Coachella Music & Art Festival

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if I'm the only person that headed out to the Coachella Music & Art Festival this weekend.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, here is a link:

www.coachella.com

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
cheesebeef
Pro Bowler

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by PHXSPORTS4LIFE
GOTTA FIND OUT 'BOUT THIS BURNING MAN THING THEN . . . any idea of when and where it takes place?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know what it is - we would never survive - hell I barely survived Coachella - it's a week long - no food, no water - no money - everything's a barterring system - Jumbo almost help film a docu there a couple years ago. Trust me Big bro, after this weekend's performance, we would both end up dead.

--------------------------------------------------
Cheesebeef and his brother phx went.

I didn't hear about. Would have went 3 years ago.

:cool:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Is this that thing where guys make shapes and things out of their penises?

OP
OP
DWKB

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
It actually doesn't look that great this year.

Guess that depends on what you think is "great".

My fav group of all time is the Beastie's with RHCP a close 2nd.

I love Jack Johnson and *. Love.

Queens rocked, so did N.E.R.D. and the White Stripes.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It actually doesn't look that great this year.

Oh - Chap - it was great. First it's not just about the music - it's about the weekend - either camping, staying in a condo with a group of your friends - whatever you do for three days in the middle of nowhere with perfect weather listeing to the most varied types of music you can find.

Groove Armada was good, even though they came on an hour late, the Beasties rocked, the White Stripes were pretty good and Thievery Corporation absolutely knocked my socks off - not to mention the ridiculous amount of intake my body did this weekend.

DWKB - who was your favs?

CardAvenger

Screaming At A Wall
Reaction score
Was it true that The Stooges played there? I heard it was a late addition to the show. I would've loved to see them.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well, considering I don't like the Beastie Boys and RHCP are one of my least favorite bands...

I would have liked to see Thievery, however, which is as close to perfect music as you can find...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, considering I don't like the Beastie Boys and RHCP are one of my least favorite bands...

I would have liked to see Thievery, however, which is as close to perfect music as you can find...

Thievery was hypnotic - best thing I saw at the show.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coldplay to Headline the 2005 Coachella Festival

NEW YORK - Coldplay and Nine Inch Nails will headline the sixth annual Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival in Indigo, Calif.

The Southern California desert festival will feature a packed schedule of over 90 bands in two days of rock 'n' roll, techno and hip-hop on Saturday, April 30, and Sunday, May 1.

British pop import Coldplay, Weezer, Wilco, Bauhaus, the Cocteau Twins and the Chemical Brothers are among the performers scheduled for Saturday.

Trent Reznor's Nine Inch Nails will headline Sunday's events. Other acts set to perform include New Order, Bright Eyes, the regrouped Gang of Four and Prodigy.

Ticket sales began Saturday (Feb. 5th).

On the Net: Coachella Festival

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well.. Coachella is scheduled for this weekend and I know that Cheesebeef and Ouchie are both planning on attending this year's "installment"....

I don't know of Cheesebeef still reads this forum, but I'm wondering if either him or Ouchie (or whoever from here that are attending) would be willing to write and post a review regarding it...... Would be vastly appreciated.....

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KLL said:
Well.. Coachella is scheduled for this weekend and I know that Cheesebeef and Ouchie are both planning on attending this year's "installment"....

I don't know if Cheesebeef still reads this forum, but I'm wondering if either he or Ouchie (or whomever from here that are attending) would be willing to write and post a review regarding it...... Would be vastly appreciated.....

Has this been resolved yet? :shrug: :D

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
Has this been resolved yet? :shrug: :D

you're asking the wrong person - if I'm sober enough yet by next Firday to write a comprehensible sentence, I'll be happy, much less be able to provide an actual music review!

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
you're asking the wrong person - if I'm sober enough yet by next Firday to write a comprehensible sentence, I'll be happy, much less be able to provide an actual music review!

Any personal "first-hand account" of Coachella is certainly appreciated by me regardless of how (in)coherent it is....Doesnt matter if it's through a drunken-hazed perspective! :D

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://nme.com/news/112228.htm

COACHELLA ROCKS WITH NIN

California’s COACHELLA FESTIVAL came to a rousing climax last night as NINE INCH NAILS played their first festival performance of the year to a 30,000 strong crowd.

Trent Reznor’s band showcased highlights from new album ‘With Teeth’ alongside classic songs including ‘Head Like A Hole’, ‘Closer’ and ‘Hurt’. The band played for over an hour to a packed crowd, who braved soaring daytime temperatures.

Earlier in the day, the main stage saw a thrilling performance by New Order who entertained festivalgoers with 'Blue Monday' and 'Crystal' alongside Joy Division cuts 'Transmission', 'Atmosphere' and 'Love Will Tear Us Apart'.

