Cards Getting Some Love

roland77

Rookie
Reaction score
Didn't see this posted yet, from Don Banks CNN/SI:

. Whose long-suffering fans have renewed reason for hope this offseason?
What's not to like about what the Arizona Cardinals have done so far in 2005? New logo. New quarterback. New offensive coordinator. And maybe a new page in franchise history being turned in time for that spanking new stadium that's on the way in 2006 and slated to host the Super Bowl in February 2008.

Conventional wisdom says the Cardinals are still the L.A. Clippers of the NFL, but if they land the starting running back they sorely lack in the first round of this month's draft -- and they're praying that Texas' Cedric Benson is still available when their No. 8 pick rolls around -- they will a legitimate threat to win the mild, mild NFC West.

Almost everywhere you look, there is cause for optimism entering year two of Dennis Green's coaching tenure. The offense that he is turning over to new coordinator Keith Rowen -- who once worked under Green in Minnesota -- looks only a lead running back shy of ready to roll.

True, the Cardinals didn't sign the Kurt Warner of 1999-2001, but the former Rams and Giants quarterback is still better than anyone Arizona ran out there under center in 2004 --Â Josh McCown, Shaun King and John Navarre included.

Give Warner time to jell with the Cardinals' three quality young receivers -- Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald and Bryant Johnson -- and protection behind an Arizona offensive line that is better than most people think, and he's still capable of playing winning football. Especially if he has a powerful, chains-moving runner like Benson to help take the pressure off the passing game.

If the Cardinals can close the gap between themselves, Seahawks and Rams on offense, watch out, because Arizona already fields one of the quickest, most impressive young defenses in the league. There are play-makers on every segment of the defense, with young standouts still on their way up.

And the unit's veteran leadership got better this offseason, with the addition of free agents like defensive end Chike Okeafor, linebacker Orlando Huff and safety Robert Griffith. Okeafor and Pro Bowl end Bertrand Berry give the Cardinals a fine pass-rushing tandem, and Darnell Dockett is an emerging star at tackle. Linebacker Karlos Dansby is coming off an eye-opening rookie season and strong safety Adrian Wilson is a dependable, unsung player in the mold of a young Griffith.

The talent level is rising in Arizona. And so are the expectations. After so many seasons of wilted hopes in the desert, the Cardinals' long dry spell is almost over.

:thumbup:

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SUPER BOWL!!!!!!!!!!

SUPER BOWL!!!!!!!!

Opps, sorry. Got carried away after reading the above article.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
SUPER BOWL!!!!!!!!!!

SUPER BOWL!!!!!!!!

Opps, sorry. Got carried away after reading the above article.

here's the ridiculous thing - and these are somewhat decents "ifs" - BUT - IF we get Henry and are able to take a CB at #8 and he's even somewhat okay - and if Warner is just 60% of what he used to be - I see no reason why this team SHOULDN'T challenge for the Conference Title Game. Great WRs with depth, Very good RB with depth, O-line good - shaky depth, great D-line with depth, Good LBers and an average Secondary (which could be good if the CB pans out) and you have a formula for bona fide - long term ass-wopoping!

It's really just two IFs - I'm assuming we;'re gonna get Henry - then it's just a matter of HITTING on that #8 pick and having Denny raise the dead one more time with Warner. It's not THAT much of a stretch.

Reaction score
Ironic that the national sporstwriters are making positive mention of the Cardinals improvements, yet the local hacks have not caught on!

It is really too bad that it isn't the other way around... Wouldn't it be better to give local readers and supporters some positive information on the team and let the rest of the nation continue to think that it is "same ol' Cardinals"?

:cards: :newcards: GBR!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardLogic said:
Ironic that the national sporstwriters are making positive mention of the Cardinals improvements, yet the local hacks have not caught on!

It is really too bad that it isn't the other way around... Wouldn't it be better to give local readers and supporters some positive information on the team and let the rest of the nation continue to think that it is "same ol' Cardinals"?

:cards: :newcards: GBR!
Quit being so damn logical.

:D

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I love the direction we're headed in but I think we're still a year away from being a true contender. However, we could make some noise in the division and get into the playoffs.

J4Cards

Veteran
Reaction score
THAT'S What we've been lacking ...

"... a bona fide - long term ass-wopoping!"

Install that on this team and there'll be no stopping 'em!

;)

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Don't get me wrong, I love the direction we're headed in but I think we're still a year away from being a true contender. However, we could make some noise in the division and get into the playoffs.

No playoffs yet. By 2006, maybe. Given a decent draft, we could win 8 games.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
here's the ridiculous thing - and these are somewhat decents "ifs" - BUT - IF we get Henry and are able to take a CB at #8 and he's even somewhat okay - and if Warner is just 60% of what he used to be - I see no reason why this team SHOULDN'T challenge for the Conference Title Game. Great WRs with depth, Very good RB with depth, O-line good - shaky depth, great D-line with depth, Good LBers and an average Secondary (which could be good if the CB pans out) and you have a formula for bona fide - long term ass-wopoping!

It's really just two IFs - I'm assuming we;'re gonna get Henry - then it's just a matter of HITTING on that #8 pick and having Denny raise the dead one more time with Warner. It's not THAT much of a stretch.

MAN! i can't wait for the ass-wopoping to start! i love a good ass-wopoping!

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
MAN! i can't wait for the ass-wopoping to start! i love a good ass-wopoping!

I drank a can of ass-woopin once... actually a half-rack.

Then I promptly got my ass wooped!

Edit:

My bad.... it was 'Canned Conan'

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
No playoffs yet. By 2006, maybe. Given a decent draft, we could win 8 games.

i'm with you skorp. i'm looking for 8-8 with some threatening of the division title and then in 2006 we're a contender. two drafts and a developed offense away.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
PortlandCardFan said:
The only good thing about Skkorp sayin that is that he is wrong more than he is right!!!

:p

yeah, but unfortunately, i'm usually right more than i'm wrong. especially when it comes to the cards' record.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
yeah, but unfortunately, i'm usually right more than i'm wrong. especially when it comes to the cards' record.

I'm never right or wrong.... I just go with the flow.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
With how weak the NFC West is, the title and home field for the first game is ours for the taking.

How sweet would it be to have the last game in Sun Devil Stadium be a home playoff game. I would crap myself

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
well...

just the fact that the Cards not only won 2 more games, but were competetive in most of their losses, I'm drinking a small shot of Koolaide...