Combine Talk

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Looked again it appears Austin Allen, Danny Ettling and Nic Shimonek, might be more but I saw those 3 for sure.

Good way for those QBs to get on tape throwing to the top receivers at the Combine. More evidence before the 32 teams who will review the tape and see them in action with good receivers.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Read the Kordell Stewart interview that I posted and how he reponded when asked to work out at WR.

All the players are applying for a job. They need to assure a team that they will do what the HC asks them to do---not what they think they deserve or what a fan thinks the player deserves.

Even SW mentioned that there is 'no entitlement' for anyone on the roster---got to work and earn your spot on the team.

I don't know how Lamar Jackson is going to respond to the request to work out at WR. If I had the chance I would tell him to do whatever it takes to get on film as a player (not just a QB---but a team player) and show how valuable he can be to the team that is thinking about drafting him.

As his agent, I'd say ignore suggestions like the above as it, in fact, lowers your value

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As his agent, I'd say ignore suggestions like the above as it, in fact, lowers your value

I'll take Kordell Stewart's opinion. It didn't lower his value and got him drafted.

He can hope a team drafts him strictly as a QB but he limits his value by having 'X' number of teams scratch him off their list. He wants as many teams as possible having him high on their draft board.

If he only wants to be drafted as a QB, he owes it to the team(s) who are considering him to tell them so. There are plenty of teams who have him down as a QB---apparently others don't think so and want to see (1) how readily he accepts new directions, (2) how quick a study is he to get on the field in a new position, (3) what versatility can he offer if we need him elsewhere.

He'll be best served to maximize his talents and what he has to offer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I'll take Kordell Stewart's opinion. It didn't lower his value and got him drafted.

He can hope a team drafts him strictly as a QB but he limits his value by having 'X' number of teams scratch him off their list. He wants as many teams as possible having him high on their draft board.

If he only wants to drafted as a QB, he owes it to the team(s) who are considering him to tell them so. There are plenty of teams who have him down as a QB---apparently others don't think so and want to see (1) how readily he accepts new directions, (2) how quick a study is he to get on the field in a new position, (3) what versatility can he offer if we need him elsewhere.

To me what it would say is he does not have enough confidence in his ability as a QB so he will consider other options to get in the NFL. If I am a NFL GM I don't want a QB that lacks in confidence.

I think the teams that see him as anything but a QB are wrong. Elway said pretty much exactly that today when he said any success Jackson has will be at QB not anywhere else.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
To me what it would say is he does not have enough confidence in his ability as a QB so he will consider other options to get in the NFL. If I am a NFL GM I don't want a QB that lacks in confidence.

I think the teams that see him as anything but a QB are wrong. Elway said pretty much exactly that today when he said any success Jackson has will be at QB not anywhere else.

It won't be his confidence that he is a QB that gets him drafted as a QB---it will be the confidence that a team's FO has that he is a QB.

There are plenty of teams that have him down as strictly a QB. But apparently there are others that don't have that confidence level and have asked to see him as a WR.

I think he has the potential to be either a major find or a major disappointment. I'd be concerned about the accuracy and his slim build/hips/lower legs. His skill set needs the right coaching staff and scheme---boom or bust. He'll break your heart with the inaccurate pass and then sprint for 30 yards on the next play.

(PS He still needs to do as requested in his job interview. I made my point and am into repeating myself. Let the thread return to the Combine results. )

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The flip side on Orlando Brown is that he is considered a top five tackle prospect without apparently ever having set foot inside a weight room. He is a mammoth human being with innate ability.

What will you have after a NFL strength and conditioning coach gets a hold of him?

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Louis Riddick made a great point today. He said that when Lamar Jackson lined up in pro style sets with 2 TEs, he looked very comfortable and his throws were generally on the money. It was when Louisville went into 4 WR spreads with less pass protection that things sometimes went a little haywire. Roddick thinks because of this, Jackson will adapt to the NFL game better than some may think.

I think that some of the Jackson to WR requests are from teams that don;t ever want to see him play QB against them. Of all the QBs in this draft, the one that would give DCs the most nightmares to prepare for is Jackson.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Why do you think multiple teams are asking him to work out at WR?

(1) You could say they are racist.

(2) You could also say that they see some athletic ability that they want to tap into but are not certain that it is strictly at QB.

I think it is (2). You are probably right that some team will draft him at #1. But a refusal to do what is asked of him at a job interview will also lower his grade for other teams. In the interview before 32 teams, he needs to convince as many as possible that he is a player for them. That will maximize where he goes in the draft.

Would you hire someone who told you "NO, not going to do what you me want to do . . . I'll make the decision of what my job title and duties are."

If i won the Heisman trophy and was a skilled college QB who happened to be very very athletic yes i say " i am a QB".Damn right .Some people act like Lamar Jackson is a option QB/Halfback/WR who happens to play QB.Wrong.
Lamar Jackson is a QB who is exceptionally athletic with a very good arm.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The flip side on Orlando Brown is that he is considered a top five tackle prospect without apparently ever having set foot inside a weight room. He is a mammoth human being with innate ability.

What will you have after a NFL strength and conditioning coach gets a hold of him?
a huge guard by the sound of it

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Louis Riddick made a great point today. He said that when Lamar Jackson lined up in pro style sets with 2 TEs, he looked very comfortable and his throws were generally on the money. It was when Louisville went into 4 WR spreads with less pass protection that things sometimes went a little haywire. Roddick thinks because of this, Jackson will adapt to the NFL game better than some may think.

I think that some of the Jackson to WR requests are from teams that don;t ever want to see him play QB against them. Of all the QBs in this draft, the one that would give DCs the most nightmares to prepare for is Jackson.

Well said
Take it with a grain of salt but jurecky confirmed that Arizona like him as a qb and they didnt ask him to play wr

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Well said
Take it with a grain of salt but jurecky confirmed that Arizona like him as a qb and they didnt ask him to play wr

Yes. Per reports, the Cardinals have set up interviews with Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If he only wants to be drafted as a QB, he owes it to the team(s) who are considering him to tell them so. There are plenty of teams who have him down as a QB---apparently others don't think so and want to see (1) how readily he accepts new directions, (2) how quick a study is he to get on the field in a new position, (3) what versatility can he offer if we need him elsewhere.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think it would come down to a Jackson at #15 for me, Josh or Lamar. If Mayfield is there that would make things even more interesting.

Tyrod Taylor would be an interesting option for ARZ as he is a FA after next season so if Jackson develops quickly he could start in 2019.

Wouldn’t it be funny to have 2 Josh Jackson’s in ARZ? PHX Suns & ARZ Cardinals.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Nonsense.If Lamar Jackson refuses to work out as a WR do you really think every team will just ignore his talent as a QB and refuse to draft him? Even the damned Browns aren`t that stupid.Mark my words there will be some team who will draft Lamar Jackson as a QB in Round 1.

Agreed and not to mention, how well would these teams expect him to perform? I mean he hasn't played the position and I'm sure he hasn't trained for the position. Teams would not be getting a full demonstration of his abilities anyway. IMO

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Would you hire someone who told you "NO, not going to do what you me want to do . . . I'll make the decision of what my job title and duties are."

But would you interview for a management position and then except a job in the mail room just because it was a "good company"? The NFL is not like interviewing for jobs "in the real world". IMO

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
But would you interview for a management position and then except a job in the mail room just because it was a "good company"? The NFL is not like interviewing for jobs "in the real world". IMO

Don't tell Fitz that his position as a WR is the equivalent of working in the mail room.

Getting through the hoops at the Combine is actually worse than interviewing for a job in the real world.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
colton miller from ucla helped himself today...as did will hernandez from utep

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If i won the Heisman trophy and was a skilled college QB who happened to be very very athletic yes i say " i am a QB".Damn right .Some people act like Lamar Jackson is a option QB/Halfback/WR who happens to play QB.Wrong.
Lamar Jackson is a QB who is exceptionally athletic with a very good arm.

No disagreement here on his athletic ability or his arm strength. Of concern is his accuracy and his frame. A big part of his game is running with the ball---he even started a game at RB this year. If teams want him to perform as a more traditional pocket passer that deducts the running numbers from his stats and then his passing accuracy issue will take on more importance.

The 'news' that some teams want to see him work-out at WR is confusing. Some reports have it as a 'fact' while other reports have LJ himself saying the no team has talked to him about WR.

Another report has LJ saying that he will throw at the Combine but not do any of the other 'Olympic' events. Will not run. He appears to make it clear to teams that he considers himself a QB and that is where he wants to play. Good for him for being upfront.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...at-nfl-scouting-combine/ar-BBJNtZG?li=BBnb7Kz

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Well said
Fir sure, wth not!
Yes. Per reports, the Cardinals have set up interviews with Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson.
Don't understand why they would limit themselves to these two only. They need to leave no stone unturned now.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose