Children of Men 2006 film most relevant 2016 film?

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.vulture.com/2016/12/chil...n-c-v-r.html?utm_source=digg&utm_medium=email

Future Shock

Director Alfonso Cuarón revisits Children of Men, his overlooked 2006 masterpiece, which might be the most relevant film of 2016.
By Abraham Riesman

On Christmas day, 2006, a curious twist on the Nativity debuted in a handful of movie theaters. Directed and co-written by Mexican auteur Alfonso Cuarón, Children of Men told the story of (decade-old spoiler alert) a near-future dystopia in which women are inexplicably unable to have babies — a state of affairs upended by the advent of a miraculous pregnancy. The film is set in the deteriorating cities and countryside of southeastern England — vividly rendered with alarming realism and minimal use of sci-fi futurism — amid geopolitical chaos that has led to a massive refugee crisis, which has in turn led an immigrant-fearing and authoritarian U.K. to close its borders to outsiders who seek its shores. Terrorist attacks in European capitals are just routine items in the news crawl. The world stands on the brink, and no one has any clear idea of what can be done. The film, in hindsight, seems like a documentary about a future that, in 2016, finally arrived...

Saw this back then and am surprised to find this article now.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Its a good movie, but I dont understand what it has to do with 2016. The premise of the movie is that women worldwide are unable to become pregnant and as a result the world freaks out because we are trending towards extinction.

Whats that have to do with current society? I think that author is just a super fan. Like Star Wars maniacs when they say Star Wars is a metaphor for Christianity. Shuttup geek, no it isnt. Its a sci movie made with the intention of making money.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Its a good movie, but I dont understand what it has to do with 2016. The premise of the movie is that women worldwide are unable to become pregnant and as a result the world freaks out because we are trending towards extinction.
I thought it was because of feminists and men going their own way (MGOTW - yeah, it's a thing) :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson