Chriss???

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I wanted Sabonis and I guess I still do looking at that list. But I don't know if I'd have taken Domantas at 4 either, I was looking for him around 10. I certainly would have taken him over Chriss at 8. But the point stands, like the Len class, it was a bad year to have the picks we did.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well, I wanted Sabonis and I guess I still do looking at that list. But I don't know if I'd have taken Domantas at 4 either, I was looking for him around 10. I certainly would have taken him over Chriss at 8. But the point stands, like the Len class, it was a bad year to have the picks we did.
We didn’t have the 8. We gave up bogdan and labiasierre pick I believe. Not a high sign for mcd’s evaluations.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sabonis has been solid for the Pacers.

I miss DJ Strawberry's... girlfriend.
Hield, Dunn & Murray made improvements last year. Other than Sabonis the other big men in that class haven’t shown much. Taurean Prince has been okay for ATL.

I too miss DJs old GF.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We didn’t have the 8. We gave up bogdan and labiasierre pick I believe. Not a high sign for mcd’s evaluations.

It is worrisome. Chriss showed enough potential at UW to warrant a top pick. But I don't know how anyone could have invested a lot in him if they'd actually watched entire games.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Have you guys taken a look at the guys taken after Bender and Chriss?

You must be registered for see images attach

What a stinker of a draft!
Jamaal Murray was my favorite prospect of the top 10. I thought he had star potential all around and that he could eventually learn the PG position. I’m not sure it would’ve ever worked here with Booker defensively but they would have formed such a dynamic backcourt offensively...

Dejounte Murray is another guy many people liked. And of course he dropped all the way to the Spurs and they get a steal with him. Same with Lonnie Walker this year.

I’m gonna make a bold prediction that Zizic (23rd pick) and Siakam (27th pick) actually end up better than Bender and Chriss. It may actually not be all that bold saying it now :p

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I said from the beginning that Zizic was just as good if not better than Bender and that Bender was more of a talent comparable to Zizic and Zubac than a lottery pick.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

Sabonis is nothing more than okay. Chriss is not a lot worse despite his up and down season and has far more upside still.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
It is worrisome. Chriss showed enough potential at UW to warrant a top pick. But I don't know how anyone could have invested a lot in him if they'd actually watched entire games.

We did not invest a lot to get him.

Bogdanovic was not an option for us to bring over since we wouldn't have been willing to give him a TJ Warren level contract just to come over which would have hampered out capspace.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think Bogdon wore out his welcome when he did not come over for the 2016-17 season after McDonough encouraged him to do so.

The Suns wanted him on a rookie scale contract. I think we need to give McDonough some credit for drafting him though.

IMO, the Suns doubled down in the draft on Bender and Chriss hoping one would be productive. That was a very weak draft.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sabonis is nothing more than okay. Chriss is not a lot worse despite his up and down season and has far more upside still.

In what way? Sabonis is a slightly above average player and will likely never rise about that but Chriss is in Bender territory. Chriss still has considerable untapped potential but he's given us very little reason to believe he will ever approach it.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Jamaal Murray was my favorite prospect of the top 10. I thought he had star potential all around and that he could eventually learn the PG position. I’m not sure it would’ve ever worked here with Booker defensively but they would have formed such a dynamic backcourt offensively...

Dejounte Murray is another guy many people liked. And of course he dropped all the way to the Spurs and they get a steal with him. Same with Lonnie Walker this year.

I’m gonna make a bold prediction that Zizic (23rd pick) and Siakam (27th pick) actually end up better than Bender and Chriss. It may actually not be all that bold saying it now :p

Jamal Murray is already a star in my opinion or at least will be starting next season. He handles and shot making ability is excellent plus he was clutch last year. He will be right there with Booker and Mitchell.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
In what way? Sabonis is a slightly above average player and will likely never rise about that but Chriss is in Bender territory. Chriss still has considerable untapped potential but he's given us very little reason to believe he will ever approach it.

Chriss is not in Bender territory, you need to back up that claim because by any measure Chriss is rather close to an average player unlike Bender who is bottom of the barell by RPM, PER and whatever measure you want to apply.

By RPM
http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/2/sort/RPM/position/6

Chriss is 59th of 84 Power Forwards at -1.6. Bender is 82nd at -3.7 only ahead of TJ Leaf and Semi Ojeleye.

The difference between Chriss and Bender is as big as the difference between Chriss and Favors/Randle.

By defensive Rating Chriss is tied for the best on the Suns roster with Shaq Harrison.
On the other hand only Ulis, Booker, Peters and Daniels had a worse defensive rating than Bender.

By defensive BPM Chriss ranks again first on the Suns at +1.3. Bender is at 0.0 behind Chriss, Len, Chandler and Harrison.

By PER Chriss is at 11.1 which is only down because of how badly he shot until the allstar break most of his other stats are up. ( rebounding% from 10.8 to 13.8, assist% from 5.2 to 8.1, block% from 3.2 to 3.7, DBPM from 0 to 1.3.

By per Bender is still at a horrendous 7.1 and statistically he is gotten worse across the board except for 3pt% which is wildly inconsistent. (his rebounding%, block% and steal% all declined)

We were 5-32 when Bender started. We only beat Dallas and Sacramento when they hard tanked at the end of the season, Dallas again, Memphis and Chicago.

We were 17-31 when Chriss started.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chriss is not in Bender territory, you need to back up that claim because by any measure Chriss is rather close to an average player unlike Bender who is bottom of the barell by RPM, PER and whatever measure you want to apply.

I'll admit, I thought they were closer together. By the eye test, I'd put them in the same performance bucket. Looking at stats, Chriss has a clear advantage but he is FAR from an average player. Hollinger has him tied with Tyler Ennis at 268 (Bender is tied with Ntilikina at 342 - Yikes!!!)

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

By RPM
http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/2/sort/RPM/position/6

Chriss is 59th of 84 Power Forwards at -1.6. Bender is 82nd at -3.7 only ahead of TJ Leaf and Semi Ojeleye.

The difference between Chriss and Bender is as big as the difference between Chriss and Favors/Randle.

By defensive Rating Chriss is tied for the best on the Suns roster with Shaq Harrison.
On the other hand only Ulis, Booker, Peters and Daniels had a worse defensive rating than Bender.

By defensive BPM Chriss ranks again first on the Suns at +1.3. Bender is at 0.0 behind Chriss, Len, Chandler and Harrison.

By PER Chriss is at 11.1 which is only down because of how badly he shot until the allstar break most of his other stats are up. ( rebounding% from 10.8 to 13.8, assist% from 5.2 to 8.1, block% from 3.2 to 3.7, DBPM from 0 to 1.3.

By per Bender is still at a horrendous 7.1 and statistically he is gotten worse across the board except for 3pt% which is wildly inconsistent. (his rebounding%, block% and steal% all declined)

We were 5-32 when Bender started. We only beat Dallas and Sacramento when they hard tanked at the end of the season, Dallas again, Memphis and Chicago.

We were 17-31 when Chriss started.

Chriss has better stats with less minutes. Only area where Bender is better is 3pt %. Overall shooting %, Chriss is still better. For me Chriss athleticism makes up for the lack of fundamental defense Bender has. I still like Chriss better, who knows his 3pt % could improve.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chriss has better stats with less minutes. Only area where Bender is better is 3pt %. Overall shooting %, Chriss is still better. For me Chriss athleticism makes up for the lack of fundamental defense Bender has. I still like Chriss better, who knows his 3pt % could improve.

You're probably talking about this season but as they came into the NBA the same year, I think the advantage in minutes goes to Chriss.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
The issue with both Chriss and Bender comes down to attitude - Chriss has too much, and Bender too little. Hopefully, some coaching and a healthy dose of maturity might turn both, or at least one, around before either or both bust out of the league.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think Bogdon wore out his welcome when he did not come over for the 2016-17 season after McDonough encouraged him to do so.

The Suns wanted him on a rookie scale contract. I think we need to give McDonough some credit for drafting him though.

IMO, the Suns doubled down in the draft on Bender and Chriss hoping one would be productive. That was a very weak draft.
Yeah I guess my point was it was a poor draft to be doubling down on. This was a good draft to be doubling down. So I guess it’s kind of a wash.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I guess my point was it was a poor draft to be doubling down on. This was a good draft to be doubling down. So I guess it’s kind of a wash.

As we both aspire, let's hope the Suns doubling down on the 2018 draft turns out to be a good move.

I am going to miss the unprotected Miami pick for a long time, not just for the draft possibilities but the value it presented in a trade.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
As we both aspire, let's hope the Suns doubling down on the 2018 draft turns out to be a good move.

I am going to miss the unprotected Miami pick for a long time, not just for the draft possibilities but the value it presented in a trade.
If Mikal turns out to be special, then that Miami pick DID have value. Not sure why it doesn't have value when it really represents Mikal Bridges.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Mikal turns out to be special, then that Miami pick DID have value. Not sure why it doesn't have value when it really represents Mikal Bridges.

I said the future Miami pick had trade value as well as the value of the pick itself.

I didn't say Bridges does not have value. If Bridges turns into something special it will have been well used.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I said the future Miami pick had trade value as well as the value of the pick itself.

I didn't say Bridges does not have value. If Bridges turns into something special it will have been well used.
But as you know, this way of thinking can lead to 3 years of moaning about not having the pick. If Bridges pans out, and there's no real reason right now to think he won't, then that Miami pick was well used.