Changes for Next Season?

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
It should also be noted that we were at a full roster. So any addition of a big man would of meant dropping someone who was currently on the team (not Ty-Shon since he was on a 2-way).

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It should also be noted that we were at a full roster. So any addition of a big man would of meant dropping someone who was currently on the team (not Ty-Shon since he was on a 2-way).

Again, at that point Langston Galloway was no longer getting any playing time. He would have been the logical player to drop.

JerkFace

Reaction score
Again, at that point Langston Galloway was no longer getting any playing time. He would have been the logical player to drop.
Galloway was one of the most respected players on the team and a great locker room guy and leader. For better or worse, ignoring all of that is a Ryan McDonough move, not a James Jones move.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Galloway was one of the most respected players on the team and a great locker room guy and leader. For better or worse, ignoring all of that is a Ryan McDonough move, not a James Jones move.

I'd rather have Frank Kaminsky be that guy occupying the 15th slot.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd rather have Frank Kaminsky be that guy occupying the 15th slot.

And next season he might but he wasn't in that spot this year as our only backup C. Sure we had Dario but he isn't a true C and Frank does bring more size to the table than him.

Like it or not, we were in a really tough position this season in terms of roster construction. We did have an open spot that a big should have gotten but that ended up being used on Torrey Craig. I don't believe Jones sat back and made no effort to bring a big in, I believe he looked at the options available and saw no one he could sign who was worthy of playing time ahead of who we already had, primarily Frank. Then he chose to add Craig because even though we had depth at Forward, he would help more than anyone else he could have added.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And next season he might but he wasn't in that spot this year as our only backup C. Sure we had Dario but he isn't a true C and Frank does bring more size to the table than him.

Like it or not, we were in a really tough position this season in terms of roster construction. We did have an open spot that a big should have gotten but that ended up being used on Torrey Craig. I don't believe Jones sat back and made no effort to bring a big in, I believe he looked at the options available and saw no one he could sign who was worthy of playing time ahead of who we already had, primarily Frank. Then he chose to add Craig because even though we had depth at Forward, he would help more than anyone else he could have added.

I'm just saying if the Suns are going to fill the roster, fill it with guys that can play. Frank can play and is a good locker room guy as well. The Suns roster needs more big man depth and favored guards last season that often didn't play. It's even more important with Dario injured.

As a side note, JMHO, it's easier to add wings and guards during the season because of injury or need than big men who can play. Cam Payne is an example of that during the 2019-20 season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm just saying if the Suns are going to fill the roster, fill it with guys that can play. Frank can play and is a good locker room guy as well. The Suns roster needs more big man depth and favored guards last season that often didn't play. It's even more important with Dario injured.

As a side note, JMHO, it's easier to add wings and guards during the season because of injury or need than big men who can play. Cam Payne is an example of that during the 2019-20 season.

Everyone on the roster could play, except Stix but we all know he'll take time. We just ended up lopsided as far as too many guards and wings and not enough bigs. Just because some guys didn't play doesn't mean they weren't capable. Moore, Galloway, and Carter proved their worth when they saw the floor, for the most part, but there were better options higher on the depth chart.

Chemistry was great last year and I can understand why JJ didn't disrupt that by waiting someone like Galloway, for example, to add a big who might not beat out Frank for minutes. That really wouldn't have helped much and had more potential to hurt the chemistry that was established.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone on the roster could play, except Stix but we all know he'll take time. We just ended up lopsided as far as too many guards and wings and not enough bigs. Just because some guys didn't play doesn't mean they weren't capable. Moore, Galloway, and Carter proved their worth when they saw the floor, for the most part, but there were better options higher on the depth chart.

Chemistry was great last year and I can understand why JJ didn't disrupt that by waiting someone like Galloway, for example, to add a big who might not beat out Frank for minutes. That really wouldn't have helped much and had more potential to hurt the chemistry that was established.

Suns need players that can see the court when the need arises. It's not just a matter if they can play in the literal sense it's whether the bench contains players that can fill a need when it arises.

Galloway, Moore and Carter could not play the 4/5. The roster wasn't balanced last season. They needed more size up front. Sometimes a team has to make changes during the season like adding Craig. Yes, there was a roster opening for him but because a team addresses a need doesn't mean it has to ruin chemistry.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns need players that can see the court when the need arises. It's not just a matter if they can play in the literal sense it's whether the bench contains players that can fill a need when it arises.

Galloway, Moore and Carter could not play the 4/5. The roster wasn't balanced last season. They needed more size up front. Sometimes a team has to make changes during the season like adding Craig. Yes, there was a roster opening for him but because a team addresses a need doesn't mean it has to ruin chemistry.

Adding a player may not disturb chemistry but cutting one very well could, especially highly respected veterans like Moore or Galloway. There was no way to add someone without cutting them once Craig took the last roster spot. It would have been nice to have another big who could play but it wasn't as simply as just adding someone, there would have had to be someone let go.

Of course they could have added a two-way player but I don't recall seeing any team with a decent big on a two-way deal so the odds of one being available were very low. Adding a two-way as an insurance wouldn't have been better than throwing Jalen Smith out there either so I can understand why they didn't rush to fill that spot with just a warm body either.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adding a player may not disturb chemistry but cutting one very well could, especially highly respected veterans like Moore or Galloway. There was no way to add someone without cutting them once Craig took the last roster spot. It would have been nice to have another big who could play but it wasn't as simply as just adding someone, there would have had to be someone let go.

Of course they could have added a two-way player but I don't recall seeing any team with a decent big on a two-way deal so the odds of one being available were very low. Adding a two-way as an insurance wouldn't have been better than throwing Jalen Smith out there either so I can understand why they didn't rush to fill that spot with just a warm body either.

I think a team playing for a possible championship should pull out all the stops. These opportunities are often rare.

Keeping Moore and Galloway are not at the top of my priority list for the coming season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Including the playoffs he was nailed to the bench for 50 games this season, most of those DPN's came from February on. And in the 40 games he appeared in he logged fewer than 10 minutes in half of them. I'm not sure trading or releasing him at the deadline would have been viewed so negatively by him?

JJ could have traded him or released him and done it in a way that would have avoided many of the conflicts that occurred from Ryan's approach. Be open and up-front with what you're doing and most players/agents will understand and accept it even if it's not their preferred outcome.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Including the playoffs he was nailed to the bench for 50 games this season, most of those DPN's came from February on. And in the 40 games he appeared in he logged fewer than 10 minutes in half of them. I'm not sure trading or releasing him at the deadline would have been viewed so negatively by him?

JJ could have traded him or released him and done it in a way that would have avoided many of the conflicts that occurred from Ryan's approach. Be open and up-front with what you're doing and most players/agents will understand and accept it even if it's not their preferred outcome.

It would be difficult to handle player departures worse than McDonough. You are exactly right. Be forthcoming with the player and say all the clichés to the media. That common sense escaped McDonough as he took everything so personally.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Beat me to it. I couldn't have responded any better than this.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think a team playing for a possible championship should pull out all the stops. These opportunities are often rare.

Keeping Moore and Galloway are not at the top of my priority list for the coming season.

It's not on my list at all. Both are totally expedable.

JerkFace

Reaction score

I’m sure there were bigs that he was willing to do this for, but I just don’t think he was willing to do it for any random big.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I read that reply three times before I deduced that you must be a 76ers fan.

I hope you're wrong and the 76ers decide that all they really want is to reunite Embiid and Saric.
LOL!!!! I am a staunch Sixers fan and I can totally see a Dario/Embiid redo knowing our front office. In all seriousness, I just want tangible assets that will help get us over the top next year. Given the Nets injuries this year, I firmly believe we blew a prime opportunity for a title. Not saying that you guys would have been a push over, I'm just lamenting blowing a clear path to getting a crack at the chip.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I’m sure there were bigs that he was willing to do this for, but I just don’t think he was willing to do it for any random big.

JaVale McGee, DeMarcus Cousins, Blake Griffin, Dewayne Dedmon or even Alize Johnson would have been worth it, and a trade for Hassan Whiteside or Aron Baynes wouldn't have required it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like for the Suns to add big man depth but it doesn't necessarily need to be at center. Richaun Holmes, Enes Kanter, JaVale McGee, Bobby Portis and Kelly Olynyk are a few names.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Holmes is my #1 choice to backup 4/5 however, he may be too expensive unless it's a S&T. Nerlens is my clear #2.
Drummond #3.

If this is all it would take to get Tristan and we can create the cap room, he would be a great backup 4/5 as well.
You must be registered for see images attach

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Holmes is my #1 choice to backup 4/5 however, he may be too expensive unless it's a S&T. Nerlens is my clear #2.
Drummond #3.

If this is all it would take to get Tristan and we can create the cap room, he would be a great backup 4/5 as well.

Holmes is going to be to rich for us he’s really matured since he left here. But yeah if we could swing it I’d love to have him

Noel or Drummond would be great

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Drummond #3.

Agreed. If Tristan is that cheap go for it.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
We don't have to clear cap for him. We can trade without giving any salary.

However, we would have to get creative in regards to filling out the roster with other potential trades and min deals.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210727-104821_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210727-104821_Chrome.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 2

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We don't have to clear cap for him. We can trade without giving any salary.

However, we would have to get creative in regards to filling out the roster with other potential trades and min deals.

Tristan does nothing for me. He’s not really athletic he’s just kind of there

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave