Couch to join Pack...

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thrilled the Packers kept Favre and picked up Couch. One is done, the other never was.

The Pack is back! In the cellar.

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
I'm thrilled the Packers kept Favre and picked up Couch. One is done, the other never was.

The Pack is back! In the cellar.

Kind of ironic. I haven't visited this website in awhile, but the news of Emmitt Smith being named the starter got me curious as to what everyone was saying about it and I ended up finding this thread. You say Favre is done, and he's younger than Smith.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Houdini said:
Kind of ironic. I haven't visited this website in awhile, but the news of Emmitt Smith being named the starter got me curious as to what everyone was saying about it and I ended up finding this thread. You say Favre is done, and he's younger than Smith.

Agreed. Emmitt is done. Naming him a starter was insanity.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think Couch still has potential (yeah, yeah, "potential means you haven't done anything yet"). I think he might really shine in GB if Favre goes down or retires.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I still think Couch still has potential (yeah, yeah, "potential means you haven't done anything yet"). I think he might really shine in GB if Favre goes down or retires.

That's not what worries me. I'm worried that Couch is so determined about wanting to be the starter and the Packer organization is so determined that he is the heir apparent that they may push Brett out the door before he wants to retire. I don't want to see that happen to him. He's done a tremendous amount for that team and I think in fairness to him should not feel pressure to step down before he is ready to.

I think it would be a huge disservice to him and reflect poorly on the organization. really that's my main concern. i think Couch would do okay in the Packers system - i just don't want him forcing his way in there. plus, i'd rather see Nall have a shot before Couch, but i don't think that is going to happen.

shawn

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
All hail cheesebeef!

He pushed the kid over the edge and ridded us of him.

As for Favre, first ballot hall of famer no doubt. But nothing better than yelling "Hey Brett I got some vicodin and look at this beer." when he is walking out right in front of me in the North End Zone.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the 60's, 70's and 80's the Pack had 17 consecutive years when the best record was .500. Then they hired Ron Wolf, arguably the best GM in the last 30 years in the NFL.

He retired. Green Bay today is still a miserably too cold NFL backwater and will backslide into NFL mediocrity again.

No player in his right mind wants to ask his wife to live in Green Bay.

To me, Green Bay and NYG fans are the best of all the NFL fans who invade SDS. But Green Bay, the town, and the team are destined to many more years of misery.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Back in the 60's, 70's and 80's the Pack had 17 consecutive years when the best record was .500. Then they hired Ron Wolf, arguably the best GM in the last 30 years in the NFL.

He retired. Green Bay today is still a miserably too cold NFL backwater and will backslide into NFL mediocrity again.

No player in his right mind wants to ask his wife to live in Green Bay.

To me, Green Bay and NYG fans are the best of all the NFL fans who invade SDS. But Green Bay, the town, and the team are destined to many more years of misery.

Some of those days were before the change in the NFL with Free-Agency, salary cap, revenue sharing the other types of "upgrades" the league has installed in order to keep the teams competitve. While I think that Ron Wolfe's exit from the organization is going to be felt very soon - if not this coming season, I don't think they will be as bad as they were during the 70's and 80's.

As of now - I'm really not happy with how Sherman is running things there. I think he is killing everything that Wolfe and Holmgren built, but I don't think the Board of Directors will put up with him making bad decisions year-in and year-out. Hopefully they'll put him out in the next couple of seasons if he can't straighten out his mess, do better in the drafts and be more aggresive during free-agency.

Shawn