Could the Phoenix Suns, city build a new arena at Phoenix Convention Center site?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could the Phoenix Suns, city build a new arena at Phoenix Convention Center site?

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-suns-city-build-a-new-arena-at.html?page=all

The Phoenix Suns play in one of the oldest arenas in the National Basketball Association and could soon be looking at major renovations to US Airways Center or possibly a new arena altogether.

One scenario being talked about — at least in real estate and downtown Phoenix circles — is a new arena being built where the current South Building of the Phoenix Convention Center is on Jefferson and Third streets. That is the oldest convention center building and is a block away from the Suns' current arena.

US Airways Center — which is being renamed Talking Stick Resort Arena — opened in 1992.

It will soon be the fifth oldest NBA arena after new homes are built for the Golden State Warriors, Milwaukee Bucks and Sacramento Kings.

US Airways Center is owned by the city of Phoenix and the Suns lease doesn’t expire until 2029, according to city spokeswoman Deb Ostreicher.
The Suns could look to the city for renovations of the downtown arena or could look for a new home.

“We are in constant communication with the Suns on a variety of issues. They have been an excellent community partner for 25 years and we look forward to the next 25 years together,” Ostreicher said.

Suns Senior Vice President Maria Baier said the talk around town about a Suns arena and the convention center scenario, is speculation.

“There’s all kinds of rumors swirling around,” Baier said. “But we’ve had no serious conversation with the city about it yet.”

Baier said the team has not decided on a specific site or sites or possible renovation plans.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its so funny. It seems new to me. It seems like just yesterday they were building it.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Its so funny. It seems new to me. It seems like just yesterday they were building it.

Was going to say the same thing. Everything inside it looks new and modern. Yea the outside looks old school with the design of it, but I never felt I was back in the 90s when I went to games.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they want a new arena, build it yourself, Sarver.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Was going to say the same thing. Everything inside it looks new and modern. Yea the outside looks old school with the design of it, but I never felt I was back in the 90s when I went to games.

Yep.

People act like 1992 is 1892. Crazy.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I'm nostalgic, and there's quite a bit of history already in that building, so i hope the Suns keep playing there for many years.

History of a building ... as if that means anything..

A modern arena is part of the financial equation to stay competetive.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first Suns game (first couple) were at Veteran's Memorial.

Used to be able to walk up and buy a cheap seat ticket for like $15 then move down to wherever you wanted. From closer down James Edwards could hear me yelling for him to stop loafing up and down the court. KJ, Chambers, were great to watch back then even though they traded Nance. Memory fails so I can't remember if I saw Majerle play there.

I was at the 1st game Suns played at AW. Barely beat the Clippers. I had the cheapest seat you could buy..top row right by an A/C duct. Froze my butt off. It does seem like yesterday.

Toro

Registered
Reaction score
Pro sports is going to learn that all fans have a limit. It's crazy to think a suns game for a family of 4 costs $500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe the Coyotes will play there if its built.

HooverDam

Reaction score
The Suns don't need a new arena, but Sarver knows he needs to start beating this drum now if he wants it to happen any time in the next decade.

I could see an argument being made that they need a new practice facility. Their practice facility is just one court down in the basement of USAC. ASU's Weatherup Center is much nicer and most NBA teams have nicer, multi-court facilities.

But needing a new practice facility doesn't mean you need a whole new arena. I'd love to see the Suns take over an empty warehouse south of downtown (there are plenty of them) and adaptively re-use it into a practice facility.

Is that dump still standing? If so they need to Kingdome it.

You must be registered for see images

What a moronic sentence. Yes the Memorial Coliseum still stands, and no, it does not need to be demolished. It's used for concerts, trade shows and the State and County Fairs. Why demolish a productive structure?

The Coliseum is a real cool mid century modern building. It influenced the design of later arenas as well (i.e. the Calgary Saddledome)

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that dump still standing? If so they need to Kingdome it.

You must be registered for see images

LOL

Still there. Used for concerts and exhibits every year for the Arizona State Fair.

Trivia: The last game played in the Coliseum by the Suns was a Game 4 loss to Portland in the 1992 Conference Seimfinals. Portland 153, Phoenix 151 (2OT) - still the highest scoring NBA playoff game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly when Sarver started his push for a new arena it accompanied a new push for winning a championship. Cough. Cough.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The arena they have is a fantastic building and cost this city alot of money. It is absolute foolishness to build a new one. They could do a little updating but it would not take much.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i don't go to games in Phoenix, but I'd hate to see them go the United Center/Staples route. Watching basketball games in there is like watching them in an airplane hanger. Too cavernous and WAYYYYYYYYY too many luxury boxes. Makes for a much less intimate sporting event and those stadiums never get super loud because the acoustics suck and there's seemingly fewer actual seats for the lay fan because of the multiple levels of suites.

HooverDam

Reaction score
i don't go to games in Phoenix, but I'd hate to see them go the United Center/Staples route. Watching basketball games in there is like watching them in an airplane hanger. Too cavernous and WAYYYYYYYYY too many luxury boxes. Makes for a much less intimate sporting event and those stadiums never get super loud because the acoustics suck and there's seemingly fewer actual seats for the lay fan because of the multiple levels of suites.

If the Suns did a new arena, I doubt it would go that route. There isn't the corporate base in PHX like in LA and Chicago. I imagine a new Suns building would be modeled more on what Indiana has than what LA/Chicago have.

Either way, the Suns have no need for a new building. A new practice facility? Sure.

Just because USAC is the "5th oldest arena!" doesn't mean anything. There was a building boom after the Suns arena was built. There hasn't been an economic shift in the NBA like there was from the 80s to the 90s (going from 14K arenas with no suites to 17K+ arenas with suites) that necessitates a change.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys echoed it for me. I went to VMC to see my firsts Suns game and the current Arena still seems "newer" to me as well. It's still a nice arena IMO.

I just don't want them to build something new to say it's new. If your going to build something new, it better be state of the art and a better experience for fans. Either that or keep the current arena.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
hate to break it to you but it is the same way in european soccer

Not really no. Most of these new stadiums are soulless flatpack stadiums. Each one the same - just different colours seats. There would be outrage if my team ever tried to move.

I understand that sometimes a team might outgrow it's stadium (Cards couldn't continue as they were), but the Suns don't actually need a new arena.