Changes for Next Season?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yup. Not to mention, how will Devin Booker feel if they get to the Finals and then Sarver refuses to pay CP3 and we fall apart again next year?
You would think Sarver would have learned a thing or two about ******* off his own players. Hopefully.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am so torn on this. I think he will be good for us next season - probably. But 2 more seasons after that at big money - just a gigantic risk that is most likely to go bad.

I still think the Suns messed up by not extending Amare. Even knowing what I know about his injury, they would've been better off keeping him. They probably would've made the playoffs 2-3 more times instead of zero times for the next decade.

You don't just let a good player go.

Keep good players, stay competitive and maybe get lucky and win a raptors title.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You would think Sarver would have learned a thing or two about ******* off his own players. Hopefully.

Well Book is going to want CP3 back - that probably pushes the scales towards it happening, unless Paul decides he would rather go to the Lakers.

I really think it is more about whether Paul wants to come back than whether the Suns org wants him back, because I really feel Book will force them to resign him whether they want to or not.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Book is going to want CP3 back - that probably pushes the scales towards it happening, unless Paul decides he would rather go to the Lakers.

I really think it is more about whether Paul wants to come back than whether the Suns org wants him back, because I really feel Book will force them to resign him whether they want to or not.
The rumor is the Suns already have a three year contract written up. So the discussion is moot because it sounds like Sarver won't be the reason Paul doesn't come back. If CP3 is not here next year it will be on him.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still think the Suns messed up by not extending Amare. Even knowing what I know about his injury, they would've been better off keeping him. They probably would've made the playoffs 2-3 more times instead of zero times for the next decade.

You don't just let a good player go.

Keep good players, stay competitive and maybe get lucky and win a raptors title.

Here is my question - is Cam Payne or Chris Paul going to be a more valuable player over the next 3 years?

I could really see that going either way. That is a problem when Paul is likely to get more than double the money.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to be honest. Despite what Paul says about the great guys on this team? He has said that over and over on each of his teams and I wouldn't be shocked if he declines and moves on. He is ring chasing now these last three years. Maybe if Sarver/Jones promise him they will make moves that would convince him. I am just not going to be surprised either way (he stays or goes).

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have to be honest. Despite what Paul says about the great guys on this team? He has said that over and over on each of his teams and I wouldn't be shocked if he declines and moves on. He is ring chasing now these last three years. Maybe if Sarver/Jones promise him they will make moves that would convince him. I am just not going to be surprised either way (he stays or goes).

I agree. I think there is at least a 50% chance he goes to the Lakers. I am also not sure that would be a bad thing.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not a mistake and it is happening, so you better get used to it.

The team needs to make a concerted effort to work on getting him to be able to score by putting the ball on the floor from the elbow and the top of the key. Him being able to do that would make a huge difference for our offense.
Here is my question - is Cam Payne or Chris Paul going to be a more valuable player over the next 3 years?

I could really see that going either way. That is a problem when Paul is likely to get more than double the money.
If you’re legitimately asking this question, you know nothing about basketball.

I mean, you kind of already proved that pimping signing Lonzo and letting CP3 walk, but Jesus.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. I think there is at least a 50% chance he goes to the Lakers. I am also not sure that would be a bad thing.
I don't blame guys for ring chasing if they are at the end of a long career and it's the last accomplishment. It's the younger guys that go to these super teams because they don't want it all on their shoulders I take issue with.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He would fit pretty well, but I strongly think they will keep him somehow.

I'm sure they will try. He scored all of the Bucks points (16) off the bench. The Bucks are financially strapped though.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am so torn on this. I think he will be good for us next season - probably. But 2 more seasons after that at big money - just a gigantic risk that is most likely to go bad.

If Paul can have two more good seasons they can always use his contract in trade the third season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Craig is probably gone. He was a great energy guy for us in the first two rounds and parts of the third, but he was awful against the Bucks.

maybe he comes back if there’s no takers for him and we can bring him back on the super cheap, but any big dollars in FA have to go to getting legit big men to help Ayton.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Given his clean mechanics and elite work ethic I just don’t get it. How can an elite shooting guard be a below average 3pt shooter in 2021.
That’s totally fair. I think Book needs to get better arc on his shots. At times he can shoot a bit flat. But it’s not like his misses are tragic. Very fixable. He focuses so much on the midrange that I think he can extend out and get to somewhere between 36-40%. Also, how many foot on the line 2’s has he hit lol. This was his first playoffs. I thought our ceiling was WCF. We were maybe 4 possessions away from winning a championship. Book is a dog! I’ll ride with him any day of the week.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

This team with Cam Payne or Dennis Schroeder starting at the point instead of CP3 is back to being a lottery team. At that point, kiss Devin Booker goodbye, and we are back to being the laughing stock of the NBA.

It is imperative, now that we have finally clawed our way back to respectability, that the team either keep CP3 or find a way to parlay him into someone like Damian Lillard, Kyle Lowry, Russell Westbrook, Ben Simmons or Kemba Walker plus another rotation player.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard that a three year $105 million contract from the Suns might be a compromise solution.

If Paul should not return this would give the Suns $27 million in cap space.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do agree we need to move on but it's the claim of unsubstantiated sources that keeps the conversation going. Maybe just leave it as a rumor?
Then how will we distinguish if from actual rumors? We've seen nothing direct from the player or the organization but it has been reported many times from sources that we usually accept as legitimate (such as Woj) - and it first came out either just before the draft or early that night, it's not a rationalization after the fact.

In addition to having been passed along by the usual names, not once have I heard it challenged, not by any source. The only rebuttal I've heard to this story is that it just shouldn't have mattered, we should have drafted him against his will anyway.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Then how will we distinguish if from actual rumors? We've seen nothing direct from the player or the organization but it has been reported many times from sources that we usually accept as legitimate (such as Woj) - and it first came out either just before the draft or early that night, it's not a rationalization after the fact.

In addition to having been passed along by the usual names, not once have I heard it challenged, not by any source. The only rebuttal I've heard to this story is that it just shouldn't have mattered, we should have drafted him against his will anyway.
This. The 10th pick in the draft has zero leverage. And after the run we went in, why WOULDN’T he want to be a sun now???

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I've heard that a three year $105 million contract from the Suns might be a compromise solution.

If Paul should not return this would give the Suns $27 million in cap space.
I could see him opting in and signing a smaller two year extension beyond 22’ to keep the salary down for other players getting raises.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you’re legitimately asking this question, you know nothing about basketball.

I mean, you kind of already proved that pimping signing Lonzo and letting CP3 walk, but Jesus.

I think you are having a lot of trouble recognizing how badly CP3 is going to deteriorate over the next 3 years.

Think MJ on the Wizards, or Vince Carter on the Hawks, or Jamal Crawford on the Suns. It's not pretty.

I am of course not saying Cam Payne is superior today.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think you are having a lot of trouble recognizing how badly CP3 is going to deteriorate over the next 3 years.

Think MJ on the Wizards, or Vince Carter on the Hawks, or Jamal Crawford on the Suns. It's not pretty.

I am of course not saying Cam Payne is superior today.
Vince Carter and Jamal Crawford had already been deteriorating. And how dare you compare them at that point in their careers to Chris Paul. They are light years worse than Paul at 36!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could see him opting in and signing a smaller two year extension beyond 22’ to keep the salary down for other players getting raises.

This is an interesting take but Paul would likely receive something in the range of $105 million over three seasons if he opts out. So he would be betting he could recoup $60 million over two seasons after his player option expires. This is very risky if he is concerned about money.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team with Cam Payne or Dennis Schroeder starting at the point instead of CP3 is back to being a lottery team. At that point, kiss Devin Booker goodbye, and we are back to being the laughing stock of the NBA.

It is imperative, now that we have finally clawed our way back to respectability, that the team either keep CP3 or find a way to parlay him into someone like Damian Lillard, Kyle Lowry, Russell Westbrook, Ben Simmons or Kemba Walker plus another rotation player.

A lottery team really?

How did that team go up on the Clippers 2-0 then?

Lowry is the same age and a worse player - that would just be stupid.
I would never want Ben Simmons on my team unless he was signed to near the minimum. Players that cannot shoot do not help you in the NBA
Kemba Walker has a ruined knee - no way is he a good idea.
Westbrook is not a team player and is old also.
Lillard is going to cost a lot more than CP3 but if a mikal and CP3 package did the trick - sure why not.

I guess you guys refuse to understand my point. Here it is again - We need a young point guard to go with the rest of our young core, locking up CP3 to a big dollar contract locks our roster into place. I do not believe this roster is good enough to win a title when CP3 will be deteriorating each year which will counteract any improvement in the rest of our young core.