Changes for Next Season?

Hoop Head

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I believe RE-signing Paul is the only thing to do with him… however, I’d be lying if I said that doesn’t entirely thrill me. I don’t question CP3’s influence on this team, and his ability to lead and guide and mentor our young studs… but, he’ll be 37 come the playoffs next season. After watching how he broke down this year and how a player like Holiday beat him down virtually into submission, we better hope Cam Payne takes a significant leap forward, or James Jones pulls a rabbit out of his hat and acquires a more reliable back-up to Paul. Certainly, Paul will see significantly less mins in the regular season… he has to in order to ensure we have the most healthy and rested version of CP3 for our next post season run!

I dont get this bashing Paul or saying hes done because Holiday made him work hard while he was already dealing with an injury. Jrue Holiday has been 1st Team All Defense twice and 2nd Team once in the last 4 years. He's not some scrub. He's legitimately a top 5 defender in this league.

Finito

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I dont get this bashing Paul or saying hes done because Holiday made him work hard while he was already dealing with an injury. Jrue Holiday has been 1st Team All Defense twice and 2nd Team once in the last 4 years. He's not some scrub. He's legitimately a top 5 defender in this league.

all time greats don’t struggle with Jrue Holiday period. It’s not that he made him work it’s that he dominated him at points.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
They need to add a banger since it’s unlikely Ayton will all of a sudden start playing with an aggressive attitude.

Magic is already lobbying Paul to sign with the Lakers.

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They need to add a banger since it’s unlikely Ayton will all of a sudden start playing with an aggressive attitude.

I agree about the banger part in plural. Players like Bobby Portis.

The Suns starters are solid but they need more 4/5s that can play when teams go big.

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score
all time greats don’t struggle with Jrue Holiday period. It’s not that he made him work it’s that he dominated him at points.

Holiday got away with lots of fouls not that this is going to change. Without fouling Holiday cannot do this. Except Holiday's fouls were not as blatantly obvious as Beverley.

Finito

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Holiday got away with lots of fouls not that this is going to change. Without fouling Holiday cannot do this. Except Holiday's fouls were not as blatantly obvious as Beverley.

hes a physical guy. It’s the finals

the refs ain’t why Paul struggled

AzStevenCal

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Beverley is a decent defender but much of what he does is dirty, Holiday just plays the game the way it used to be officiated not so many years ago. After last year's playoffs and this postseason, I'm guessing the pendulum is swinging back to a more physical game. So we need to adjust, with the players we have and with the players we try to bring in.

Finito

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Magic is already lobbying Paul to sign with the Lak

name me an all star Magic hasn’t predicted going to the Lakers. He’s a clown

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I said the Holiday gets away with fouling. He has a reputation of playing physical. Paul or Booker would get called for fouls on the same type of plays.

AzStevenCal

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It wasn't all because of Holiday either. The refs allowed Jrue to play him physically but CP3 used to shine when that happened - he's no longer quick enough to make Holiday pay for it. He has to be able to get a little separation from Jrue to put the holding and bumping under the spotlight. But the real problem was Paul's defense and that looked to be more because of his arm injuries.

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beverley is a decent defender but much of what he does is dirty, Holiday just plays the game the way it used to be officiated not so many years ago. After last year's playoffs and this postseason, I'm guessing the pendulum is swinging back to a more physical game. So we need to adjust, with the players we have and with the players we try to bring in.

We do not disagree about Beverley. Holiday is like Beverley without the blatantly flagrant stuff.

Chris Paul is not going to change his game and I doubt the refereeing in the playoffs is going to change either.

If the Suns want to change they should be looking at players like Lonzo Ball as Finito suggested or better depth at point guard.

AzStevenCal

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We do not disagree about Beverley. Holiday is like Beverley without the blatantly flagrant stuff.

Chris Paul is not going to change his game and I doubt the refereeing in the playoffs is going to change either.

If the Suns want to change they should be looking at players like Lonzo Ball as Finito suggested.
I think that's the big difference but IMO Holiday is a legit defender under any style of officiating - PB is handcuffed by decent refereeing, something we saw little of when we played the Clippers.

Not that I'm in favor of this but if we part ways with Paul, I think we're more likely to see either Reggie Jackson or Dennis Schroder. I say that because Paul would prefer LA and I'm assuming a sign and trade could be worked out.

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that's the big difference but IMO Holiday is a legit defender under any style of officiating - PB is handcuffed by decent refereeing, something we saw little of when we played the Clippers.

Not that I'm in favor of this but if we part ways with Paul, I think we're more likely to see either Reggie Jackson or Dennis Schroder. I say that because Paul would prefer LA and I'm assuming a sign and trade could be worked out.

I'd seriously consider this but I think the ship has already sailed on Chris Paul and he will be back.

If the Suns keep Paul the only fix I can think of is to throw more depth and shot creators behind Paul.

AzStevenCal

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd seriously consider this but I think the ship has already sailed on Chris Paul and he will be back.

If the Suns keep Paul the only fix I can think of is to throw more depth and shot creators behind Paul.
I really thought we had some decent backup guards (not great, but decent), Monty put them on ice for the playoffs for some reason. I guess we need to find some backup guards that Monty believes in enough to use them regularly. But I believe if we move on from him Carter will find a home somewhere and make our lives miserable for a decade to come.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I really thought we had some decent backup guards (not great, but decent), Monty put them on ice for the playoffs for some reason. I guess we need to find some backup guards that Monty believes in enough to use them regularly. But I believe if we move on from him Carter will find a home somewhere and make our lives miserable for a decade to come.

Carter's offensive game is so limited i highly doubt that happens. And who would he have guarded had he received playing time? Jrue wasn't much of a scoring threat, and he doesn't have the size to guard Middleton or Giannis.