Many of the latest wave of British bands who were booked for the event commanded large turnouts including The Futureheads, British Sea Power and Kasabian.

In addition to packed crowds, a host of celebrities including Danny Devito, Dangermouse, Vincent Gallo and cast members from CSI all turned up to watch the various groups.

The Bravery made their festival debut to a bulging crowd in the Mojave tent who remained feverish for the New York quintet despite sound problems following their opening number 'Unconditional'.

Speaking about the outage that affected their instruments frontman Sam Endicott quipped, “the heat just melted our equipment”.

After regaining sound levels, they launched into a cover of U2’s 'Electric Co' followed by singles 'An Honest Mistake' and 'Fearless'.

The evening closed with a main stage set by Mos Def’s hip hop supergroup Black Star who replaced the Cocteau Twins, who cancelled their reformation for the event over a month ago.

Hey Cheesebeef... how was it? Were you sober enough to remember it? :D

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/18680848

Coldplay, Bauhaus, NIN Rock Out At Coachella

05/02/2005 7:00 PM, Yahoo! Music
Lyndsey Parker

The triumphant returns of Coldplay, New Order, Wilco, Weezer, Nine Inch Nails, Bauhaus, and the recently reunited Gang Of Four--along with starmaking appearances by newbies like the Bravery, the Secret Machines, Bloc Party, Keane, Razorlight, Snow Patrol, the Kills, the Futureheads, the Faint, and Kasabian--were just some of the highlights of the sixth annual Coachella Music & Arts Festival, held this past weekend at the Empire Polo Field in Indio, California.

Although attendance was down 30,000 from last year's record-breaking Coachella (which featured the Cure, Radiohead, and a much-hyped Pixies reunion), the smaller crowds and much milder weather (83 degrees, compared to last year's heatstroke-inducing 110) made for perhaps the most pleasant Coachella experience yet. The festival certainly attracted the usual number of celebrity spectators, including A-list couple Justin Timberlake and Cameron Diaz, *NSYNC's JC Chasez, Danny DeVito, Vincent Gallo, Saturday Night Live alumnus Chris Kattan, That '70s Show's Danny Masterson, Giovanni Ribisi, several C.S.I. cast members, and of course, Gwyneth Paltrow, who was there to see husband Chris Martin headline with his band Coldplay on Saturday night.

Coldplay were indeed one of Saturday's biggest highlights, with a massive performance that unified indie-rock hipsters, hackeysack-playing hippies, top 40-loving frat boys, and every other type of music fan in a way that perhaps only U2 could pull off these days. Emerging onstage to the celebratory strains of Richard Strauss's pounding 2001: A Space Odyssey theme, they opened with the epic first track off their upcoming third album X&Y, "Square One"--a bold statement of intent that took their stage show to a whole new level of bombast and grandeur. Highlights of their galvanizing 85-minute set included "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face" with the 40,000-strong audience clapping in unison; an acoustic snippet of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt" (a tribute to Sunday headliners NIN); Chris Martin instructing concertgoers to whip out their cameras and simultaneously snap a photo of the stage; and a whimsical performance of the country-tinged X&Y secret track "Till Kingdom Come" with Coldplay drummer Will Champion stepping out from behind his kit to play piano. The excitable crowd seemed extremely impressed with the setlist's several new Coldplay tunes (especially current top 10 single "Speed Of Sound")--as did Martin, who described future single "Love" as "orgasm-inducing," and introduced "What If" as "maybe the best song I ever wrote" and "Fix You" as "this song is f--ked-up brilliant." The set culminated with Martin's security-guard-assisted strut through the crowd during "In My Place"; during that moment, it seemed as if Coldplay were the biggest band on the planet. And perhaps they are, if this spectacular performance is anything to go by.

Other high points of the day included British piano man Jamie Cullum performing cocktail-lounge interpretations of Coldplay's "We Never Change" and Pharrell's "Frontin'"; fearsomely rockin' Anglo-American boy/girl duo the Kills generating some seriously electric sexual chemistry in the Mojave Tent; the Raveonettes' Sharrin Foo (the Grace Kelly of garage rock, a platinum-blonde ice queen resplendent in a '50s sundress and Jackie O shades) cooing lead vocals on a cover of the Angels' 1963 girl-group classic "My Boyfriend's Back"; bad-boy Brit-rockers Razorlight declaring, "This is how to end a rock 'n' roll show!" as a gaggle of nubile hotties jumped onstage for their finale; Welsh roots-rock power-trio Stereophonics drawing on their years of experience playing stadiums in their native U.K. to create a massive rock 'n' roll spectacle on the intimate Mojave stage; Wilco making up for 2004's cancelled Coachella appearance ("We were supposed to be here last year, but I was too f--ked up," rehab-refugee frontman Jay Tweedy explained); Weezer launching their set with the triple-punch of "Say It Ain't So," "Photograph," and "Undone (The Sweater Song)"; and New York's Secret Machines literally living up to their song lyric "blowing all the other kids away" with a heady and hallucinogenic set of OTP art-rock that left all witnesses pleasantly dazed and confused.

But no Saturday Coachella report would be complete without a mention of gothic granddaddies Bauhaus, who returned to the stage for the first time since their 1998 reunion tour. Descending from the ceiling in a mid-air Christ pose, the emergence of white-haired, black-trenchcoated frontman Peter Murphy Saturday night seemed to create a near-religious experience for the hundreds of Bauhaus fans who had braved the heat all day in sticky PVC trousers, melting pancake makeup, and layers of velvet and lace. (The goth contingent was particularly prominent at this year's Coachella, due to the participation of Bauhaus as well as Nine Inch Nails and New Order). Opening with their definitive minimalist signature song, "Bela Lugosi's Dead," Bauhaus instantly transformed the previously sunshine-filled festival grounds into a creepy Blair Witch field; when it was all over, Murphy intoned, "You can say now that you were there!" before vanishing into the desert darkness like a vampire bat.

Sunday was also filled with triumphant comebacks, with elder statesmen (Nine Inch Nails, Gang Of Four, New Order) really showing today's second-generation upstarts (the Bravery, Bloc Party, the Faint) how it's done. The most notable of these performances was that of Trent Reznor and his headlining band NIN; still angry after all these years, a faux-hawked, snarling Reznor was in positively ferocious form, tearing through songs from NIN's upcoming With Teeth album as well as classics like "Hurt," "Terrible Lie," "March Of The Pigs," "Head Like A Hole," and last but not least, "Closer" (which prompted an amusingly bizarre crowd singalong of the refrain "I want to f--k you like an animal").

Unlike the black-clad, spiky-haired NIN, Gang Of Four may have looked like normal suburban dads (one teenage concertgoer was overheard dubbing them "Gang Of Four-Hundred Years Old"), but sonically they were as fresh and of-the-moment as any of the current buzz bands they have so obviously inspired. New Order--a band that's clearly influenced bands like Interpol and the Bravery--also sounded incredibly modern, whether they were performing beloved N.O. standards like "Bizarre Love Triangle" and "Regret," songs from their new LP Waiting For The Siren's Call, or a rare triad of Joy Division tunes ("Atmosphere," "Love Will Tear Us Apart," and "Transmission") in a fitting tribute to fallen Joy Division singer Ian Curtis. If only Curtis, who committed suicide 25 years ago this month, could have lived to see how far his bandmates' influence would extend.

Other notable Sunday moments included a rousing early-afternoon performance by undersung Nova Scotian powerpoppers Sloan, with a rabid crowd of fans hoisting Canadian maple-leaf flags in their honor; Welsh songbird Jem crooning Paul McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed" (which she recently sang on The O.C.) and Stevie Wonder's "Master Blaster (Jammin')"; electro-country outfit Gram Rabbit passing out Halloween-costume bunny-ears, which festival-goers then proudly wore all day long; Sri Lankan-born, London-based rapper M.I.A. giving a quite literally "stinging" performance when the Gobi Tent inexplicably filled with swarms of bees, causing her audience to momentarily flee; the Bravery covering U2's "Electric Co"; and synth-rockers the Faint putting on two back-to-back Outdoor Theatre Stage performances (one on their own, one as the backing band for Saddle Creek Records labelmate Conor Oberst, aka Bright Eyes).

After 48 hours, 112 performers, hundreds of bees, and countless beers, it was all over. Another fine weekend of nonstop music under the California sun and stars had come to an end. However, there was little doubt that many of this year's festival attendees were already eagerly anticipating Coachella 2006.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1501113/20050502/coldplay.jhtml?headlines=true

Performances
05.02.2005 5:11 PM EDT

Chris Martin and Trent Reznor take to the piano, provide intimate-sounding sets.

INDIO, California — One played tender melodic rock, the other fierce industrial metal, but at the heart of Coachella's headliners was the same thing: a man with a piano and something to say.

On paper, Coldplay and Nine Inch Nails, who topped Saturday and Sunday's lineups respectively, represent the wide diversity that is the Coachella Valley Music Festival. However, when it came to their performances, both bands drew from deep emotions for sets that, despite the massive setting, felt intensely intimate. Whether it's "Yellow" or "Hurt," there's just something profoundly personal about a piano solo under the stars.

While new parent Chris Martin clearly had love and happiness on his mind (one of their new songs is even titled "Love"), Trent Reznor's song selections stuck to his signature declarations of hatred (at himself and others) and isolation. "Don't you f---ing know what you are?" he screamed over and over during one new track.

Now in its sixth year, Coachella has mastered the recipe for the perfect weekend festival: enough buzz bands to fill a season of "The O.C.," a couple of chart-toppers and a pinch of under-the-radar show-stealers to perform for 22 hours over two days on five stages. All this and not one stage named after a corporate sponsor.

With attendance back to about 50,000 per day (last year topped 60,000) and temperatures 20 degrees below 2004's scorching 100-degree days, navigating the five stages was much more bearable, although there was still the juggling act of trying to catch all the anticipated shows. It's not easy when the Bravery, the Futureheads and Tegan and Sara are playing simultaneously, but here at MTV News, we did our best. Here are some highlights:

* "I know, it's cheesy," Coldplay's Chris Martin told the largest assembled audience of the weekend at Saturday's end after changing "And it was called yellow" to "And it was Coachella" during the band's breakthrough hit. Martin also called himself ugly, apologized for rambling and asked, "I know we're foreigners, but will you give us a chance?" Maybe the sleepers in the back made him insecure (hey, it was almost midnight), but the thunderous roars for both their old and new songs and the constant flicking of camera flashes had to have been ego-boosting. Coldplay previewed several new tunes, including the heart-tugging " 'Til Kingdom Come," which Martin said was written for Johnny Cash.

* Wait, is that Trent Reznor in white? Perhaps symbolic of the new, sober man behind Nine Inch Nails? Regardless, he shed the shirt for a black tank top after a few tunes, around the same time the band really got going with Pretty Hate Machine anthem "Terrible Lies." Reznor, whose new band tore into its instruments like untamed beasts, mixed favorites such as "Piggy" and "Closer" with the heavier tracks from the upcoming With Teeth, including the title track and "You Know What You Are?" For the finale, the sweat-covered singer marched through "Hurt," "The Hand That Feeds" and "Head Like a Hole," the best of Nails' three eras.

* The Arcade Fire, one of the biggest buzz bands of the weekend, appeared to live up to the hype as the Outdoor Theatre crowd pogoed for most of the group's high-energy set. Singer Win Butler has a rock-star persona similar to Conor Oberst (whose Bright Eyes played later), but the fun was in watching the rest of the band, whose various members not only switched instruments constantly but also screamed every lyric, climbed the rafters, banged on everything in sight and wrestled each other to the ground.

* Snow Patrol, Keane and Wilco drew surprising numbers to the Coachella stage Saturday, but it was Weezer who brought the hits. The band played radio single after radio single, and the audience sang along "just like Buddy Holly."

* Not only did several bands inspired by New Order and Joy Division perform — among them the Secret Machines, the Bravery and Bloc Party — but so did New Order themselves. They dusted off "Blue Monday" and "Bizarre Love Triangle," as well as JD's "Love Will Tear Us Apart."

* Filling in for the Cocteau Twins (who backed out of their reunion) were reunited legends of a different genre. Performing as Black Star for the first time in years, Mos Def and Talib Kweli rose to the difficulty of following Nine Inch Nails by bringing out the festival's only surprise guest, Common, for his "Get By" and the Black Star collabo "Respiration."

* With the wall of sound from the Raveonettes on the Coachella Stage echoing beside him, British jazz crooner Jamie Cullum literally stomped on his piano keys to lure in curious early arrivers Saturday afternoon. Although he wondered aloud what he was doing there ("I'm playing Cole Porter at a rock festival!"), Cullum answered his own question with a set every bit as rock and roll — in spirit at least — as the other piano men on the bill. For his closer, Cullum delivered his cover of Radiohead's "High and Dry," ambitiously adding audience participation, some piano freestyling and a drum solo he played standing while his drummer kept the beat on the same kit.

* Later Saturday on the Outdoor Theatre, after shirtless Razorlight singer Johnny Borrell channeled Iggy Pop in a blistering set that blended infectious rock with politically charged punk, Rilo Kiley stole alt-country fans on their way to see Wilco by beginning with their single "It's a Hit." Singer Jenny Lewis, one of only a few females performing at Coachella, and her angelic, pitch-perfect voice proved a soothing soundtrack to the desert sunset, especially on the sexy "love song" (her words) "I Never."

* Sunday had its own angelic voice on the Outdoor Theatre in Jem. The British singer played "They," "Wish I" and other sunny tracks from Finally Woken for her early afternoon show, as well as covers of Stevie Wonder's "Master Blaster" and Paul McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed." "I don't know if this is PC to say here, but I did this song when I was the wedding band on 'The O.C.,' " Jem said with a smile. "Oh, come on, it's a guilty pleasure."

* In the Sahara tent, which was definitely the spot for the techno heads fiendin' for a rave, UNKLE stole the show Saturday with a set that ended with a remix of the Killers' "Mr. Brightside" followed by U2's "Where the Streets Have No Name."

* While Kasabian whipped the Mojave tent into a frenzy for a solid hour Sunday afternoon, a crowd spilling out of the nearby Gobi tent caught Sri Lankan rapper M.I.A. After she ended her set with the single "Galang," the crowd's screaming brought her for a rare Coachella encore, a freestyle to the beat of Jay-Z's "Big Pimpin'." Earlier that afternoon, M.I.A.'s DJ and boyfriend, Diplo, dropped tongues in the Sahara tent by working in mash-ups of Outkast with the Cure and Ying Yang Twins with the Bangles into his set of Brazilian hip-hop.

* It was all worth it for the goth kids (and there were many) who sweated out hours of desert heat in their black PVC pants, mesh shirts and black lipstick when Bauhaus took the main stage Saturday (oddly, in between Weezer and Coldplay). Singer Peter Murphy, in shocking bleach-blond hair, took the stage by being lowered upside-down on a wire, while the band took care of its biggest hit, "Bela Lugosi's Dead."

* Although not spotted together, 'NSYNC's Justin Timberlake and JC Chasez both took in Coachella. JT and girlfriend Cameron Diaz mingled in the VIP area before joining Gwyneth Paltrow on the side of Coldplay's stage. Meanwhile, Chasez was seen checking out a DJ set from Perry Farrell, the only artist to perform at all six Coachellas. Chloë Sevigny, Danny Masterson and Danny DeVito were also seen around the festival.

* A star is traditionally born at each Coachella, and while Rilo Kiley's Lewis and the Arcade Fire's Butler are this year's frontrunners, 2005 saw the festival's first actual birth: Although it took place at a nearby hospital, a woman went into labor at the festival on Saturday afternoon.

For more sights and stories from concerts around the country, check out MTV News Tour Reports.

— Corey Moss, with additional reporting by Shari Scorca

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.spin.com/features/exclusives/2005/05/05042005_coachella2005/

Best of the Fest: Coachella 2005

By: Peter Gaston

May 4, 2005

Coachella annually induces the envy of music fans worldwide with its carefully assembled lineup of sought-after new bands, stalwarts, and reunited legends, and this year’s installment had all of that in spades.
You must be registered for see images

Jenny Lewis of Rilo Kiley

After two days roaming the grounds of the Empire Polo Field in Indio, Calif., for the 2005 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, it's easy to complain about aching feet, sunburn, dehydration, nasty porta-potties, and shoddy cellphone reception. But sit down for a minute, down a few glasses of water, and make a list of the bands you saw and loved over the two-day event. Then call a friend back home and see if they have any compassion for your weary hooves or peeling forehead.

But attending Coachella is sort of like spending a day on the sofa, channel surfing (except it's stunningly hot outside and lots of bikini-topped ladies are strolling by). It's entirely non-linear, with five stages, art installations -- ranging from 100 recycling bins hand-painted by 100 artists to a giant, pink papier-mache baby -- and the ubiquitous VIP section populated with cool haircuts and expensive sunglasses (but a small percentage of true VIPs). Even though we spent hours in our makeshift "Coachella war room" at our nearby rental house, mapping out a preferred course for the day, neither day ended up anything like we'd planned. So here's an attention-deficit-ready recap of the weekend's events, related in semi-chronological order.

Band that looked most uncomfortable to be playing in sunlight: Yes, rock and roll is not usually a daytime activity, but if Coachella offers up the main stage at 3 p.m., you shake off your hangover and acquiesce. During the peak of Saturday sunshine, the Raveonettes emerged with sunglasses, eye-makeup, and, hopefully, ample amounts of sunblock on their pasty Danish hides. Maybe the heat got to their heads; they opened with the Johnny Cash-inspired "Somewhere in Texas.” The Danes recovered, though, and offered the geographically correct slice of girl-group pop, "Ode to L.A.," complete with looped versions of Ronnie Spector's backing vocals from the album version on Pretty in Black, the band's latest release.

The Kills' VV.

Hottest girl-on-guy action: It's hard to leave any set at Coachella's sweltering, closed-in Mojave Tent with a dry t-shirt, but the Kills turned up the heat even more late Saturday afternoon. Singer VV and guitarist Hotel bumped and grinded through songs from No Wow, at times turning Hotel's six-string into a virtual contraceptive, the only thing coming between the duo's gyrating hips. In turn, audience levels of foreplay during the Kills' set rivaled the makeout sessions that erupted during a more obvious moment: Nine Inch Nails' "Closer."

