Changes for Next Season?

OP
OP
Raindog

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I can't argue with any of those. I think Chris Paul will still be a highly effective player for at least another season.

If we had anything remotely resembling decent size besides Ayton this year, we would have won it all, no question.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Dont do nothing stupid
We were in 4..5..6..
We couldnt close the deal
Something we did all year.
Game 5 is a blowout 9-10 times
Unfortunately we were the 1

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Max out Ayton and spend an offseason actually designing an offensive game plan with him included as a primary scoring option.

Re-sign CP3 to a three year extension

Re-sign Payne

Apologize profusely to Jevon Carter for not using him when the team needed toughness in spurts in the backcourt

Get an assistant to replace Willie Green who specializes in low post players and rebounding technique.

Sign/trade for a back up big whose primary role is defense and being physical underneath.

Develop the hell out of Stix.

We win the championship with more size and better big coaching.

Agree with everything except the first suggestion. You just know Ayton is going to take the money and run...

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One of the problems is the Suns don't have a lot of assets to trade unless they move a key player. They definitely need 2-3 more big men and a third point guard. If the Suns had drafted Haliburton their window would be wide open.
Liked Halliburton. Not to give up on Stixs but man I just don’t see it

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Paul opts out of his $44,211,146 contract for next season he can sign a new contract so it's so it's not an extension. It would be a new contract. Hopefully the Suns can sign him for a lesser amount per season.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Suns should get Ben Simmons.

Don’t know what it would take to get him, but they should do it. Seriously.

They need a big guy. The need a playmaker. They need more defense.

They need everything he’s good at. If Phillys gonna be dumb and dump him the suns should seriously consider it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Liked Halliburton. Not to give up on Stixs but man I just don’t see it

I don't understand why the Suns didn't draft Haliburton. This team would be loaded for the future if they had with money to spend if Paul left and only needing depth at the 4/5 plus a third point guard.

I hope Stix shows more this summer but I'm not counting on it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns should get Ben Simmons.

Don’t know what it would take to get him, but they should do it. Seriously.

They need a big guy. The need a playmaker. They need more defense.

They need everything he’s good at. If Phillys gonna be dumb and dump him the suns should seriously consider it.
It’s a risk having two guys on your roster with mental blocks at times but it might be a risk you have to take.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Agree with everything except the first suggestion. You just know Ayton is going to take the money and run...
I’m confident in saying that he’s not that type of player and that even if he was like that, the supports around him wouldn’t allow for it.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I’m confident in saying that he’s not that type of player and that even if he was like that, the supports around him wouldn’t allow for it.

What makes you so confident? Everything about his play in Tucson and now in Phoenix suggests otherwise...

TJ

Reaction score
What makes you so confident? Everything about his play in Tucson and now in Phoenix suggests otherwise...
Bulking up 30+ lbs the summer before college, playing All-American basketball as a freshman (amidst bulls**t news reports in his periphery), becoming one of the NBA’s best rebounders and interior defenders, sacrificing part of his offensive game for the betterment of the team, and being receptive to (and asking for) tough coaching. Amongst other things I’ve seen and heard.

The lengths his current and former coaches will go to praise him is enough reassurance on its own, but there’s much, much more

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They might not have a choice as the clips are limited to what they can do. He's a efa meaning the max the clips can offer around $12 mill a year. He's trying to go for a big payday

And there's no way we can offer a bigger payday. So again, why pine after him?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bulking up 30+ lbs the summer before college, playing All-American basketball as a freshman (amidst bulls**t news reports in his periphery), becoming one of the NBA’s best rebounders and interior defenders, sacrificing part of his offensive game for the betterment of the team, and being receptive to (and asking for) tough coaching. Amongst other things I’ve seen and heard.

The lengths his current and former coaches will go to praise him is enough reassurance on its own, but there’s much, much more

And yet through all of this, his effort and intensity on the court has remained inconsistent. Perhaps I have misstated what's wrong with him. Perhaps it is not a bad attitude or lack of heart, but rather that he is just too nice and has too laid back of a personality to play with the toughness needed to be a great NBA center. David Robinson was the ultimate nice guy off the court, but in games he would flip the switch and be a relentless SOB. I have seen nothing to indicate that Ayton has that switch for games, at least not on any consistent or reliable basis...

TJ

Reaction score
And yet through all of this, his effort and intensity on the court has remained inconsistent. Perhaps I have misstated what's wrong with him. Perhaps it is not a bad attitude or lack of heart, but rather that he is just too nice and has too laid back of a personality to play with the toughness needed to be a great NBA center. David Robinson was the ultimate nice guy off the court, but in games he would flip the switch and be a relentless SOB. I have seen nothing to indicate that Ayton has that switch for games, at least not on any consistent or reliable basis...

Hes young and not a primary option on offense, which is why I emphasized coaching bigs (not just DA) in my offseason priorities. If you task him with doing more than just screens, dives and dribble handoffs, you’ll see a young player with more to play for.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hes young and not a primary option on offense, which is why I emphasized coaching bigs (not just DA) in my offseason priorities. If you task him with doing more than just screens, dives and dribble handoffs, you’ll see a young player with more to play for.

He was THE primary option in Tucson.

Meanwhile, an NBA championship is not enough to play for?

TJ

Reaction score
He was THE primary option in Tucson...
And in Tucson, he was an All-American, conference POY averaging 20-12 as a freshman. That’s with Trier on the team who averaged 17 and wouldn’t pass a bowel if it weren’t a medical necessity.

Figured there would be some resistance about Ayton, but you’re trying to dig into a successful collegiate year to find something you won’t find. That’s next-level haterade.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And in Tucson, he was an All-American, conference POY averaging 20-12 as a freshman. That’s with Trier on the team who averaged 17 and wouldn’t pass a bowel if it weren’t a medical necessity.

And yet you saw the total lack of effort in a number of instances, particularly the NCAA Tournament embarrassment against Buffalo, where once again he refused to play physically against a smaller opponent.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't understand why the Suns didn't draft Haliburton. This team would be loaded for the future if they had with money to spend if Paul left and only needing depth at the 4/5 plus a third point guard.

I hope Stix shows more this summer but I'm not counting on it.

Stix is exactly what we need, really. A tall, rebounding, rim protecting, floor spacing Power Forward to play next to Ayton.

If he can become a starter at the 4 it will be massive for this team. Jae should be a backup 3 - 4.

TJ

Reaction score
And yet you saw the total lack of effort in a number of instances, particularly the NCAA Tournament embarrassment against Buffalo, where once again he refused to play physically against a smaller opponent.
You’ve already developed the notion that Ayton lacks effort in your head and won’t budge even with the accolades I presented. Fair. Not going to try and sway you otherwise. But to draw sweeping generalizations about him is a big silly

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stix is exactly what we need, really. A tall, rebounding, rim protecting, floor spacing Power Forward to play next to Ayton.

If he can become a starter at the 4 it will be massive for this team. Jae should be a backup 3 - 4.

I really liked what I saw of Stix in college. He has a ways to go to be a starter or a rotation player in the NBA. I hope he develops.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You’ve already developed the notion that Ayton lacks effort in your head and won’t budge even with the accolades I presented. Fair. Not going to try and sway you otherwise. But to draw sweeping generalizations about him is a big silly

I am not saying it is that way 100% of the time. We KNOW there are games where Ayton plays like a man possessed. Unfortunately, those games and too few and far between. The problem is that in the NBA, and especially in the playoffs culminating in the NBA finals, the effort and intensity from the core/star players need to be consistent and reliable. And with Ayton they never have been. Ever. There have always been games - important, critical games - where he coasts. Building a team around a player like that and paying a player like that max money is a recipe for perpetual disappointment, in my opinion.