Carson Palmer Last Night...

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
How was Carson walking? Spring in his step or still limpy?

Walking totally fine. No noticeable limp whatsoever... He says he believes he's 2-3 weeks ahead of "schedule". Dude has his head one straight and he's excited about next season...

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Church on a wednesday night?

My church (Highlands Church) has a number of professional athletes who are members. Ron Wolfley and Tom Lehman are two in particular and together, for the past 8-10 years now, they help put together this type of an event during the week of the Phoenix Open.
It's a tremendous event. Very inspirational...

And, FWIW, I do attend church on a regular basis on Wednesday nights with my wife, as we're part of a group of married couples (roughly 300 or so) that get together on Wednesdays...
Great way to stay properly focused.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My church (Highlands Church) has a number of professional athletes who are members. Ron Wolfley and Tom Lehman are two in particular and together, for the past 8-10 years now, they help put together this type of an event during the week of the Phoenix Open.

And, FWIW, I do attend church on a regular basis on Wednesday nights with my wife, as we're part of a group of married couples (roughly 300 or so) that get together on Wednesdays...

Interesting. Hey if you love it, do it all you can!

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I skipped through a little of it but will watch the whole thing when I have some time. What I did watch was really good. Its odd to me how misunderstood Carson is due to his retirement in Cincinatti.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Pretty cool. My dad was very heavily involved with Highland's church before he passed. Pastor Les spoke at his funeral.

I actually played in a golf tournament back in 2000 that was sponsored by them. Best ball tournament. Tom Lehman was in another group. Our team took first place, Tom's took second. Afterward, I went up to Lehman and told him, "you realize I'm going to tell people I beat you in golf, right?" He got a chuckle out of that.

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Pretty cool. My dad was very heavily involved with Highland's church before he passed. Pastor Les spoke at his funeral.

I actually played in a golf tournament back in 2000 that was sponsored by them. Best ball tournament. Tom Lehman was in another group. Our team took first place, Tom's took second. Afterward, I went up to Lehman and told him, "you realize I'm going to tell people I beat you in golf, right?" He got a chuckle out of that.

That's cool TJ! Sorry about your dad, but great to know that Pastor Les spoke at his service!
I was born and raised Catholic (I'm Italian after all:D), and had never been inside any other type of church other than a Catholic church...until 2006 when my wife and I were invited to attend this event. Back then, the event took place on Saturday night of the Phoenix Open. Needless to say, I was blown away by the experience. So much so that the next day (Sunday), we decided to try Highlands instead of attending our Catholic Church. Well, here we are 9 years later and we've never gone back to the Catholic Church. I love Highlands. No place is perfect of course, but I greatly appreciate their spirit and their hearts. It's truly a special place...

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
That's cool TJ! Sorry about your dad, but great to know that Pastor Les spoke at his service!
I was born and raised Catholic (I'm Italian after all:D), and had never been inside any other type of church other than a Catholic church...until 2006 when my wife and I were invited to attend this event. Back then, the event took place on Saturday night of the Phoenix Open. Needless to say, I was blown away by the experience. So much so that the next day (Sunday), we decided to try Highlands instead of attending our Catholic Church. Well, here we are 9 years later and we've never gone back to the Catholic Church. I love Highlands. No place is perfect of course, but I greatly appreciate their spirit and their hearts. It's truly a special place...

Yeah, it was a pretty invigorating environment. I only went to a couple of services as I was transitioning to UofA when they started. Good people involved.

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
So nothing on Sunday?

No no... Sunday is still a mainstay of worship! Our church, like many others, established what they call "Life Groups", generally set up by age grouping. The idea is to create tighter relationships among the congregation, while also digging deeper into God's word and growing closer to Jesus. We've been doing it for the past 6 years and love it.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Good deal 82. I have lots of friends at Highlands. I am pretty involved at SBC and the Pastoral team were once there. Good times.

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Good deal 82. I have lots of friends at Highlands. I am pretty involved at SBC and the Pastoral team were once there. Good times.

That's right Reddog. I believe the entire Pastoral group at Highlands got started at SBC. Les Hughey, Bob Wade, Mark Yule and Jason Fritz... along with the huge amount of workers and volunteers, they make belonging to Highlands a true pleasure. I owe them a huge Thank You for all that they do in and around the valley, as well as around the world... but also for me and my family. Today, I am 100x better of a husband, father, son, brother, friend and leader of a company, as I was 9 years ago... So not perfect... but better than I was... ;)

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That's right Reddog. I believe the entire Pastoral group at Highlands got started at SBC. Les Hughey, Bob Wade, Mark Yule and Jason Fritz... along with the huge amount of workers and volunteers, they make belonging to Highlands a true pleasure. I owe them a huge Thank You for all that they do in and around the valley, as well as around the world... but also for me and my family. Today, I am 100x better of a husband, father, son, brother, friend and leader of a company, as I was 9 years ago... So not perfect... but better than I was... ;)

I get it. So 82 high school grad?

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I get it. So 82 high school grad?

Yep... I'm from back east (Greenwich, CT). Played football in high school and our mascot was the Cardinals. I graduated in 1982. Coming here to AZ was great for a ton of reasons, not least of which was that the Arizona Cardinals wore the exact same uniforms as what I wore in high school!!

My claim to fame is that I played ball (since we were kids) with Steve Young. Steve graduated 2 years a head of me... However, when I was playing JV in 10th grade, our coach would often have us scrimmage the varsity team whenever he felt we were getting too big for our britches (we went 11 & 0 that year). I played safety and weighed 170 pounds soaking wet... Steve was of course the QB and at that time, our varsity team ran the wishbone offense, whcih essentially meant Steve would take the snap and outrun everyone to the endzone. He was always bigger, stronger and faster than most kids through high school. One rainy day, we scrimmaged varsity and Steve took the snap, ran around the end and was about to rip off another long TD run. I stepped up from my safety position and tried (in vain) to tackle him... all I remember is putting my head down and his knee popping me in the helmet and then, nothing but a big blue star... I think I was out for 15 seconds or so... and ended up with Steve's cleat-marks down the front of my jersey... :D

Probably more than you bargained for there Reddog... sorry...

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yep... I'm from back east (Greenwich, CT). Played football in high school and our mascot was the Cardinals. I graduated in 1982. Coming here to AZ was great for a ton of reasons, not least of which was that the Arizona Cardinals wore the exact same uniforms as what I wore in high school!!

My claim to fame is that I played ball (since we were kids) with Steve Young. Steve graduated 2 years a head of me... However, when I was playing JV in 10th grade, our coach would often have us scrimmage the varsity team whenever he felt we were getting too big for our britches (we went 11 & 0 that year). I played safety and weighed 170 pounds soaking wet... Steve was of course the QB and at that time, our varsity team ran the wishbone offense, whcih essentially meant Steve would take the snap and outrun everyone to the endzone. He was always bigger, stronger and faster than most kids through high school. One rainy day, we scrimmaged varsity and Steve took the snap, ran around the end and was about to rip off another long TD run. I stepped up from my safety position and tried (in vain) to tackle him... all I remember is putting my head down and his knee popping me in the helmet and then, nothing but a big blue star... I think I was out for 15 seconds or so... and ended up with Steve's cleat-marks down the front of my jersey... :D

Probably more than you bargained for there Reddog... sorry...

No worries. I was 82 as well out of Virginia.