Changes for Next Season?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've never seen anything tangible about it although I've heard the rumor and read the thread. IMO, it's all rumor until substantiated. If major media sources have talked about it there should be a source.

like I said we’ve gone over this and posted links on this very board. Bottom line we didn’t draft him so why you still cling to this I have no idea you’ve probably dropped his name 5x since last night

nothings going to change the fact we didn’t draft him

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've read Paul may be looking for a 3 year $100M extension, if that's the case then you do that if your PHX as it lowers his cap hit from $44M.

I would look into Kelly Olynk to play PF next year. Good offensive big who provides a little defense but would be an upgrade over Dario and Crowder. He is may be willing to take less here to start and have a shot at a ring.

Noel seems more realistic than Portis and is a better defender but Portis has shooting range and that cannot be undervalued from a big in the playoffs as we have seen first hand.

I would draft Ayo Dosunmu to groom as PGOTF. He could be this year's Haliburton.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've read Paul may be looking for a 3 year $100M extension, if that's the case then you do that if your PHX as it lowers his cap hit from $44M.

I would look into Kelly Olynk to play PF next year. Good offensive big who provides a little defense but would be an upgrade over Dario and Crowder. He is may be willing to take less here to start and have a shot at a ring.

Noel seems more realistic than Portis and is a better defender but Portis has shooting range and that cannot be undervalued from a big in the playoffs as we have seen first hand.

I would draft Ayo Dosunmu to groom as PGOTF. He could be this year's Haliburton.

hell no you don’t commit 3 years 100 million to a 37 year old player who would be in his 19th season at the end of that deal. You don’t handicap our young core for one old guy that money would be better spent chasing down a young star to go with our young guys.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
like I said we’ve gone over this and posted links on this very board. Bottom line we didn’t draft him so why you still cling to this I have no idea you’ve probably dropped his name 5x since last night

nothings going to change the fact we didn’t draft him

I do agree we need to move on but it's the claim of unsubstantiated sources that keeps the conversation going. Maybe just leave it as a rumor?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hell no you don’t commit 3 years 100 million to a 37 year old player who would be in his 19th season at the end of that deal. You don’t handicap our young core for one old guy that money would be better spent chasing down a young star to go with our young guys.

Chris Paul turned 36 in May.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns are in position where they almost have to do if it's close to that amount. Devin Booker is not wanting to go backwards.

I'm good with drafting a point guard or a big man.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chris Paul turned 36 in May.

ok so he’s still 36 and past his prime let’s commit 3 years and 100 million dollars to him seems smart

if your going to spend 100 million you got to do it on a young star who fits with the timeline.

can’t make money decisions with your heart.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok so he’s still 36 and past his prime let’s commit 3 years and 100 million dollars to him seems smart

if your going to spend 100 million you got to do it on a young star who fits with the timeline.

I'm not in disagreement with your take but the Suns put themselves in this position. Booker has made it clear he wants championship basketball.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not in disagreement with your take but the Suns put themselves in this position. Booker has made it clear he wants championship basketball.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

and history tells us Chris Paul ain’t the answer to winning in the playoffs.

Book gots to go network in Tokyo

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and history tells us Chris Paul ain’t the answer to winning in the playoffs.

Book gots to go network in Tokyo

I'm open to every option but my gut feeling is the Suns dance with the date that brought them.

Unless Paul re-signs with the Suns and does a sign and trade there are not many better choices.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
All it takes is one bad game from any Suns player to get the ball rolling.
Or a closeout game of the nba finals where Ayton goes for 12 points, 6 rebounds, shoots 33% and gives up the majority of 50pts on the other end. :shrug:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All it takes is one bad game from any Suns player to get the ball rolling.
Yep. The Suns seems to all take turns disappearing whether it was one of our big three or the bench. The last 4 games, outside of a quarter run here or there just seemed to be unable to put it together at the same time.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I thought this board was done with the garbage Ayton takes, but alas, here we are. ‍♂️

This is ridiculous. There is nothing hypothetical about the Suns' potential/abilities. These guys are proven winners at this point.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or a closeout game of the nba finals where Ayton goes for 12 points, 6 rebounds, shoots 33% and gives up the majority of 50pts on the other end. :shrug:
Yep. The Suns seems to all take turns disappearing whether it was one of our big three or the bench. The last 4 games, outside of a quarter run here or there just seemed to be unable to put it together at the same time.

I was mainly talking about how fans can be fickle. Often a player on the forum is only as good as their last game.

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
I think they definitely need new big man coaching for Ayton. Tough decision on what to do with Paul. Will other teams even be willing to give him that much money knowing his teams are playoff chokers?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they definitely need new big man coaching for Ayton. Tough decision on what to do with Paul. Will other teams even be willing to give him that much money knowing his teams are playoff chokers?

Kyle Lowry should help set the market for Paul. He is a year younger so I think Paul will get slightly less than Lowry.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's so hard to fathom this but the Suns training camp for next season is about 9 1/2 weeks away. Usually we will have been done with the season nearly 2 months earlier without participation in the playoffs.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
In this series we needed more size. It wouldn’t hurt us to have more. Guys like AD and Giannis are they type we really struggle against. But I agree with player development. That will be huge as well as just this postseason experience.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are the players under contract for the Suns next season.

I'd like to keep Cam Payne and I wouldn't mind Frank Kaminsky occupying the 15th slot.

Ty-Shon Alexander could also come back.

Presently under contract:

Chris Paul (player option)

Devin Booker

Deandre Ayton

Jae Crowder

Dario Saric

Mikal Bridges

Jalen Smith

Cameron Johnson

Jevon Carter

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going up 2-0 in a series and then losing 4 straight games is a choke job however you want to slice it. Giannis was unstoppable. So why wasn't our unstoppable star/stars?

we don’t have unstoppable stars. Giannis is a pantheon level talent. None of our guys possess the ceiling he has.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Who do you replace Paul with to ensure we don’t backslide? With a young talented team we need to make sure they continue to develop as a playoff team and contenders. I don’t see alternatives to Paul. And if Paul is still on our roster in three years the core is hitting their peaks and hopefully Paul is a backup role to, or a timeshare with, a developed/developing PGOF.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose