Competitive youth soccer?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 8-year-old nephew just dominated a U-12 league and is really in search for better competition. One alternative right now is to join a U-14 league but I guess the league commissioner is hemming and hawing about liability etc. etc. They're afraid the teens are going to break the boy in two, even though he's already 5-2 and built like freakin' cat.

Does anyone know of a hyper-competitive U-10 or even U-12 club in search of talent? Any suggestions? I've got feelers out to U.S. Soccer, Real Salt Lake Arizona Academy, and any pretty much any other big wig that will listen, but I'm not getting back any contact as of yet.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
My 8-year-old nephew just dominated a U-12 league and is really in search for better competition. One alternative right now is to join a U-14 league but I guess the league commissioner is hemming and hawing about liability etc. etc. They're afraid the teens are going to break the boy in two, even though he's already 5-2 and built like freakin' cat.

Does anyone know of a hyper-competitive U-10 or even U-12 club in search of talent? Any suggestions? I've got feelers out to U.S. Soccer, Real Salt Lake Arizona Academy, and any pretty much any other big wig that will listen, but I'm not getting back any contact as of yet.

Try this site: I used eteamz to get my daughter on select softball teams.

http://www.eteamz.com/soccer/sites/finder/state.cfm/Arizona/

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
He is too young to play on the Olympic Development Program(or Young Olympian Program) so US Soccer is not going to show interest, yet. They go strictly by year of birth but once they are of the minimum age available they can "play up".

For the most succesful club in AZ try http://www.serenosoccer.com/
Word of warning though, it is expensive and are notoriously cut throat.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother, my nephew's father, played for Sereno for three years. I think his experience with them left him not wanting to get involved again, even though he was a three-year starter. IIRC, he ended up bailing midway through the last year to play for Arsenal. Had a scholie offer from Yavapai but ended up going to MCC because his club coach was also the MCC coach. Worst decision he ever made, IMO, even though he was all Arizona JC first team his freshman year.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
There are a lot of options in Arizona. I'd try to get him on a competitive U10 team as it will only put him with kids a year older than him, he may be physically mature but most 8 yr olds just aren't socially mature enough to be around kids 2-3 yrs older than him.

Depending on where he lives in the Valley there are a lot of clubs to choose from.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help, folks. To update the story, my nephew's team started taking on better competition and things have evened out for him. He's still way ahead of the curve, but he's looking a little more human now and isn't launching 30-yard laser-guided missiles for goals on these guys.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard