Changes for Next Season?

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t had the opportunity to go through the entire thread yet so this may be well treaded ground.

Differential in Free Throw Attempts:
In two Suns wins: Suns +1 (Suns win by 23 total)
In four Bucks wins: Bucks +36 (Bucks win by 37 total)

I will leave it up to the reader to form their own opinion on whether that is due to play style or due to inappropriately tilted star calls, because that isn’t the point. The point is that the league isn’t going to change how they call games any time soon so the Suns have to adapt to that reality if they’re going to have another shot at a title. The Suns either need A) an aggressive defender who through skill and/or reputation doesn’t pick up many whistles, or B) a power forward who can draw calls of their own. Suspect the former would be a little easier to find.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that’s not Paul “forcing” a trade. That’s the suns doing a deal bc they want to. There’s a big difference.
Well he is leaving and the net result would be the Suns making a trade they didn't intend to make. I guess you are right it's not technically a forced trade. Back to the topic, I still think it's very very small chance. Yes, Paul is ring chasing but he also wants to get paid. The Lakers would ask him for a discount in exchange for playing for a ring. I don't see this SaT happening.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lonzo Ball is a restricted free agent for the Pelicans.
I know. I was referencing the proposed deal from the post compared to the other thoughts about going after Ball. Two different ideas. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I like Lonzo as a fallback but CP3 ain’t leaving so it’s moot. It’s funny how much these tv/radio shows are speculating on CP3 to LA with zero understanding of the salary cap. This isn’t baseball.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Dump him yes. But we won't be dumb and dump him. The Sixers know what we have (or don't have) in him, and as much as I would gladly drive him to the airport, I want assets in return that make us better, not just bodies and late round first rounders.
I read that reply three times before I deduced that you must be a 76ers fan.

I hope you're wrong and the 76ers decide that all they really want is to reunite Embiid and Saric.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I haven’t had the opportunity to go through the entire thread yet so this may be well treaded ground.

Differential in Free Throw Attempts:
In two Suns wins: Suns +1 (Suns win by 23 total)
In four Bucks wins: Bucks +36 (Bucks win by 37 total)

I will leave it up to the reader to form their own opinion on whether that is due to play style or due to inappropriately tilted star calls, because that isn’t the point. The point is that the league isn’t going to change how they call games any time soon so the Suns have to adapt to that reality if they’re going to have another shot at a title. The Suns either need A) an aggressive defender who through skill and/or reputation doesn’t pick up many whistles, or B) a power forward who can draw calls of their own. Suspect the former would be a little easier to find.
I'd like to see Ayton try Giannis' strategy of running straight into people to draw fouls.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I love what this team is today. From top to bottom. The only thing I would like them to do is get another big man to sub with Ayton. Keep everyone you can and just keep the chemistry.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love what this team is today. From top to bottom. The only thing I would like them to do is get another big man to sub with Ayton. Keep everyone you can and just keep the chemistry.

I agree with this 110%

We need bench depth. Most obviously in our frontcourt with a Center who can post up down low, rebound, and isn't a total liability on D. If they can play PF alongside Ayton that would be awesome but that's not a requirement like the previous skills should be.

If Cam Payne is brought back then we'll be fine at PG otherwise I trust we can find a backup PG who is better than Etwaun Moore. Someone like a DJ Augustine or George Hill would work.

A bonus would be a wing who is better at creating his own shot than Craig, Mikal, Cam J, and Crowder. They need to be quick enough to play SG also. Nader wouldn't be a bad fall back but I think we could find an upgrade to him.

None of those moves would break the bank or require that much effort or work from James Jones. I'm sure there will be a ring chasing big we can pick up and an older backup PG.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ideally the Suns could get Ayton to sign a contract for less than max money with incentives to bring to the max. I believe the most they can incentives a deal is 15% of guaranteed salary. That doesn't give us a lot of wiggle room but it does buy some. That could be a decent amount of cash if we're paying luxury tax though. See if he is willing to bet on himself.

I know Bam Abedayo has been mentioned as a player who got a max deal after last season and that's a decent comparison for Ayton to make as far as market value is concerned but I remember reading about his max deal being contingent on a few incentives as well.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ideally the Suns could get Ayton to sign a contract for less than max money with incentives to bring to the max. I believe the most they can incentives a deal is 15% of guaranteed salary. That doesn't give us a lot of wiggle room but it does buy some. That could be a decent amount of cash if we're paying luxury tax though. See if he is willing to bet on himself.

I know Bam Abedayo has been mentioned as a player who got a max deal after last season and that's a decent comparison for Ayton to make as far as market value is concerned but I remember reading about his max deal being contingent on a few incentives as well.

lol

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Guaranteed verses incentives. Good luck with that. It would be great but most of these guys have the mentality that they are in this league for a limited time and want to max out their earning potential knowing it could end at any moment.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Guaranteed verses incentives. Good luck with that. It would be great but most of these guys have the mentality that they are in this league for a limited time and want to max out their earning potential knowing it could end at any moment.

as they should. Not one person on this board is saying to themselves man if I take less money it will really help out the company.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I'm going to continue to say this......

CP3 isn't going anywhere. But if he does, we better be looking for a Lillard instead of a Ball.

Honestly...... That deal could work if Portland is open to it. CP3 is going to cost less and for less time than Ben Simmons will.

The opportunities are there...... but he's staying IMO.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm merely floating ideas based on what I've read elsewhere. I didn't say it was likely, I just said ideally we could get him to go for something other than a huge 5 year guarantee.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I'm going to continue to say this......

CP3 isn't going anywhere. But if he does, we better be looking for a Lillard instead of a Ball.

Honestly...... That deal could work if Portland is open to it. CP3 is going to cost less and for less time than Ben Simmons will.

The opportunities are there...... but he's staying IMO.

Only way we’re getting Lillard is by trading Booker and that’s not happening.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
as they should. Not one person on this board is saying to themselves man if I take less money it will really help out the company.

And maybe no one on this board is making $30M a year

Point being...players have been known to play for less money to play for a contender...especially after cashing in already. Plus endorsements alone can compensate for getting a ring

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Point being...players have been known to play for less money to play for a contender...especially after cashing in already. Plus endorsements alone can compensate for getting a ring

Particularly endorsements through Hollywood and Lebron. That is why the Lakers scare me the most here, despite today's reports regarding the Knicks, Heat and Mavericks.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Particularly endorsements through Hollywood and Lebron. That is why the Lakers scare me the most here, despite today's reports regarding the Knicks, Heat and Mavericks.
Or endorsements from State Farm with Chris Paul

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

name me a 22 year old about to get his first big contract who took less. I’ll wait.

don’t matter how much you make are you taking less at your job? No? Oh ok.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
PHX doesn't HAVE to give Ayton a max deal this offseason. PHX picked up his fifth year option so if management wants to wait until next year to offer him the max then he has no choice but to wait.

The first priority is dealing with Paul's contract situation. After that, determining options to fill PF and back up C positions are next order of business. Bridges and Ayton are locked into this team next year so no need to to worry about them until next offseason.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
name me a 22 year old about to get his first big contract who took less. I’ll wait.

I thought we were talking about CP3 and extending him

But even if we were talking about Ayton or Bridges..they don't necessarily get the absolute max either. They could be negotiated with

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You draw a line in the sand. Make a strong offer and he feels he wants the full max and deserves that tell him to earn it. The team is not obligated to lock him in now. To get that deal early he needs to negotiate for it. He can be a restricted free agent. Bottom line is we would be doing him a huge favor by offering a 5 year max money deal now when the most he can get elsewhere is a 4 deal for slightly less annually after next season from someone else.

Its like you think negotiations don't take place.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Only way we’re getting Lillard is by trading Booker and that’s not happening.
Well..... Think about what is out there for trade, and then think about all-nba level players who may be available.

I don't think it would happen, but Portland is the perfect kind of team to welcome CP3. And we would need a replacement of higher value.

Honestly, I don't think it happens UNLESS Lillard forces his way out. Which we all know CAN happen.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave