Cord Cutters

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Covert Rain, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I can't give up my sweet deal at DirecTV at the moment even though it doesn't have a recorder. :cool:

In regard to distance, the 6-8 feet is going to be the range for at least a couple of viewers.

My gosh, you know I want the bigger TV. LMAO

cardncubfan and AzStevenCal like this.
  2. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

One reason for this is that the smart features are kind of a "throw-in" to add value to the TV. The problem some might have is that the TV maker is not as invested in making sure the apps are updated for the best performance/experience whereas the outboard devices' software/firmware will be updated much more often because it's their product and they are highly motivated to keep the experience as seamless as possible.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  3. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

Agreed. Also I'd have to do a little extra work to send it through my receiver and I'm too lazy to do it.

4. gmabel830

gmabel830 It's football season!!

We don't get a good NBC signal with our antenna, so use nbc sports app.. this is probably the worst functioning app available for smart TVs!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

5. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut 4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon Contributor

My eyes glaze over and I get brain freeze when I try to read this whole thread.. I know this question is kindergarten level for you guys, but I gotta start where I'm at... I have a smart TV that's about 5 years old and it doesn't have the Amazon app preloaded. I have a prime membership but we've only used it for shipping. My wife says she wants to watch the Jack Ryan thing. How do I do that without the app? Do I cast it from my tablet or phone? Is this what chromecast is for? It's a cheap way right? Is there a way to load the app to the TV? Would someone spoon feed me, please?

I also get your comments about DirecTv. I'm po'd about their policies and prices but streaming only is not where I want to go.... I'm paying full boat on the NFL package but I'm just not into fighting with them over it this year.... My contract has expired and I don't want to get roped into another 2 years.... I don't want to go to Comcast cable because I can't get NFL if I choose to so why bother.

1st world problem.

6. Town Drunk

Town Drunk Longest serving ASFN lurker

You’ll need to get yourself either the Fire Stick or Fire TV for Amazon and plug it in to an HDMI port on your TV in order to get Prime Video.

Can’t help you with DirecTV. I stream through DirectNow. $40 bucks a month, no NFL package though.

7. Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing Don't Stop Believin'

I was in the same boat. I signed up for DTV through Costco a few years ago to get their smokin deal. Last year my contract was up so I called to cancel and they offered me $50 off per month for 1 year and free NFL ticket so I renewed another year. This year I called asking for the same deal and they only offered $50 off per month and $16 off per month for NFL ticket so I cancelled.

I bought an amazon fire tv for $40 and signed up for playstation vue choosing the $50/mo option. I get all the channels I watched on DTV except for the history channel. I added Redzone for another $10, which is the only channel on NFL ticket that I wanted. When GOT comes back I'll add hbo for another $15.

So far so good. I'm sure I'll run into hickups along the way, but I'll figure them out as I go. The dvr system is awesome. Record as much as you want and it stays on the cloud for 28 days.

I'm sure I'm not any more skilled than you when it comes to this stuff and I was easily able to get the fire stick up and running. My wife has prime and it automatically links up when you hook up the stick.

azmike74, MrYeahbut and AZ Native like this.
  8. MrYeahbut

Thanks guys, @Town Drunk what's the difference between the the fire stick and fire TV?

9. Town Drunk

Town Drunk Longest serving ASFN lurker

Fire TV is larger and more powerful, it’s faster when you’re clicking through it. Fire Stick is smaller and portable, but has a slower response time when you’re perusing everything. Video playing works fine for either one. I have the Fire TV for my main TV at home but I take the Fire Stick with me when I travel.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    MrYeahbut likes this.
  10. MrYeahbut

Just to let the board know... If anyone needs help setting up Fire TV, I'm your guy. It's a snap!

:D

Thanks again!

cardncubfan, Linderbee and Town Drunk like this.
  11. AZ Native

AZ Native Living is Easy with Eyes Closed Contributor

It that the $40 package?

12. AZ Native

Do you get Fox Sports AZ with that package?

13. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2.

14. AZ Native

That's funny because I hooked mine up and it didn't work. Come to find out the electrical outlet was bad. I replaced the outlet and plugged it in and voila.jpeg it worked!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    MrYeahbut likes this.
  15. Ronin

Ronin Registered

Yes