Celtics @ Suns Wednesday game thread 12-7-2022

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Wednesday, the Suns return home to play the Celtics before heading back out on the road, where they play four games.

Suns are 16-8 after losing to the Mavericks. Celtics are 20-5.

When: Wednesday, December 7th, 2022

Television: ESPN, Bally Sports Arizona

Radio: KMVP 98.7 / S: KSUN

Time: 8 pm Arizona time

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty couldn't say if Chris Paul or Torrey Craig would be ready to play against the Celtics.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I hope Devin Booker looks himself in the mirror and shows up tomorrow. The Suns got punked last night. I love Book. But right now, Luka/Mavs are in his head. Especially when he starts off slow and can’t get his shot to fall, it’s a snowball effect.

Boston is going to throw the kitchen sink at him. He’s been on a tear but we need MVP Book and not in his head/complacent Book. He’s gotta play with an edge. I don’t think the Suns will win this game because I think Boston is firing on all cylinders, but if we are, number 1 is going to have to bring it from the opening tip.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I hope Devin Booker looks himself in the mirror and shows up tomorrow. The Suns got punked last night. I love Book. But right now, Luka/Mavs are in his head. Especially when he starts off slow and can’t get his shot to fall, it’s a snowball effect.

Boston is going to throw the kitchen sink at him. He’s been on a tear but we need MVP Book and not in his head/complacent Book. He’s gotta play with an edge. I don’t think the Suns will win this game because I think Boston is firing on all cylinders, but if we are, number 1 is going to have to bring it from the opening tip.
Yeah I expect us to get wiped out against the celts. That’s a good team, we aren’t playing with anything approaching a near deck and whatever swagger we regained this season was just wiped out by a smirking, laughing, and dancing mavericks team last night.

And it’s not just book. Bridges is nearly useless against the mavs. He gets completely bullied by doncic every meeting now and their aggressive defense shows how little his dribble game has progressed.

I’ve seen teams struggle with specific teams over the years, but nothing that seemingly compares to the edge the mavs hold over the suns. That’s squarely on monty imo.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I expect us to get wiped out against the celts. That’s a good team, we aren’t playing with anything approaching a near deck and whatever swagger we regained this season was just wiped out by a smirking, laughing, and dancing mavericks team last night.

And it’s not just book. Bridges is nearly useless against the mavs. He gets completely bullied by doncic every meeting now and their aggressive defense shows how little his dribble game has progressed.

I’ve seen teams struggle with specific teams over the years, but nothing that seemingly compares to the edge the mavs hold over the suns. That’s squarely on monty imo.

I don't have the stats on the series but before the playoffs last season the Suns used to dominate the Mavericks. Maybe they should find some old video.

The Suns have forgotten the key to beating the Mavericks is making Luka beat you. Guard the other players and make him play 48 minutes, including defense.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't have the stats on the series but before the playoffs last season the Suns used to dominate the Mavericks. Maybe they should find some old video.

The Suns have forgotten the key to beating the Mavericks is making Luka beat you. Guard the other players and make him play 48 minutes, including defense.
The old video of our wins against the mavs is useless tape. Kidd found something last year in the playoffs and is just killing us defensively. It’s why I think we need to go to an Ayton-centric offense against them. We should a versatility with playing either an inside or outside game that few teams possess. But monty just won’t punish teams inside with a heavy dosage of Ayton. When I say “heavy dosage” I mean give him like 28 shots. Force the mavs to adjust to what we are doing. Thus far it just seems like monty is doing the same and hoping for different outcomes.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh the Mavs are 100% in the heads of the Suns

Monty is really not a championship level coach it should be obvious by now. Zero adjustments. Kidd has figured him out.

There was that stat Ayton was 6/8 and the rest of the starters were 6/27 or something like that. So tell me why you are just riding the **** out of Ayton inside? Nope let’s just ignore what’s working and Chuck up bricks

Why are we leaving the 3 point shooters? Dude stay at home on your man and make Luka beat you. Stop running and scrambling all over on defense.

Bridges looks so pathetic against Luka. This is our all world defender? I can’t tell. Anyone who thinks you keep Bridges instead of trying to get KD is crazy.

What I wouldn’t give to have Udoka coaching this team

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But the Celtics are playing lights out right now. They got 3 of the top 5 three point shooters I don’t think they’ll keep that pace

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The old video of our wins against the mavs is useless tape. Kidd found something last year in the playoffs and is just killing us defensively. It’s why I think we need to go to an Ayton-centric offense against them. We should a versatility with playing either an inside or outside game that few teams possess. But monty just won’t punish teams inside with a heavy dosage of Ayton. When I say “heavy dosage” I mean give him like 28 shots. Force the mavs to adjust to what we are doing. Thus far it just seems like monty is doing the same and hoping for different outcomes.

I don't think the old tape is useless because it should remind the Suns of how to beat the Mavericks. The Suns obviously have to tweak their defense though.

In the Mavericks best outings, they plunder the Suns with 3-point shooting. I'm still having nightmares about Tim Hardaway shooting open corner threes last night. They have to make Luka work on both ends of the court. If he can beat the Suns by himself, that is the rout they should go.

We agree the Suns should have exploited their advantage inside with Ayton. They shouldn't play the Mavericks game by hoisting 3-point shots at will.

Also, the Suns need to make Luka work for some of his points. I thought Okogie could have helped there. At least he started the 2nd half.

The Suns need to toughen up at power forward and add another playmaker shooter. They can't be cream puffs.

It's a familiar refrain. Monty and James Jones should have learned.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Between the old tapes and the new tapes the Suns have plenty of tape to figure out a better strategy for playing the Mavs. Did I mention tape? There is no tape. It's all digital now. :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kidd can't even figure out his own team. He had Tim Hardaway Jr. sitting on the bench until recently.

Monty needs to figure out why the Suns rollover on the Mavericks. Something is wrong with the coaching or psyche of the team.

Put someone on Luka that will make him work.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I swear people have forgotten that we beat them in the season opener. Our biggest issues are in this building. They just play with a different energy at home and we have to figure how to not let them get hot early in the game and run out to a big lead.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kidd can't even figure out his own team. He had Tim Hardaway Jr. sitting on the bench until recently.

Monty needs to figure out why the Suns rollover on the Mavericks. Something is wrong with the coaching or psyche of the team.

We just switch too easy and they easily get the matchup they want

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I swear people have forgotten that we beat them in the season opener. Our biggest issues are in this building. They just play with a different energy at home and we have to figure how to not let them get hot early in the game and run out to a big lead.

I didn't even think the Mavericks played well early. The Suns shot poorly early and let the Mavericks get their confidence.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score

Okogie or Ayton. Just don't foul him every time. Maybe three or four choice hard fouls. I did like that he got beat up a bit last night.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okogie or Ayton. Just don't foul him every time. Maybe three or four choice hard fouls. I did like that he got beat up a bit last night.

Too bad it wasn't the Suns taking the hard foul.

Suns players need to learn to stay down and not bite on fakes, especially on 3-point shots.

I really think the key to guarding Luka is to stay low. He thrives on cheap fouls.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think we're looking at back to back thrashings. there's only so long a team can keep running on relative fumes with 3 keys players out, two of them starters.

it's why losing games like we did against Houston and against a Dame/Simons-less Portland team sting so much. gotta bank those wins against bumps down the road.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
i think we're looking at back to back thrashings. there's only so long a team can keep running on relative fumes with 3 keys players out, two of them starters.

it's why losing games like we did against Houston and against a Dame/Simons-less Portland team sting so much. gotta bank those wins against bumps down the road.
This will certainly be a tough game. Certainly not counting the Suns out though. They will be heavily motivated after yesterdays showing.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul and Torrey Craig are now listed as QUESTIONABLE.

This is encouraging news although it's uncertain if one or both will play.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This will certainly be a tough game. Certainly not counting the Suns out though. They will be heavily motivated after yesterdays showing.

Suns need reinforcements, but I would be shocked if they played poorly against the Celtics.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns need reinforcements, but I would be shocked if they played poorly against the Celtics.
It’s not a matter of playing poorly against the Celtics. I think they’re much better than us when everything is even and everything isn’t even even right now with all our injuries.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not a matter of playing poorly against the Celtics. I think they’re much better than us when everything is even and everything isn’t even even right now with all our injuries.

The Celtics are the better team right now, no doubt about it.

However, the playoff Suns should be a much better team, but we will have to wait to see the final version.

I'm not ready to concede anything just yet.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Celtics are the better team right now, no doubt about it.

However, the playoff Suns should be a much better team, but we will have to wait to see the final version.

I'm not ready to concede anything just yet.

I love your optimism

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Oh the Mavs are 100% in the heads of the Suns

Monty is really not a championship level coach it should be obvious by now. Zero adjustments. Kidd has figured him out.

There was that stat Ayton was 6/8 and the rest of the starters were 6/27 or something like that. So tell me why you are just riding the **** out of Ayton inside? Nope let’s just ignore what’s working and Chuck up bricks

Why are we leaving the 3 point shooters? Dude stay at home on your man and make Luka beat you. Stop running and scrambling all over on defense.

Bridges looks so pathetic against Luka. This is our all world defender? I can’t tell. Anyone who thinks you keep Bridges instead of trying to get KD is crazy.

What I wouldn’t give to have Udoka coaching this team
Or lue.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't think the old tape is useless because it should remind the Suns of how to beat the Mavericks. The Suns obviously have to tweak their defense though.

In the Mavericks best outings, they plunder the Suns with 3-point shooting. I'm still having nightmares about Tim Hardaway shooting open corner threes last night. They have to make Luka work on both ends of the court. If he can beat the Suns by himself, that is the rout they should go.

We agree the Suns should have exploited their advantage inside with Ayton. They shouldn't play the Mavericks game by hoisting 3-point shots at will.

Also, the Suns need to make Luka work for some of his points. I thought Okogie could have helped there. At least he started the 2nd half.

The Suns need to toughen up at power forward and add another playmaker shooter. They can't be cream puffs.

It's a familiar refrain. Monty and James Jones should have learned.
Disagree those old tapes show us winning against an entirely different strategy. Therefore it’s useless.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfermcr