Compensation for Budenholzer?

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
I don't follow Atlanta all that closely but that is not what I've read on Hawks forums. From what I've read, Ressler and/or Schlenk forced it and the rumors about the breakup started from the day they introduced their GM when Bud was unavailable.

Interesting, hadnt heard that. Certainly could be true, especially considering Budenholzer asked Ferry to step aside for his pretty poopy remarks. Bud then took over as president of BBall Ops. Either way, I dont think Bud would think he can run both departments, especially if he trusts the GM/president. Much like what he did with Ferry and Pop did by stepping down when bud was on his bench.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Have you ever been to Holbrook? :D
'Funny you should ask. Back in November 1990, I was driving from Albuquerque back to Phoenix along the I-40 on a Saturday when my alternator went. It was a computerized setup under my hood, which the repair shop in Holbrook couldn't duplicate, so they jury rigged a wiring setup to keep me going in the hail and snow (and ultimately, the dark). I rode without lights or heat driving south toward Payson.

Thanks to the guys in Holbrook, I made it back to Phoenix (stopping frequently to charge my battery along the way) where a Toyota dealer/shop on Bell Rd. had the proper parts for permanent replacement. The guys in Holbrook got me home (including an unplanned layover in Payson).

P.S.: I had relocated to Albuquerque to rejoin a previous employer from Phoenix, as Director of Operations. When I heard, about ten months later, that the flaky owners in Philadelphia were planning to move it again back East, I lined up a job in Scottsdale. I made it back in time to start my new job Monday morning.

So I'll always have a warm spot for Holbrook AZ. The guys got me home to the Valley. In time! :thumbup:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Funny you should ask. Back in November 1990, I was driving from Albuquerque back to Phoenix along the I-40 on a Saturday when my alternator went. It was a computerized setup under my hood, which the repair shop in Holbrook couldn't duplicate, so they jury rigged a wiring setup to keep me going in the hail and snow (and ultimately, the dark). I rode without lights or heat driving south toward Payson.

Thanks to the guys in Holbrook, I made it back to Phoenix (stopping frequently to charge my battery along the way) where a Toyota dealer/shop on Bell Rd. had the proper parts for permanent replacement. The guys in Holbrook got me home (including an unplanned layover in Payson).

P.S.: I had relocated to Albuquerque to rejoin a previous employer from Phoenix, as Director of Operations. When I heard, about ten months later, that the flaky owners in Philadelphia were planning to move it again back East, I lined up a job in Scottsdale. I made it back in time to start my new job Monday morning.

So I'll always have a warm spot for Holbrook AZ. The guys got me home to the Valley. In time! :thumbup:

I have talked about Holbrook and Winslow before. These are nice communities that unfortunately got bypassed by Interstate 40.

It's sad to drive I-40 and not notice the remnants of Route 66 and the attractions that once formed thriving businesses along the way.

As you note, nice helpful people live in these communities.

BC, I'm glad you were able to complete your trip in such adverse circumstances.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Absolutely No to the idea of a first-round pick as compensation. The Hawks still owe the Suns for the Al Horford lottery. Call their bluff.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It's sad to drive I-40 and not notice the remnants of Route 66 and the attractions that once formed thriving businesses along the way.
When I drive back from my annual trip to the Paris Las Vegas hotel in June (and visit the sensational Bacchinal Buffet at Caesar's -- all that succulent fresh shrimp -- and a show on the Strip as well as visiting friends), I am going to drive the Historic Route 66 Loop just east of Kingman and visit Hackberry, Valentine, Crozier, Truxton, Peach Springs, Yampai, Seligman, Crookton and Ash Fork.

And, although I spent a few hours in Williams while waiting to take the Grand Canyon Railroad years ago, I am also going to take that Route 66 Loop through Williams and stay overnight and see a lot more. You're right! It is like going back in history.

Over the years, I have also enjoyed a lot of the sights in northern Arizona. Page (& Lake Powell), Monument Valley and Chinle, Canyon de Chelly, Meteor Crater, Painted Desert and, of course, the Grand Canyon.

And my favorite motel in Sedona -- the Best Western Plus Sedona Inn, nestled in the Red Rocks off Airport Road. At a nightly rate far less than the resorts at double or triple the cost. Visiting Prescott and its Whiskey Row is fun, too. And the drive out Shea Blvd. and up the Beeline Highway to Payson. There are a lot of fun places to visit within our State.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I drive back from my annual trip to the Paris Las Vegas hotel in June (and visit the sensational Bacchinal Buffet at Caesar's -- all that succulent fresh shrimp -- and a show on the Strip as well as visiting friends), I am going to drive the Historic Route 66 Loop just east of Kingman and visit Hackberry, Valentine, Crozier, Truxton, Peach Springs, Yampai, Seligman, Crookton and Ash Fork.

And, although I spent a few hours in Williams while waiting to take the Grand Canyon Railroad years ago, I am also going to take that Route 66 Loop through Williams and stay overnight and see a lot more. You're right! It is like going back in history.

Over the years, I have also enjoyed a lot of the sights in northern Arizona. Page (& Lake Powell), Monument Valley and Chinle, Canyon de Chelly, Meteor Crater, Painted Desert and, of course, the Grand Canyon.

And my favorite motel in Sedona -- the Best Western Plus Sedona Inn, nestled in the Red Rocks off Airport Road. At a nightly rate far less than the resorts at double or triple the cost. Visiting Prescott and its Whiskey Row is fun, too. And the drive out Shea Blvd. and up the Beeline Highway to Payson. There are a lot of fun places to visit within our State.

I envy you BC. You live life to the fullest.

Enjoy the sights in Las Vegas, the historic route 66 and other sights in Arizona.

Live it up for me and enjoy my friend!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They could simply say they owe the Heat a first round pick by 2021, non-specific. They can give any pick they have or trade for. Forget protections.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They could simply say they owe the Heat a first round pick by 2021, non-specific. They can give any pick they have or trade for. Forget protections.

Do you know if something this non-specific has been done before?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Other than draft night, wouldn't that lock up their first round pick every year until it conveyed?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Other than draft night, wouldn't that lock up their first round pick every year until it conveyed?
No, because they have two picks in 2021, so they could wait until then if they wanted. It would not lock up any picks. This type of thing has been done before. I remember a team trading for a first round pick so that they could satisfy a trade requirement. The Stepien rule only requires that a team not go more than one year in a row without a first round pick. It does not require that the team keeps its own pick. Swapping picks with another team in the same year would have no impact on the Stepien rule (for example).

BTW. This situation is NOT like Doc or Kidd. Boston did not want to lose Doc. And Kidd had already begun negotiations with Milwaukee without permission.

Atlanta has already granted permission for the Suns to talk to Bud. Interestingly, they have NOT granted permission for any other team to do so. Now it may be that Milwaukee has not asked yet because of the playoffs. But it is also possible that the Hawks would prefer that Bud go to a Western Conference team. Again. Compensation is a minor factor here. The key is coming to terms with Bud.

I am trying to not be overly optimistic here. But it would seem to me that both Bud and the Suns consider each other their first options. The other interviews are more of a back up plan or formality. Bud, though, is a notoriously poor interviewee.

Last edited:

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
BTW. This situation is NOT like Doc or Kidd. Boston did not want to lose Doc.

I covered the Clippers for six years. Agine made that case because he knew he could swindle the Clippers out of a pick for a coach who did not want to be there anymore, and someone who was making that publicly known. He got CP3 to lobby the FO on his behalf to pull off the trade. Agine wasnt going to fire him, and Doc wasnt going to quit.

Agine was going to hold him hostage, because Doc was acting like a child. He didnt want him there anymore than Doc wanted to be there, but there was no way he was going to pay Doc out.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, because they have two picks in 2021, so they could wait until then if they wanted. It would not lock up any picks. .

I know that it doesn't matter whose pick you own, just as long as you own a pick. But that doesn't change what I said. In the scenario I responded to, the pick was going to convey in 2021 if not before. So, again, doesn't that mean that each pick prior to it conveying is locked except on draft night?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know that it doesn't matter whose pick you own, just as long as you own a pick. But that doesn't change what I said. In the scenario I responded to, the pick was going to convey in 2021 if not before. So, again, doesn't that mean that each pick prior to it conveying is locked except on draft night?
Again. No. They own all of their own picks. They could trade any of those and still not be without a first round pick in consecutive years.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Again. No. They own all of their own picks. They could trade any of those and still not be without a first round pick in consecutive years.

They wouldnt leave it that vague. It would be clear cut, some sort of protection, and if it doesnt convey via those protections by year X, it would convert to X 2nds.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

But they don't own all of their picks since they owe one to Phoenix. I think there is a miscommunication here. Steve is referring to Milwaukee and it seems you're referring to the Suns. I could be wrong on that but that's how I've read the exchange.

Milwaukee can't offer a 1st for compensation until their pick conveys to us, which would mean they would need to offer their 1st in 2023 to avoid the Stepian rule of trading 1sts in consecutive years. If the Bucks pick ends up being sent to Phoenix next year, they may be able to renegotiate with Atlanta and offer them their pick in 2021 if Atlanta wanted to get it sooner but the Hawks wouldn't need to accept that.

The Suns however own all of their picks and they could send a 1st out with relative ease because they own the protected Bucks pick, which will convey at the latest in 2021, and the 2021 Miami pick, in addition to their own picks up to that point and beyond.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But they don't own all of their picks since they owe one to Phoenix. I think there is a miscommunication here. Steve is referring to Milwaukee and it seems you're referring to the Suns. I could be wrong on that but that's how I've read the exchange.

Milwaukee can't offer a 1st for compensation until their pick conveys to us, which would mean they would need to offer their 1st in 2023 to avoid the Stepian rule of trading 1sts in consecutive years. If the Bucks pick ends up being sent to Phoenix next year, they may be able to renegotiate with Atlanta and offer them their pick in 2021 if Atlanta wanted to get it sooner but the Hawks wouldn't need to accept that.

The Suns however own all of their picks and they could send a 1st out with relative ease because they own the protected Bucks pick, which will convey at the latest in 2021, and the 2021 Miami pick, in addition to their own picks up to that point and beyond.
Wow. That is embarrassing. Yes. A miscommunication.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Milwaukee can trade this years first round pick on draft night and not violate the Stepian rule.

We need something to happen and soon. :p

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Milwaukee can trade this years first round pick on draft night and not violate the Stepian rule.

We need something to happen and soon. :p

I believe that would be considered tampering though. They can't make a deal now to make a trade in 2 months. I'm not entirely sure how that would play out but they'd be entering a real gray area.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that would be considered tampering though. They can't make a deal now to make a trade in 2 months. I'm not entirely sure how that would play out but they'd be entering a real gray area.

I'm not sure about the gray areas but if the pick is conveyed during the draft I do not see any violation.

The Hawks could give permission for the Bucks to talk to Bud, the same as they did to the Suns. Do you think the Suns have talked about compensation? Why would the Bucks have the same right?

No one is proposing violating the Stepian rule because the Bucks could not offer the Hawks compensation (their 2018 first round pick) until the draft.

Now, if the signing occurred before the draft and the trade later, I believe this could be a violation.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Not good.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully the Suns can get the compensation issue behind them.