Changes for Next Season?

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Their own free agent, swingman Alec Burks, probably will get a better deal in a different place. So might center Nerlens Noel, who is looking for a long-term monstrous deal after being such a shot-blocking warrior for the Knicks in Mitchell Robinson’s absence. The Raptors, Pistons and Kings have interest in Noel.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's amazing to see Bridges shot .425 from three this past season. It didn't feel like it.
It did to me.

He is really good if he's open in the corner. Not so good if he is pressured, and not so good from the top.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
im good with this

It's a better team than last years - but McGee is not enough for big men.

How do we find playing time for Cam Johnson if we sign McDermott?

We just don't need 4 wings of that quality.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I found a reference to Doug McDermott in an Evan Sidery tweet. Maybe it started here?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Ewww! I don't like that line up at all. Javale Mcgee? Really? Are we starting a podcast or trying to win a championship?
That lineup will get us booted in the second round at best.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ewww! I don't like that line up at all. Javale Mcgee? Really? Are we starting a podcast or trying to win a championship?

I wouldn't take opinions from the media overly serious unless we are talking about Shams Charania or Adrian Wojnarowski.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the negotiations are done. Paul for sure but Payne might want to see what he can’t get from another team and if someone is willing to drop 20 a year on him good for him.

the PG market is wayyyyy too saturated for him to get 20, IMO. Conley, Lowry, Dimwiddie, Schroeder, Lonzo just off the top of my head are going to get more suitors and money.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I wouldn't take opinions from the media overly serious unless we are talking about Shams Charania or Adrian Wojnarowski.
Ill wait to see what happens before i go on my rampage.
Joking of course. I'm all in no matter what we do.
I know we will prob go through a revolving door of PG/guards/shooting guards/and shooting guards playing the PF spot until James and Monte are happy with those positions.
Then maybe we can work on getting DA some real help. We cant keep throwing DA out there and saying "ok do the defense DA" its WAY too much for him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the PG market is wayyyyy too saturated for him to get 20, IMO. Conley, Lowry, Dimwiddie, Schroeder, Lonzo just off the top of my head are going to get more suitors and money.

I totally agree and there are many more available. Also Cam Payne is not a starter.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tell him we will pay him with a giant freaking ring.
We are good enough to get through the 2nd round even without someone like Noel and we are vulnerable enough to miss out on the playoffs even with him.

I'm sure this will get argued and probably misinterpreted but you can't really build a championship team, all you can do is put one together that has a chance. Our current "expected" roster has a chance. It would be nice to improve those chances but not doing so doesn't mean we're doomed and improving those chances doesn't mean we'll win it all.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ill wait to see what happens before i go on my rampage.
Joking of course. I'm all in no matter what we do.
I know we will prob go through a revolving door of PG/guards/shooting guards/and shooting guards playing the PF spot until James and Monte are happy with those positions.
Then maybe we can work on getting DA some real help. We cant keep throwing DA out there and saying "ok do the defense DA" its WAY too much for him.

We need a good rampage. ;)

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think JJ is content with our depth at 4, it's the backup 5 that's the real issue. With Crowder starting and Cameron backing him up, we don't have a lot of minutes for another power forward. The fact that they are both undersized for that position makes our need for a quality backup 5 even more apparent.

BTW, I haven't heard anyone mention Torrey Craig. If we sign him that's another guy along with the rumored McDermott that can spend time at the 4 alongside a true big man.

In terms of McDermott, do you honestly want a rotation guy averaging 1 rebound a game playing the 4.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are good enough to get through the 2nd round even without someone like Noel and we are vulnerable enough to miss out on the playoffs even with him.

I'm sure this will get argued and probably misinterpreted but you can't really build a championship team, all you can do is put one together that has a chance. Our current "expected" roster has a chance. It would be nice to improve those chances but not doing so doesn't mean we're doomed and improving those chances doesn't mean we'll win it all.

Exactly. This was the Suns team of last season.

I think Monty realized the Suns were a top four team early but I don't think Robert Sarver and James Jones did until it was too late to make changes.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes but they have less of a chance. Getting back is one of the hardest things to do. Look at the last 30 years of Finals matchups. Plus, teams like the Lakers are pulling out all the stops. If the Suns don't make some additional moves it's going to be even harder this year. Staying pat with what we have isn't going to get it done IMO. I have no doubt we make the playoffs, have one of the best records and are very good. However, we need to get better big depth.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of Nicolas Batum? He could be a Robert Horry-ish PF for this team. Good outside shooter. Has size. Not the best rebounder but a smart big who can stretch the floor.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of Nicolas Batum? He could be a Robert Horry-ish PF for this team. Good outside shooter. Has size. Not the best rebounder but a smart big who can stretch the floor.

Bantum really impressed me when he played for the Clippers. I like him a lot.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

For BAE money, I like it. We almost have 2 of those available once we get the disabled player exception for Saric tomorrow or the next day. We can't apply for it until tomorrow.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
You can’t speak that name here :)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For BAE money, I like it. We almost have 2 of those available once we get the disabled player exception for Saric tomorrow or the next day. We can't apply for it until tomorrow.

he’s a better version of Saric, IMO.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes but they have less of a chance. Getting back is one of the hardest things to do. Look at the last 30 years of Finals matchups. Plus, teams like the Lakers are pulling out all the stops. If the Suns don't make some additional moves it's going to be even harder this year. Staying pat with what we have isn't going to get it done IMO. I have no doubt we make the playoffs, have one of the best records and are very good. However, we need to get better big depth.

Yeah, I said that. And I agree we need better big man depth. But we don't have a lot of assets to play around with. I'm just contesting the idea that we should just pack it in if we can't get two perfect big men to fill out the roster.

I think we add a big in the next week or so and another big man in February or March. Neither move is likely to make us the favorites, they'll just give us a chance to see the finals again.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In terms of McDermott, do you honestly want a rotation guy averaging 1 rebound a game playing the 4.

It's 3 rebounds in 24 minutes. There is no reason to exagerate.

I mean, yeah he is not a four. Can you get away with playing him at the four in the regular season - probably. But if we want to win in the playoffs it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave