Cats picked to win the Pac-12 in basketball next year

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UA also just got TJ McConnell a day after getting a JC transfer.

I am puzzled as to why Wilner makes predictions a couple of days before major announcements? he clearly isn't considering Shabazz in those predictions, if UCLA gets Bazz and Parker is he still going to have them 3rd?

Seems like he ought to wait a few days.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think losing Turner is really going to hurt them. A healthy Mayes and Nick Johnson playing the point won't be bad. Nick has all summer to work on his game and if he wants any chance to play in the NBA, he will need to play the point. I look at this when Reggie Geary took over the point in his senior year and the Cats were one shot from playing Syracuse in the Elite Eight. Moreover, the Cats played very well after Turner was suspended the last time. They just ran out of gas due to the lack of size up front. That won't be a problem next year.

Also, Kryl is leaving, which comes as no surprise. He was dead weight on the bench. This opens up a scholarship and I wonder if Miller will use it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think losing Turner is really going to hurt them. A healthy Mayes and Nick Johnson playing the point won't be bad. Nick has all summer to work on his game and if he wants any chance to play in the NBA, he will need to play the point. I look at this when Reggie Geary took over the point in his senior year and the Cats were one shot from playing Syracuse in the Elite Eight. Moreover, the Cats played very well after Turner was suspended the last time. They just ran out of gas due to the lack of size up front. That won't be a problem next year.

Also, Kryl is leaving, which comes as no surprise. He was dead weight on the bench. This opens up a scholarship and I wonder if Miller will use it.

Yes and no, it makes chemistry and that stuff better, but like UCLA last year booting Nelson it makes the ceiling much lower. The fact is Turner was the only pure PG on the roster, he hadn't played up to his talent, but the talent was still there if he got his head right.

Johnson, Mayes and York all have talent but none of them are really PG's so while they will be better citizens and play harder, they're not PG's. I thought having to play so much PG last year was a major reason Nick's season hit the skids, I think he got a bit overwhelmed with all the responsibilities. Next year it'll be easier he's done it before.

It's probably what's best for the program, but not necessarily for next season.