Chriss???

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think pre-draft narrative is great until the day of the draft. Then I don't think most Suns fans here give a flying rats behind what that pre-draft narrative was.

That's a ridiculous inference. If Bender or Chriss was putting up great numbers do you really think people give a damn about pre-draft narratives? That makes zero sense.

Suns fans after the draft care about results on the court once they put on the uniform. You would have a leg to stand on if they were night and day players. They are not.

The issue is that neither guy is really living up to potential at this point. Neither guy is showing much of anything. Their status are not night and day difference so people look at intangibles like attitude and other factors.

Oh...and B.S. Chriss is more than slightly better. For a stats guy you seem to be using them only when it fits the narrative. There are plenty of status that are close and again they are not night and day.

Neither have shown much of anything.
Agree with pretty much everything you said here. I personally lean a little towards Chriss over Bender, but even still they have both been so bad that I just don't see enough separation to feel like it is even worth having this debate. They both stink and debating which one stinks less at this point seems pretty arbitrary.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He may have passed on Summer League so he can do this instead.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He may have passed on Summer League so he can do this instead.

According to their Facebook page he will be playing in a game this weekend.

Here's a link to their page, I took a screenshot of the post that says he will be playing. If he got out of Summer League to play in a pro-am, that's super lame. If he specifically asked out of SL to take part in this then they need to move him, ASAP. If there is a huge charity donation, then I might be able to understand, but I'm not seeing anything like that. I don't see how this is more beneficial for his personal development or role with the team than SL play. Priorities are all out of whack.

https://www.facebook.com/theseattleproam

The actual dot com linked on the facebook page doesn't work, it's an expired domain, so all there is are the facebook and twitter pages.

You must be registered for see images attach

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
According to their Facebook page he will be playing in a game this weekend.

Here's a link to their page, I took a screenshot of the post that says he will be playing. If he got out of Summer League to play in a pro-am, that's super lame. If he specifically asked out of SL to take part in this then they need to move him, ASAP. If there is a huge charity donation, then I might be able to understand, but I'm not seeing anything like that. I don't see how this is more beneficial for his personal development or role with the team than SL play. Priorities are all out of whack.

https://www.facebook.com/theseattleproam

The actual dot com linked on the facebook page doesn't work, it's an expired domain, so all there is are the facebook and twitter pages.

I was speculating btw this may have nothing to do with him not participating in summer league.

Gambo reported on the radio last week that he heard that Suns didn’t play Chriss in summer league because he was out of shape and they prioritized wanting to get him in shape over playing basketball. It’s Gambo so take it for fwiw.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was speculating btw this may have nothing to do with him not participating in summer league.

Gambo reported on the radio last week that he heard that Suns didn’t play Chriss in summer league because he was out of shape and they prioritized wanting to get him in shape over playing basketball. It’s Gambo so take it for fwiw.

That's fine, I only took it as speculation. I just thought I'd expand on it with what I found about the SL. Gambo saying he's out of shape isn't a good sign though. Chriss seems to be the Cleveland Cavalier version of Shawn Kemp, and that's troubling.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hard to tell here but this was Chriss at the Suns vs Philly Summer League game. He doesn't appear out of shape but it's tough to see and make a real judgement. Just looking at his though he doesn't look like he did last Summer League when he was definitely carrying an extra 20 pounds or so.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
He looks all right there. I hope at least one of them turns into a decent starter besides Ayton. Don't care which one, but I think Bender shows more promise.

:deadhorse2:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've seen Chriss in summer league video (where he was at the games) and he looked to be in good shape. I think something has to be going on.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Freaking outta shape again?!? Man that’s bad.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Hard to tell here but this was Chriss at the Suns vs Philly Summer League game. He doesn't appear out of shape but it's tough to see and make a real judgement. Just looking at his though he doesn't look like he did last Summer League when he was definitely carrying an extra 20 pounds or so.

He’s sitting down in jeans and T-shirt. You can’t tell anything about what shape he’s in

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Kellan Olson thinks it’s just a minutes thing. If Bender, Chriss and Ayton are all playing someone will get a lot less than the other two. The #1 pick is obviously getting the majority and Chriss is further along than Bender (even though both suck). We’re reading too much into it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kellan Olson thinks it’s just a minutes thing. If Bender, Chriss and Ayton are all playing someone will get a lot less than the other two. The #1 pick is obviously getting the majority and Chriss is further along than Bender (even though both suck). We’re reading too much into it.

I guess there are degrees of suckiness. :mrgreen:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think this is more likely than Gambo's out of shape stuff. I kinda defend Gambo at times but I just don't see it.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It's really simple as to why Bender was in SL and Chriss wasn't. Bender simply needed it more. The reason why they even have Bender in SL was because it was an opportunity for him to get out and play at a lower level of competition and hopefully build some confidence. Chriss doesn't really need that type of development against inferior competition and it wasn't really an environment for working on your BBIQ either.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's really simple as to why Bender was in SL and Chriss wasn't. Bender simply needed it more. The reason why they even have Bender in SL was because it was an opportunity for him to get out and play at a lower level of competition and hopefully build some confidence. Chriss doesn't really need that type of development against inferior competition and it wasn't really an environment for working on your BBIQ either.
Yeah. Kinda. Coach probably wanted to look at them one-at-a-time. That has been the problem from the beginning, its always been about one or the other.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yeah. Kinda. Coach probably wanted to look at them one-at-a-time. That has been the problem from the beginning, its always been about one or the other.
I don't think it was a problem in the beginning though. Neither of them were really ready for big minutes out of the gates and prior to drafting Ayton there was plenty of room for both of them to flourish as they could have manned the center and PF spots. Problem is that neither of them (for different individual reasons) have really developed much thus far. I don't think it was that one was ever in the way of the other though. As that would suggest that one was taking needed minutes from the other and like I said neither was truly ready for big minutes in their first two seasons.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Maybe true, but that logic certainly didn't work last year.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
An excellent observation. They've been treated almost as twins, which tends to lead to one of them being the lesser until they start leading separate lives. In the case of Bender and Chriss, they're not identical twins, but twins nonetheless. :)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It's kind of sad that Ayton is further along than Bender or Chriss at this point. They've been in the league 2 years while he's played 5 Summer League games.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's kind of sad that Ayton is further along than Bender or Chriss at this point. They've been in the league 2 years while he's played 5 Summer League games.

The thought occurred to me the Suns are letting Chriss' agent look for a trade. However, these type things usually leak and I haven't heard anything.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sad, perhaps, but not a surprise. Chriss and Bender were widely proclaimed to be the real projects of that draft class. And history has certainly proved that to be true. Even if they came out in this class they'd head the list of the not ready for prime time players.