Quirkiest cover choices: Swingin' Brit Jamie Cullum offered a mushy version of Radiohead's "High and Dry," then apologized for playing Cole Porter at a rock show. Hundreds of indie rock kids looked at each other, shrugged, then headed to another stage.

Jaw-dropping celebrity sighting of the weekend: Cameron Diaz and Justin Timberlake in the VIP section on Saturday afternoon. Wow, is Cameron super cute in person, and super friendly to boot, chatting up Spin designer Alexandra Gershman for a bit in the VIP. Sadly, the couple turned down our request for a candid photo. Honorable mention: JC Chazez from N'SYNC with unnecessary body guards. Like some hipster is going to start something with JC?

Biggest turd laid on the main stage: With its own arsenal of lilting, tear duct activating ballads, Snow Patrol seemed like an appropriate hors d'oeuvre for those camped out all day in front of the main stage for Saturday headliner Coldplay. But the Scots bumbled through tunes from the generally engaging Final Straw. A band like Bloc Party might have been a better main stage choice; the crowd at their Saturday night set overflowed 15 yards in each direction from the gills of the Mojave Tent, thwarting my late run towards the stage when they launched into "Pioneers," the rarely played anthem from Silent Alarm. Honorable mention: There had to be better main stage options on Sunday than screamo also-rans Thrice.

Most ironic song introduction: Wilco's Jeff Tweedy talked about how his band was supposed to play Coachella in 2004, but had cancelled due to Tweedy's substance abuse problems. After saying how great it felt to be there, playing a big festival all clean and healthy-like, he led his band into "A Shot in the Arm," a song whose chorus repeats the line "Maybe all I need is a shot in the arm" over and over again.

Napoleon Dynamite's Efren Ramirez introduces Rilo Kiley.

Best celebrity cameo: As Rilo Kiley set up for its Saturday performance, Efren Ramirez, better known for his role as Pedro Sanchez in Napoleon Dynamite, emerged on stage, inciting loads of salutations from liger-loving fans. (How did people recognize the actor? Maybe it was his "Vote for Pedro" t-shirt that gave it away.) Set the 15-minute countdown, Efren! He did, however, introduce one of the day's best performances. Rilo Kiley's Jenny Lewis is a born performer, and even a too-short skirt didn't prevent her from mounting her keyboard and rocking out on songs like "Portions for Foxes" and "It's a Hit," looking a bit like Janis Joplin while basking in the late-afternoon sunshine.

Most bloated rock star, Saturday: Unquestionably, Rivers Cuomo of Weezer. Could one man look any less interested in playing to tens of thousands? No one's going to argue that he's crafted some of the last decade's wittiest pop moments, but with a mediocre new record on the way (and Kiss as a primary influence), Rivers plays with all the urgency of a Verizon service rep. We can only cheer so much for the flashing Weezer "W" logo and a precise rendition of "Say It Ain't So."

Best reason to skip Coldplay, in theory: Whether you dig electronic music or not, there are few live spectacles as awesome as a live Chemical Brothers set. Crazy visuals, block rockin' beats, hands-in-the-air euphoria; it seemed like the perfect outro for a long day of guitar rock. But the Chems' set was laced with an unusual amount of dull spots, lulls that sabotaged any momentum the set was building. And while "Star Guitar" was a gorgeous moment, the group's otherwise sloppy gear-shifting (coupled with legs feeling like Jell-O after ten hours of stomping the festival grounds) wasn't exactly the ideal climax to Saturday's bill.

Mos Def kicks it at Spin's Coachella afterparty.

Best reason to skip Coldplay, in practice: Free Converse sneakers and celeb sightings at Spin's scorching Coachella afterparty. Diplo, Radio 4, and Perry Farrell kept bodies movin' on the grassy dance floor, and Coachella performers like the Bravery, the Raveonettes, and Black Star's Mos Def chilled out, along with other Coachella fans like Chloe Sevigny, JC Chasez, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' Nick Zinner, Interpol's Carlos D., and members of the cast of CSI. Thankfully, there were no crime scenes to investigate.

Other Saturday highlights: Lilting, dreamy synth massages from M83, whose "Run Into Flowers" just sounded amazing, especially with the palm-laden backdrop. Ambulance Ltd.'s languid, California-ready rock, punctuated by instrumental closing romp, "Yoga Means Union."

Most bizarre thing to ever interrupt my sleep at 5:30 a.m.: I awoke early Sunday morning in our rental house to find an immaculately dressed Carlos D. lining up a shot at the pool table. Feeling decidedly un-hip in mesh shorts and a t-shirt, I crawled back into bed.

Best discovery of the weekend: Autolux floored the Mojave Tent on Sunday. Egged on by a home-state crowd, the LA-based band turned early afternoon heat into dark, explosive dirges, aided immensely by the frenetic drumming of Carla Azar and guitar work from Greg Edwards that recalled an overdubbed James Iha. If you were wondering where the frat boys were all weekend…: The sweaty, shirtless, and waxed came in droves to check out Kasabian on Sunday, perhaps thanks to the inclusion of the band's single "Club Foot" in the latest Pontiac ad campaign, one that appears with regularity on ESPN. The fists got a-pumpin' on "Reason is Treason," and Tom Meighan soaked it all up, staking a claim as one of the weekend's most agile frontmen.

Rock set that kinda felt like a DJ set: Stringing together songs as a bizarrely engaging stream of consciousness was the Fiery Furnaces. It's hard to avert a gaze from singer Eleanor Friedberger, who seemed on the verge of explosion at all times. But the most entertaining member of the Furnaces was drummer Andy Knowles. Perched behind a drum kit whose kick drum displayed the message "Drum Kit," Knowles offset Friedberger's intensity with unbelievably hilarious antics that included emphatic air-drumming during drum-less moments and making his drumsticks "walk" (think Johnny Depp mimicking Chaplin in Benny & Joon).

Best plea for crowd participation from the festival crowd: At almost every show, the Futureheads get the audience to sing along with their joyous backing vocals on "Hounds of Love," a Kate Bush cover. Despite the closest reaches of the main stage throng being stuffed with overly pierced Nine Inch Nails fans, guitarist Ross Millard and bassist Jaff managed to get a decent vocal battle going between left and right halves of the crowd. "We just wanted to make it feel like a regular gig," Millard told me later that night when we crossed paths during Nine Inch Nails' set. "I'm running for a quick wee, then coming back to see these guys.”

Most family-friendly Coachella set: Twin sisters Tegan and Sara leaned on crunchy pop numbers from their latest, So Jealous, and Sara offered up an earnest thank-you to fans for choosing their set among so many other options at the festival, and earnest apologies for taking extra time between songs because the glare made their tuners almost invisible.

Gang of Four's Jon King

"I'm the luckiest dude on earth" moment #1: Being in the photo pit when Gang of Four played "Damaged Goods." The camera went back into the bag, my hands went up in the air. Absolutely brilliant.

"I'm the luckiest dude on earth" moment #2: Being in the photo pit when New Order played "Regret." The camera went back into the bag until Peter Hook -- a huge ham -- strutted over to my side of the stage for some bass wizardry.

Most bloated rock star, Sunday: New Order's Bernard Sumner. He whined about a bum foot, he yelped about the barrage of flash photography, and he rolled out three Joy Division covers (Yes, let's call them covers. Ian Curtis' words, not Sumner's), a move that seemed like a tacky attention-grabber to me. Not a particularly strong live band to begin with, New Order should have felt the need to make a statement, especially with a mediocre new record in stores. But the set was abundantly average, and to add insult to aurally injured New Order fans, they incorporated a sample of Kylie's "Can't Get You Out of My Head" into the intro to set-closer "Blue Monday." The two tracks were combined in a widely downloaded mash-up; when the opening notes of "Blue Monday" emerged from the sound system, a friend of mine joked how cool it would be if Kylie recreated the mash-up live. We broke out in hysterics when the prophecy almost came to life, but for me, the laughter was ultimately replaced by pangs of nausea that weren't the result of undercooked festival food.

Believe the hype: While New Order rested on their laurels, Trent Reznor acted like it was his first-ever festival performance. Granted, NIN's new one, With Teeth is a far better comeback record than New Order's Waiting for the Siren's Call, but Reznor screamed, sweated, and flailed about, whether storming through new cuts like "The Hand That Feeds" and "With Teeth" or electrifying old faves like "Closer" and "Head Like a Hole." Coachella always tends to be a launching pad for reinvigorated, established bands, and, like the Pixies in 2004, NIN took full advantage of the opportunity to stake its comeback claim.

M.I.A. rocks the mic.

If the moshing dudes at NIN were too much…: Right next door to the main stage, the Faint got the sweet late-night slot that Le Tigre and the Rapture handled so brilliantly in 2004. With pastel lights illuminating surrounding palm trees, thousands gave up their last bits of energy to dance along to Faint tracks like "Glass Danse" and "Paranoiattack."

Other Sunday highlights: Much talked about rap chanteuse M.I.A., all a-glitter in the Gobi Tent. The Bravery subverting technical difficulties (and increasingly venomous hipster backlash) with an impromptu cover of U2's "An Cat Dubh." Getting to go back to the house and fire up the hot tub after the night's end, but instead passing out until morning, awash in blissful exhaustion, when I promised I was just "resting my eyes."

Photos by Alexandra Gershman and Peter Gaston.

Check out our Coachella photo galleries:
Saturday's Shows
Spin's Coachella Afterparty
Sunday's Shows

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coachella 2006

(Tickets on Sale Sat. Feb. 4th, at Noon (Pacific))

Coachella 2006 Official Line Up

Saturday, April 29th

Depeche Mode, Daft Punk, Franz Ferdinand, Sigur Ros, Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley, Common, Atmosphere, Carl Cox, My Morning Jacket, TV on the Radio, Ladytron, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Tosca, Cat Power, Animal Collective, HARD-Fi, Derrick Carter, Devendra Banhart, She Wants Revenge, The Walkmen, The Juan Maclean, Imogen Heap, Audio Bullys, Lady Sovereign, Deerhoof, The Duke Spirit, Eagles of Death Metal, Lyrics Born, Matt Costa, The New Amsterdams, The Zutons, Platinum Pied Pipers, White Rose Movement, Chris Liberator, Colette, Joey Beltram, Hybrid, Living Things, Wolfmother, The Like, Nine Black Alps, Celebration, The Section Quartet, Shy FX & T Power, Infusion.

Sunday, April 30th

Tool, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Bloc Party, Paul Oakenfold, Scissor Sisters, Matisyahu, James Blunt, Sleater-Kinney, Mogwai, Coheed and Cambria, Wolf Parade, Coldcut, Phoenix, Digable Planets, Amadou & Mariam, Little Louie Vega, Mylo (DJ Set), Seu Jorge, Gnarls Barkley, The Go! Team, Kaskade, Metric, Editors, Art Brut, Dungen, The Dears, Jamie Lidell, The Magic Numbers, Los Amigos Invisibles, Jazzanova, stellastarr*, Michael Mayer, Murs featuring 9th Wonder, Mates of State, Gilles Peterson, Infadels, Gabriel & Dresden, The Subways, Minus the Bear, One Republic, Be Your Own Pet, Youth Group, Giant Drag, Kristina Sky, The Octopus Project.

(line up subject to change)

http://www.coachella.com/

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Madonna Puts Fest Face Forward

03/01/2006

Sigur Ros, Franz Ferdinand, Sleater-Kinney...Madonna? One of these things may not be like the others now, but come this spring, they'll all be one big, fest-playin' family.

The Confessions on a Dancefloor superstar has joined the indie-heavy lineup at the 2006 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival for the second night of the Indio, California event on Apr. 30.

"I've never performed at a festival," Madonna said. "And I'm especially excited about playing at Coachella before I start my own tour."

The addition was surprising for both Madge--a festival virgin despite 20-plus years in the biz--and the event's organizers, whose massive annual desert do has always been a showcase for cutting-edge and indie rock, a genre the recent Grammy performer does not easily fall into.

For their part, Goldenvoice, the promoters of Coachella, acknowledge that the Material Girl's booking was a risky choice for an event that has steered away from the mainstream music world since its 1999 inception, but an addition they don't foresee damaging their credibility with concertgoers.

"I love things you don't see all the time," Goldenvoice's Paul Tollette told MTV News. "And we're always trying to make it so it's something you don't see anywhere else."

Madonna will be headlining the event's Sahara Dance Tent, a sub-venue typically reserved for DJ sets, though the "Hung Up" singer says she'll hit the stage with a live, if scaled down, band.

The spring gig will be good practice for the 47-year-old mother of two, who last week announced plans for a summer tour.

Madonna's upcoming outing, in support of her latest dance-heavy album, will be a smaller and more intimate affair than her previous blowout extravaganzas, most notably her 2004 spectacle-laden re-Invention tour.

Dates have yet to be announced for the tour, though it's expected to kick off in Los Angeles in May and continue through September before heading over to Europe and Asia.

Rehearsals for Madonna and Co. began today.

jenna2891

potential get-away driver: go!
Reaction score
on the run from johnny law... ain't no trip to cle
Brian in Mesa said:
Coachella 2006

(Tickets on Sale Sat. Feb. 4th, at Noon (Pacific))

Coachella 2006 Official Line Up

Saturday, April 29th

Depeche Mode, Sigur Ros, My Morning Jacket, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah,

Sunday, April 30th

Tool, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Paul Oakenfold, Mogwai, The Dears

those alone are worth it.

She Wants Revenge

yeah, i liked them better when they were called interpol.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to try to attend this. It is expensive but worth it.

I would love to see Depeche Mode one last time and Tool being there is like icing on the cake.