Carson Palmer

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Caught an interview with Palmer on Moving the Chains on Sirius radio NFL network Tuesday. Palmer had some interesting things to say.

Stated that the players on offense love playing in BA's system. Said BA is not afraid to call up plays that many would not call up because of how the offense might be playing that day. BA likes to change it up and tries things.

When asked about the RBS he said Ellington is small but quick and explosive and has great vision. Said Mendenhall has been playing pissed off the last couple of weeks indicating he hasn't liked the talk about he should see less playing time than Ellington.

Said Floyd has matured a lot and has gotten a lot better at being a complete WR. Gave props to Roberts too which I found odd. Also gave props to Housler and said people underrate Housler.

Said Oline takes great pride in keeping him clean and opening holes for the RBs. Said the line has gotten better as the season progressed.

Said the team is focused on the Titans and they are not looking ahead as they know they need this game to stay in the playoff hunt.

Also said the defense has been great and the offense tries to get the defense time to catch a breather which only makes the defense better.

Pretty interesting interview.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Caught an interview with Palmer on Moving the Chains on Sirius radio NFL network Tuesday. Palmer had some interesting things to say.

Stated that the players on offense love playing in BA's system. Said BA is not afraid to call up plays that many would not call up because of how the offense might be playing that day. BA likes to change it up and tries things.

When asked about the RBS he said Ellington is small but quick and explosive and has great vision. Said Mendenhall has been playing pissed off the last couple of weeks indicating he hasn't liked the talk about he should see less playing time than Ellington.

Said Floyd has matured a lot and has gotten a lot better at being a complete WR. Gave props to Roberts too which I found odd. Also gave props to Housler and said people underrate Housler.

Said Oline takes great pride in keeping him clean and opening holes for the RBs. Said the line has gotten better as the season progressed.

Said the team is focused on the Titans and they are not looking ahead as they know they need this game to stay in the playoff hunt.

Also said the defense has been great and the offense tries to get the defense time to catch a breather which only makes the defense better.

Roberts is a solid player.

But, he won't be a Cardinal next season.

When I think of clutch catches outside of Fitzgerald, and Floyd......I think Jaron Brown.

When I think of Roberts, I think of a WR that is a little bit better than Early Doucet.

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score

To the question of the statement on Roberts, I read (and I don't remember where so I can't provide a link) that He has been as effective as he can be considering he is getting less snaps due to the fact that Arians really likes 2 to 3 TE sets. More TE's less wide receivers. (like that had to be said, lol)

OP
OP
cardpa

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
By the way "pissed off" is an exact quote from Palmer about Mendenhall.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
To the question of the statement on Roberts, I read (and I don't remember where so I can't provide a link) that He has been as effective as he can be considering he is getting less snaps due to the fact that Arians really likes 2 to 3 TE sets. More TE's less wide receivers. (like that had to be said, lol)

The last 3 games Roberts has had 15 targets with 8 catches. Most of those came vs the Eagles. 8 targets and 4 receptions.

I remember how seldom the Cards used their TE's when Warner was QB. The TEs had 23 catches in 2009. Last year they had 72 and this year they have 58 so far.

Stats from www.profootball reference.com

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

When I think of clutch catches outside of Fitzgerald, and Floyd......I think Jaron Brown.

When I think of Roberts, I think of a WR that is a little bit better than Early Doucet.

I like Brown over Roberts also. Roberts just doesn't seem to make the catches that he should be making. He looks awkward attempting to catch the ball at times and that's poor hand work. Comparing him to Early is about right. Replaceable for sure.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
interesting on Early and Andre

both were 3rd round picks of WRs at a time when picking a WR didnt seem like a pressing need. To make yourself annoyed:

the following players were taken after Early and before the Cards 4th in the 08 draft:

Harry Douglas, Jermicheal Finley, Cliff Avril, Mario Manningham

to make yourself absolutely crazy -- in the 2010 draft after Roberts:

Navarro Bowman, Jimmy Graham, Alteran Verner, Jacoby Ford, Aaron Hernandez (whew!), Dennis Pitta and Geno Atkins. (boy that 2010 draft was a good one overall)

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I do not know how you can keep Housler out of this mix. Our group of TE's are really good IMHO. They are forcing teams to go one on one against Fitz. They are also helping keep Palmer upright with some good blocking and catching of short passes. I sure hope Roberts is still here next year. He may not be but I would try to keep him.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

When I think of Roberts, I think of a guy who drops an occasional pass, but is a dependable receiver who doesn't commit foolish penalities and stays healthy. When I think of Early, I think of a guy who drops a lot of passes, commits foolish penalties and misses a lot of time with injuries.

I agree he probably won't be a Cardinal next season unless he signs a minimum salary deal. But I wish him well.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
By the way "pissed off" is an exact quote from Palmer about Mendenhall.

What pisses me off is that he needed people to "talk" about him in week 11 before he snapped out of his malaise. Why couldn't he get "pissed off" for the first game of the year??? If he hadn't stunk up the place the Cards might have another win under their belt.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What pisses me off is that he needed people to "talk" about him in week 11 before he snapped out of his malaise. Why couldn't he get "pissed off" for the first game of the year??? If he hadn't stunk up the place the Cards might have another win under their belt.

He was quick the first few games, had a nagging toe injury through the middle of season and is now healthy. What pisses him off is people not getting this.

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score
The last 3 games Roberts has had 15 targets with 8 catches. Most of those came vs the Eagles. 8 targets and 4 receptions.

I remember how seldom the Cards used their TE's when Warner was QB. The TEs had 23 catches in 2009. Last year they had 72 and this year they have 58 so far.

Stats from www.profootball reference.com

I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me Duck, but you have to remember that targets to TE's doesn't mean they don't have two or 3 out there to help block also. Remember they've been using Massie in a TE position for blocking purposes. You know they haven't targeted him at all.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me Duck, but you have to remember that targets to TE's doesn't mean they don't have two or 3 out there to help block also. Remember they've been using Massie in a TE position for blocking purposes. You know they haven't targeted him at all.

What I'm trying to tell you is that Roberts is basically irrelevant in the current Cards offense so it doesn't make any difference what level of talent he has and that Warner and Whiz almost never threw to the TE.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
What I'm trying to tell you is that Roberts is basically irrelevant in the current Cards offense so it doesn't make any difference what level of talent he has and that Warner and Whiz almost never threw to the TE.

Well crap, I was going to start for Roberts this week...no wonder, they do not intend to throw my way because I will seldom be in any package that sees the field lol
Funny, but Roberts was pretty dang good in my opinion last season with the crappy QBs we had:)

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
He was quick the first few games, had a nagging toe injury through the middle of season and is now healthy. What pisses him off is people not getting this.

Hey I'm not the one that said he had to get "pissed off" before he started playing well.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Hey I'm not the one that said he had to get "pissed off" before he started playing well.

Well you and I aren't pals with Mendenhall like apparently some other poster is so that he knows that Rashad gets pissed off at message board posters not "getting this".

OP
OP
cardpa

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I find it strange, or did I miss it, that he didn't mention Fitz at all.

The question posed to him was besides Fitz how did he see the other receivers on the team so Fitz was purposely excluded by the shows hosts.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well you and I aren't pals with Mendenhall like apparently some other poster is so that he knows that Rashad gets pissed off at message board posters not "getting this".

Read the piece, Doofus, it's clear he's heard the talk out there, and it pisses him off.

OP
OP
cardpa

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Read the piece, Doofus, it's clear he's heard the talk out there, and it pisses him off.

Palmer made it quite clear that Mendenhall has been playing pissed off for the last two weeks or so because he has something to prove which relates to media talk about him and opinions that Mendenhall should be getting less playing time. Palmer did not directly say it was because of talk out there that Ellington should be seeing more time, but certainly inferred it.

I feel fairly confident that players read what is being said about them in the media.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Palmer made it quite clear that Mendenhall has been playing pissed off for the last two weeks or so because he has something to prove which relates to media talk about him and opinions that Mendenhall should be getting less playing time. Palmer did not directly say it was because of talk out there that Ellington should be seeing more time, but certainly inferred it.

I feel fairly confident that players read what is being said about them in the media.

Well, media talk in this case reflects what has been said by fans in every medium.

OP
OP
cardpa

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Well, media talk in this case reflects what has been said by fans in every medium.

True, true, true. It came from all directions. Palmer even in the interview really gave props to Ellington. If I am not mistaken he described Ellington's vision as incredible for a rookie.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've been blasted for saying this before but what the heck. At least 1-2 times a game we get a first down by running a play where Housler goes through an area taking the safety or LB with him and then we throw to the guy trailing him through. Dray got a TD out of that against Philly and Fitz and Floyd each got a huge first down in our last game from the same thing.

Does he suck as a blocker yes, has he dropped too many balls absolutely, does the offense benefit from him being in there yes because he's just fast enough that teams react to him making him a very good decoy at times.

I wish he was more consistent but after a slow start he's started to make a real impact in the games.

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score
Last 2 or 3 Games Housler has made a couple of catches that really impressed me. Confidence improvement maybe?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard