Votes: 6 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 15 71.4%

• Total voters

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ceballos was asked if his best team could beat this year’s Golden State team in a playoff series. Ceballos chose the 1993-94 Suns, his best season in Phoenix with 19.1 points per game

“Oh easy,” Ceballos said of beating Golden State. "The Warriors against our 93-94 team, with [Charles] Barkley, [Dan] Majerle, [Danny] Ainge, K.J. [Kevin Johnson], Tom Chambers. Don’t get me wrong. Draymond [Green]’s play is unbelievable, but he wouldn’t do anything with Charles Barkley. It would be so ridiculous with that guy would get done to him. If you don’t believe me, just ask everybody else at his size who tried to guard the guy back in the day. Then you go with KJ, who just made the final list for the Hall of Fame. Steph Curry, an unbelievable shooter, but [KJ] was a point guard’s nightmare because he was strong and loved to go to the basket. That’s one thing these teams do not do. They do not expose Steph Curry and the way he plays defense

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...3-94-suns-could-beat-warriors-today/81013634/

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He's wrong, just like all the others that make similar claims. If the Warriors were transported back to 93, that Suns team would destroy them. But if that Suns team was transported into today's game, the Warriors would run them out of the gym.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The answer is in the results. The Warriors are the defending World Champs, with a chance to set an all-time season's record this year.

Ced's claim is unrealistic and, frankly, self-centered.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rules differences. BTW. KJ would have been better with today's rules. He got beat up all the time going into the paint.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Rules differences. BTW. KJ would have been better with today's rules. He got beat up all the time going into the paint.
It must be said that KJ didn't like being called "Franchise, Jr." by Chuck and hogged the ball, especially with the game on the line, detracting from his responsibility as Point Guard.

He was beaten up going into the paint because he was too predicable. KJ brought it on himself.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Those Suns never faced anything like Steph Curry. Yes, they face MJ. And I am not diminishing MJ's game. Curry is just a different kind of problem. I am not sure how they would have solved it.

We oohed and aaaahed over MJ's game. When Curry gets on a shooting roll the announcers just laugh in disbelief. Basketball history is being made.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Agree. Bring that Warriors team to 1993. The Suns would be a very good matchup

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I've said the same thing but I would also point out that the Warriors put their team together to take advantage of modern rules/interpretations. I think the Warriors could have built a championship team around Curry even in the days of hand checking and physical play on the perimeter. Curry is that special.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've said the same thing but I would also point out that the Warriors put their team together to take advantage of modern rules/interpretations. I think the Warriors could have built a championship team around Curry even in the days of hand checking and physical play on the perimeter. Curry is that special.

And the Warriors are a great defensive team with todays rules. Allow them to handcheck and do all that other stuff and their defense would be even better.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And the Warriors are a great defensive team with todays rules. Allow them to handcheck and do all that other stuff and their defense would be even better.

Not sure about that. Defenses today have to be built on speed and athleticism. In those days strength was the key. Actually, coaching might make a difference.

People have compared Curry to Abdul Rauf. Look at these highlights. You can't tell me that Curry would have absolutely destroyed the Suns in this game. He would have been left wide open from the perimeter all night. Perimeter defense was almost non-existent in those days. The only thing that might have limited Curry would be the freak out factor from being so absolutely wide open.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Not sure about that. Defenses today have to be built on speed and athleticism. In those days strength was the key. Actually, coaching might make a difference.

People have compared Curry to Abdul Rauf. Look at these highlights. You can't tell me that Curry would have absolutely destroyed the Suns in this game. He would have been left wide open from the perimeter all night. Perimeter defense was almost non-existent in those days. The only thing that might have limited Curry would be the freak out factor from being so absolutely wide open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gW95__TeWk

To be fair, there was barely any defense being played in that game, let alone perimeter defense.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

agree. The 94 team? That team wasn't nearly as good as '93. And we could have gone small against that team. Hell, we were basically that small with Charles at 6'4.

That 93 team was in all my years watching the NBA, the best team to not win a championship. That was a fantastic squad that could play big or small and had ridiculous depth (Ainge, Ceballos, Chambers, Oliver Miller all on the bench and all major contributors). That team was 9 legit deep... and won 62 games with Negele Freaking Knight starting 35 games!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard