Colvin wants to play DE

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In today's article on AZ Central he says he considers himself a rush end playing LB, played DE 3 years in college, and that's where he wants to play. Graves has said repeatedly they want to upgrade the LB position, and that Colvin can play both spots. Sounds to me like if we want to get Colvin we may want to emphasize to him he can play DE here?

Detroit is saying they want him to play both DE and LB they may be changing defenses, maybe our edge in "recruiting" him is going to be promising he can play DE?

Sounds promising but let's face it we've heard lots of guys say the right thing at this point and then sign elsewhere it'll come down to how much we offer and how it's structured.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
(Colvin) considers himself a rush end ... and that's where he wants to play... Sounds to me like if we want to get Colvin we may want to emphasize to him he can play DE here?

ESPN's rumor section indicated that the Cards have indicated a willingness to play him at DE.

Someone else on another AFSN thread observed that the Cards don't blitz their LBs very often. This is true. But we do like to run a lot of zone-blitz schemes where we drop linemen off in coverage. If we sign Colvin, I think Marmie will take advantage of Colvin's versatility and once again assume the role of "mad scientist" of the defense - you'll find Colvin moved around all over the place performing a multiplicityof roles. What better way to drive opposing offenses crazy.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the lack of blitzing was more intent on not leaving the defense open to big plays...I know that didn't work very well. I think they felt like they needed every man possible in pass coverage.

If Marmie and Mac get the weapons we hope they do defensively, then I think we WILL see an unleashing of the defenders and see alot more aggressiveness. If not, then clearly, one or both of the coaches is in way over his head scheming wise.

It doesn't take a genius to know that a chaos defense is disruptive and that chaos is generally achieved by blitzing players from all places. Look at what the Eagles defense is like.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Additionally, I have been saying all along, if they bring in Colvin it should be as DE. He can hold up the position well and has experience. They can then use him in some LB schemes to give offense different looks.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they felt like they needed every man possible in pass coverage.

Which may be so because we could not get any pressure on the QB. We need to get solid pressue with our front four. I hope Bryant works out and that we get a DE with Colvin so we can get some pressure.

football24/7

Registered
Reaction score
If we play Colvin ar RDE, do we still tack Suggs at LDE, or put KVB at LDE and draft A DT. Lots of possibilities.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by RedStorm
Which may be so because we could not get any pressure on the QB. We need to get solid pressue with our front four. I hope Bryant works out and that we get a DE with Colvin so we can get some pressure.

No doubt. It had alot to do with pressure because a 4 man rush wasn't getting anywhere close to the QB. The front 4 must apply alot of pressure on their own and that makes the blitzers even more effective.

Don't want to sound greedy, but I would like Colvin and either Okeafor or Holliday. Not sure which I prefer because they both bring positives the other doesn't.

football24/7

Registered
Reaction score
Dam, getting 3 hours sleep a night with the newborn, really affects my ability to spel.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I would have to listen again but I could swear I heard Graves say something about 3-4 defense in yesterdays interview. I wonder if Colvin would fit in that alignment as a Down lineman.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Originally posted by football24/7
Dam, getting 3 hours sleep a night with the newborn, really affects my ability to spel.

spel? Nah, Your doing fine.
:D :thumbup:

Couldn't resist.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by AzCards21
I would have to listen again but I could swear I heard Graves say something about 3-4 defense in yesterdays interview. I wonder if Colvin would fit in that alignment as a Down lineman.

I don't think he would be a suitable 3-4 DE. Doesn't a 3-4 DE play nose up on the OT instead of taking an outside shoulder position?

If they went to a 3-4...which I doubt but I suppose a philosophy change could happen, I would envision a Bryant, Tanner/Bell, KVB/Johnson deal with Colvin almost played a Rover LB position. I am also not sure we really have the LBs to play a 3-4 all the time...but personally would love to see the Cards scheme some 3-4 to force opposing offenses to spend time working on it.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by football24/7

I have a 3 year old and 8 month old, who are both sick. Thought I was past those sleepless nights.

Your spelling is fine...just don't expect to go to the National Spelling Bee.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
if he can sustain his play at a greater weight i would applaud colvin's signing to play de. i think signing him as a lb is a waste. also, if he bulks up to play de, no way are we gonna draft suggs. we can't have two undersized de's, the offense would just wear away both ends of our defense. besides, kvb can be a very servicable de if he has better talent (i.e. a true passrushing de opposite him and wendell improves).

No wheee on this thread 'cuz i'm somewhat serious.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I could swear I heard Graves say something about 3-4 defense in yesterdays interview. I wonder if Colvin would fit in that alignment as a Down lineman.
I didn't hear Graves mention anything about the Cardinals going to a 34, but he did allude to Colvin's versatility.

As a down-end in a 4-3 zone blitz scheme, he could either rush the passer or drop into coverage.

And they could move him around depending on down, distance and situation. He could play RLB on running downs and line up in the down position in passing situations.

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
I read that since the Giants cut Sehorn, they will take an $8 million cap hit this year, and will now unlikely be able to sign any big time free agents. If that's true, they might not be able to sign Colvin who they were after a few days ago.