Could Grace be released?

Alan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
With all the talk about the young guys being sent down when the injured guys return, do you think Grace might be released?

Compared to the other guys who can play 1B (Overbay, Shea, Baerga), Grace has the lowest batting average, the least amount of AB's, least amount of RBI's and the worst OBP.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I think Grace should be released. Lyle is the first baseman and Baerga and Hillenbrand can do it against lefties if needed. Will they release Grace? Probably not. I didn't think they should resign Grace after last year but they did.

adam

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He won't be for a couple reasons IMO. One, he isn't bitching about playing time and all accounts are he is really jumping in there and helping these young kids out. That cannot be discounted. He is a lockerroom guy...always has been always will be.

Two, he can still hit even though his stats currently don't reflect it. But what does everyone expect? He is used to playing everyday and so those rare occasions he is asked to hit it is harder to shake the rust off. Not making excuses but it is simple reality.

Three, Colangelo has a soft spot for Grace...being a Cubs fan growing up and Grace playing so long and so well for the Cubs. Colangelo didn;t have the same emotional attachment to Williams but I think he does to Grace. Grace will likely be a part of the Diamondbacks family long after he plays his last game.

Having said all that, releasing Grace may be a possibility when psh comes to shove. I would prefer that he be hit with a nagging hamstring or something and getting put on the DL for awhile but the long term health of this organization is greater than the feelings of a single player or coach.

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
Gracie's had a much more difficult time busting outta slumps since becoming a family man :cool: