yard dash is somewhat over-rated in that sense.
Agreed. The shuttle drill is probably the most important for a LB. I remember when Spielman was at the combine and he ran a slow 40 time but had one of, if not the fastest shuttle times.

OP
OP
WildBB

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
For what we are looking to upgrade at with the OLB position, our best bets are Nick Perry at #13 or Vontaze Burfict if we traded down. I know Burfict is listed as a ILB, but if you look at his scouting reports it appears that he would be a better fit at OLB in a 3-4. He is comfortable playing in a two point stance which is a big plus. He plays with great leverage and strength at point of attack. He has suddenness and burst off the snap, and is a solid tackler. His real weakness is college has been his lack of composure and mis reads on the inside. At OLB he would have more simplified reads and this could decrease his level of frustration which hopefully would lead to better composure. Also helps that I think the Cardinals defense has the perfect mix of vets and youth to provide him the perfect developmental opportunity.

At this point if Cleveland or Cincy wanted to trade up to draft a player like Trent Richardson (good chance he might still be available) I think you have to consider moving down and grabbing additional picks (2nd and mid rounds) which is where the true value of this draft seems to be. Best case scenario would be to trade back with Cleveland and add at least their 2nd round pick and draft Vontaze Burfict at #22 and Zebrie Sanders or Kelechi Osemele or Donta Hightower at #37.

I see your reasoning. But that's a BIG HOPEFULLY concerning Burfict. To me he'll be a head case, if not right away, then down the road. He'll be a distraction. He's not a team guy at all. He's a me guy.

I'd definately like to get out hands on some of that 2nd round talent. The other Fla. St. OT is very good too and was rated higher coming into the season before he got injured. Any of them would be good there.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If Upshaw played in the Pac 12 his sack #'s would be near the top in the country. SEC is not a passing league, they keep the ball on the ground mostly which gives Upshaw more opportunties in the run game. He led the SEC in TFL, a multidimensional OLB. I'm backing off him a little bit just because DeCastro would be a perfect pick at #13.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson