Changes for Next Season?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is ridiculous. There is nothing hypothetical about the Suns' potential/abilities. These guys are proven winners at this point.
You don’t think Ayton’s value is still based largely on his potential? I think of course it is. He’s got a terrific base as a strong defender and rebounder with some offense. But his averages for the year were just okay. He had better play in the playoffs but fell off again in the finals. He’s not who he should, and hopefully will, be as a finished product - and that means his value is greatly driven by potential.

same said for Bridges and cam Johnson. Booker not so much.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Going up 2-0 in a series and then losing 4 straight games is a choke job however you want to slice it. Giannis was unstoppable. So why wasn't our unstoppable star/stars?
I'm not so sure I buy this Stout.

Team ball is much easier to see and understand in the NFL. But unstoppable forces usually carry the show in the NBA Finals. Giannis (by sheer will) carried these guys to a title.

I will say that the last 4 minutes of game 4 was tough to swallow and we could have won that. But to say we choked when we shot over 60% in game 5 (50% from three) and still lost is an insane bar to clear IMO.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
So here is my take.

It took an unimaginable confluence of events for our playoff run. I am very sad we didn't take advantage and win the title because I just don't see that happening again very soon.

When the Cards went to the Super Bowl I called every game of the NFC playoffs before they began to a friend of mine as "what needed to happen" for us to play in the Super Bowl. It happened... We got the Panthers in the divisional round after the eagles beat the Vikings on the road and then the Eagles beat the giants in NY giving us home field for the NFC Championship game.

In the NBA..... It can't be ignored all of the injuries that occurred. AD, Murray, Kawahi, etc. Do we beat the Lakers if AD stays healthy? Not sure. Do we get the Clips if the Mitchell injury doesn't happen?

Many factors.

All of that being said........ I just think it will be very hard for this window to stay open as Paul ages. Especially a finals push after he's already shown throughout his career to not be able to handle the grind over time.

I have bad opinions today. :-/

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A third point guard (assuming the Suns keep Paul and Payne) is as important as adding more depth at the 4/5.

The Suns have to plan for injury and rest if they keep Paul.

Jevon Carter is not that player.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How could anyone not want to extend CP3? Did they see these young guys before he got here? Do they want empty stats Booker/Ayton again? No thanks. PAY THE MAN.

yeah. Anyone saying they should let him walk needs to also admit they’re fine with us never making the playoffs again in the next couple years. We don’t really have a choice here if we want the Suns to continue to be competitive.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
yeah. Anyone saying they should let him walk needs to also admit they’re fine with us never making the playoffs again in the next couple years. We don’t really have a choice here if we want the Suns to continue to be competitive.
After the Nuggets and Clippers series nobody would’ve pushed back against it. The problem is expecting the impending injury/weirdness when it matters most…. but it’s still beats the alternative.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After the Nuggets and Clippers series nobody would’ve pushed back against it. The problem is expecting the impending injury/weirdness when it matters most…. but it’s still beats the alternative.

yup. Not to mention, how will Devin Booker feel if they get to the Finals and then Sarver refuses to pay CP3 and we fall apart again next year?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Turning Booker into a legit 3pt shooter.

This might be the thing that makes the most difference for the entire team. Problem is I don't see it happening. He is already the best practice 3 point shooter on the team, more time working on it in practice is not likely to make much difference.

His in game shooting feels to me like it must be mental - and I'm not sure how or if that can be fixed.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Signing Ayton to a big money extension is a huge mistake. Trade him for pieces and picks, extend CP3 and build around the backcourt.

It's not a mistake and it is happening, so you better get used to it.

The team needs to make a concerted effort to work on getting him to be able to score by putting the ball on the floor from the elbow and the top of the key. Him being able to do that would make a huge difference for our offense.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This might be the thing that makes the most difference for the entire team. Problem is I don't see it happening. He is already the best practice 3 point shooter on the team, more time working on it in practice is not likely to make much difference.

His in game shooting feels to me like it must be mental - and I'm not sure how or if that can be fixed.

0-7 last night. Book flat out choked last night.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Given his clean mechanics and elite work ethic I just don’t get it. How can an elite shooting guard be a below average 3pt shooter in 2021.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Signing Ayton to a big money extension is a huge mistake. Trade him for pieces and picks, extend CP3 and build around the backcourt.

You know it is really amazing to me how much you seemingly love CP3 now, when at the begining of the season you were his biggest basher.

It is insane to build your team around any 36 year old IMO.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Given his clean mechanics and elite work ethic I just don’t get it. How can an elite shooting guard be a below average 3pt shooter in 2021.
Makes no sense to me either, which is why I think it has to be mental.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

yup. Not to mention, how will Devin Booker feel if they get to the Finals and then Sarver refuses to pay CP3 and we fall apart again next year?
Exactly...... the only way CP3 leaves is if we can get Lillard for him. There are ZERO other options.

p.s. I don't think there's a chance the Blazers would allow it.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
He would fit pretty well, but I strongly think they will keep him somehow.
Bobby Portis may be the most popular player in Milwaukee besides Giannis.

that place LOVES Portis.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed and saric is unlikely to play at all next season

Honestly I don't really consider that a bad thing, other than his contract being stuck on our books.

Will actually force James Jones to get another big, and I really have my doubts he would have if Saric was healthy.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
whatever and whoever it takes, he only makes 19 a year

there are a lot of rumors Indy is going to blow it up

We don't have the pieces to get him, unless you want to give up Ayton - and to me Ayton is the better player or soon will be.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don’t think Ayton’s value is still based largely on his potential? I think of course it is. He’s got a terrific base as a strong defender and rebounder with some offense. But his averages for the year were just okay. He had better play in the playoffs but fell off again in the finals. He’s not who he should, and hopefully will, be as a finished product - and that means his value is greatly driven by potential.

same said for Bridges and cam Johnson. Booker not so much.
I would have agreed until his explosion in the playoffs. Despite his slide at the end he still put up some of the best numbers by a big man in NBA playoff history. Ayton is getting a max contract. If not from the Suns there will be teams lining up. Maybe the Suns should let him become a restricted free agent then match the offer? Not sure that is going to save them money. The only other option is to trade him for something you perceive as better value. Have no clue how or who that would be. The only way he doesn't get a max is if he completely regresses next season.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really think they should try and keep Paul.

I am so torn on this. I think he will be good for us next season - probably. But 2 more seasons after that at big money - just a gigantic risk that is most likely to go bad.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson